Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Advert

Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Home Forums Sailing Models Colin Archer 1:15 scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bruce dixon
    Participant
      @brucedixon30601

I recently aquired a Billing boat Colin Archer 1:15 scale (non Wood Hull) And having problems figuring out the sail rigging It has only one (1) servo Winch.

can someone help me with photo's how to hookup sales.

Would like to set it up with 3 Servo's but I don't thing it can be done with the upper deck installed. so for now need to set it up with 1 servo

Thank you

Advert
      bruce dixon
      Participant
        @brucedixon30601

Help rigging sails with one servo winch

bruce dixon
        Participant
          @brucedixon30601

344739633_928584871730797_6240577830419364557_n.jpg

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

Hello again bruce,

If you only have one winch servo, I would suggest that you use it to control only the mainsail. Rig the winch to only PULL the mainsail towards the centreline of the boat. The wind will then pull the boom (and sail) out on the opposite tack.

It looks like you have a rudder servo attatched to the rudder -can just see a rod sticking out aft. I see no propeller or shaft = no motor??

I see you have also posted on my Colin Archer build-log, if you look at some of the earlier photos there, you can see my servo installations. Due to installing a scale interior and use of space, I decided to use one servo on the mainsail and one on the foresail. The inner foresail is not controlled except that it is guided by a sheet which is tethered to a brass 'horse' just forward of the main mast.

A single winch on the foresail -as I have installed- does work, but not perfectly as it has a tendency to bind on loose sheet when running out. This causes the loose sheet to double back and lock itself onto the winch instead of playing out the sheet as needed. The winch needs to be operated slowly to avoid this binding.

For simplicity, I would recommend that both the foresails are allowed to tack freely from side to side, controlled only by a sheet with some elastic at each clew.

Also allow the mizzen sail to tack freely using an elastic sheet. The mizzen only needs to move a small distance from the centreline, so thin 1-1.5mm elastic attatched to the end of the mizzen boom will do the job here.

Be aware that without a motor this boat is not easy to turn while sailing in light winds. Neither boatspeed nor rudder size are great enough.

If you want full, easy turn control you need a 540 – 600 size motor!

If you want to install 2 servos to controll the foresail adequately I can tell you how to get it done but it involves work! The best way to achieve good steering control with this boat is -in my opinion- to install an motor. That might be easier than installing full foresail control. It will allow you to potter about in little or NO wind and enjoy just looking at her on the water!

If you look at my Fisher 34 build log, you can see the installation for 2 servos to control the foresail in a scale-like manner. I would suggest that this is more trouble than it is worth…..but it does at least work.

There are one or two very smart chaps out there who have set up sail control og more than one sail from one servo but I think this entails a few sheets on TOP of the deck. The Colin Archer has too many projections and vertical posts to permit lots of on-deck sheeting -it will get tangled up PDQ i think.

Hope all this is not too mind boggling, I'll stay 'logged in' for a few days in case you need more 'noise' from me.

George

bruce dixon
            Participant
              @brucedixon30601

A quick answer while review yoiur nice response. Thank you So much.

It does have a motor.I believe it is a 550.

What do I need to order for Sail winch servo's.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

Again thank you

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

I must first advise you that I am not an expert in the field of model R/C yachts. I have only built 2 ! and they are both shown in my build logs in this Forum. However I have done a lot of 'head scratching' since starting planning the Fisher 34 in 2019.

I live in south-west Norway, there is not a lot of choice on local shops regarding R/C equipment. I ended up buying Graupner radio control and Graupner winch servos. These were not cheap and now I think, only available from Graupner direct. I have bought a few servos from krickshop.de via Cornwall Model Boats. These I beleive are the same servos as Graupner produce, but are a little cheaper. Krickshop.de have an internet shop for europe but don't send to Norway…therefore I have ordered from CMB in UK. I do not remember the reference number for the servos just now, but will send post later…or maybe tomorrow. They may be posted in the build logs but not sure just where.

Irrespective of make of servo I recommend that you only buy a winch with a full 6 revolutions end-to end. This ensures that they will pull a sheet length of about 35 cm. You can then adjust/reduce the amount of sheet wound on to the winch -via the transmitter.

Hitec also produce a sailwinch servo. Not sure if it has 6 revolutions.I have seen references from other yacht enthusiasts to relatively cheap winches in the UK. Some others on this Forum will have cheaper alternatives to the winches I ended up buying I'm sure. In which country do you live?

You will need to spend some time 'google-ing' many of your thoughts and questions in order to do some personal education on R/C sailboats. There are many videos on youtube. 'Save' any usefull photos and usefull references you find.

I will try to help when I can, but I cannot offer a 'full education' on this subject…because I don't know enough crooksmiley .

I will try to find references to the servos I have in the Colin Archer, but there are certainly cheaper winches than mine available.

George

Edited By gecon on 18/05/2023 17:20:57

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

Mainboom winch, this is a Krick 1004 MG. Only 4 turns end-to-end but JUST enough sheetlength pull for my CA mainboom. The sheet is routed to the mainboom via a brass tube through the steering well and up to the mainboom just forward of the mizzan mast.20210612_222654.jpg20210612_222703.jpg

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

Graupner Regatta Eco speed -6 turns sailwinch. Krick 1004MG sailwinch 4 turns. Krick 1006MG has 6 turns.20210611_135434.jpg

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

look at http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk. In the search bar write 'sailwinches'. You can compare specs. Hitec winch is shown there too.

For the more expensive Graupner winches, look at http://www.graupner.de. The Krick equivalent of the Graupner Eco Speed is the one which costs about £80. type1406MG 6 turns and same specs as Eco speed.

Some UK-dwellers may well be able to give better advice on more reasonably priced alternatives.

George

Edited By gecon on 18/05/2023 19:18:58

Edited By gecon on 18/05/2023 19:21:30

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

Bruce,

If you study the videos of 'Gringo Bob' on 'Sail Tales' you will not go wrong.

George

gecon
                        Participant
                          @gecon

More info from 'Gringo Bob',

In my Fisher 34 I used spring tensioners on the 'continuous loop' section. Bob just tensions the whole lot by sliding the servo. I'm not sure if this is the better method, but he says it works!

I'll leave you in peace to absorb all this. It takes a while if you have never studied the subject before. Took me a year!

I'll be logging off for the weekend now.

George

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)