Cutting thin wall brass tube

Advert

Cutting thin wall brass tube

Home Forums Scratch build Cutting thin wall brass tube

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rooster
    Participant
      @rooster

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to cut some thin wall brass tube, is there a way to do this without deforming it and not leave bad Burr's on the inner diameter ?

TIA

Advert
      Rooster
      Participant
        @rooster
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

A piercing saw is usaully the best bet, clean up with a flat file afterwards. A tapering circular needle file will remove any internal burrs.

On larger diameter tubes it is possible to use a tube cutter but these do have a tendency to collapse the cut end of the tuble.

Colin

Trevor Drabble 1
          Participant
            @trevordrabble1

Rooster , What diameter tube are you trying to cut ? Trevor.

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

Real easy!

Place the tube on a piece of fine Wet & Dray paper (to stop it slipping). Place a scalpel blade on top where you want to cut it. Roll the tube backwards and forwards under the blade, but do not exert much pressure. It will cut it cleanly!

Rooster
              Participant
                @rooster
                Posted by Trevor Drabble 1 on 11/10/2022 18:16:53:

Rooster , What diameter tube are you trying to cut ? Trevor.

It's 3mm od and 2.5mm Id

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

I have just told you how to cut it!

Rooster
                  Participant
                    @rooster
                    Posted by Bob Wilson on 11/10/2022 20:00:56:

I have just told you how to cut it!

Sorry I was answering a question.

Thanks I'll give it a go.

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

I have a video of me doing it, but can't find a way of putting a video on here!

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

I use that method fror cutting aluminium tube Bob but my brass tube seems to come in different hardnesses and I've not tried it with that. Does the method work with larger diameter brass tube, e.g. 6mm?

Colin

Kev.W
                        Participant
                          @kev-w

I've always done this with a fine cutting disc on my Dremel, hold the tube in one hand on a piece of card & without any pressure, the disc will cut it with minimal burr.

If you try to put pressure on it, it will cause the disc to shatter.

Edited By Kev.W on 11/10/2022 23:07:00

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

I only use this method for thin walled brass of small diameter. For 6mm, I would use a jeweller's saw. I cut lots and lots of brass tube, as my masts and rigging are 100% metal because I find it far quicker and easier than conventional masting and rigging, although very few would agree with me on this. This is my Olvebank – masts and spars are 100% metal – brass tube and rod, copper rod and silver steel rod. The rigging, including ratlines is all fine copper wire.

dscf7151 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

This method will not work with 6mm tube, because my blade is not long enough to go all round a 6mm tube! But it works very well with fine tubes –

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Yes, that's what I thought. Blades are fine for small diameters but you need a saw for larger ones. Just tools for the job really

Colin

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp

i just use a model makers pipe cutter that takes up to around 13mm od tubing.

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

H Rooster and welcome to the forum. I think just about all the cutting devices I have ever tried always peen the end over slightly. This can be rectified with a small round file, finishing of with it covered in fine wet and dry but it can be a pain. The two methods I find leave the least peening is either the rolling it beneath a blade as suggested by Bob and cutting it with a fine Dremmel disc, as Kev suggests.

Having said all that the best cut I have ever managed to achieve was using a metal cutting blade on a modellers table circular saw, such as the Proxxon KS230. Proxxon do a blade specifically for cutting non ferrous metals. If you are cutting a lot of pipe, say for steam plant use, it might be worth considering investing in one.

By the way, what's the bike?

Bob Wilson
                                    Participant
                                      @bobwilson59101

There have been a number of replies to this request giving good advice. It would be nice to know if we have been of any help in this matter!

Rooster
                                      Participant
                                        @rooster

Thank you for all your help and ideas, very much appreciated.I tried a couple but eventually used a method I found on YouTube.

I put it in my lathe and put a small rod through ( to stop it flying off never to be seen again). I used a Stanley knife (in its case) and applied gentle but firm pressure. And it worked.

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Rooster,

I think had we known you had a lathe you would have had much simpler answers from us most people asking questions are less well equipped

I use a rear tool post with an inverted blade parting off tool on my lathe, but I find a junior hacksaw also pretty handy.

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @bobwilson59101

I also cut tubes on the lathe by inserting a rod or even a drill in the tail stock and advancing it into the tube. Cutting it does not damage the tailstock drill, because that is stationary. But for fine thin-walled brass tube, I find the scalpel blade is the most convenient. When using the lathe, I part off with a fine metal-cutting jeweller's saw.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)