Brushless ESC no Reverse

Advert

Brushless ESC no Reverse

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Brushless ESC no Reverse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bob Mc
    Participant
      @bobmc91481

Hi All…

I hope I am not going over something which more experienced r/c modellers will know about as standard but as a beginner I have found that trying to get information for setting up a brushless motor has led me into a right merry go round.

I purchased a Brushless ESC and wired it up as normal, the motor worked fine…Forward… but no Reverse…whilst awaiting info from the provider of aforementioned ESC I trawled the internet for advice.

At the expense of looking a complete idiot I put together the below in the hope that others may find it useful. and I have to say my head was spinning after ploughing through what I found.

Advice note 1..Yes you can easily reverse the motor…just reverse two wires on the motor..! …not that easy when motor is in boat 100yds away.

Advice note 2..fit micro switches to motor wires and use one of the Tx switches to select reverse. Good idea but not what I wanted, ..in fact rubbish idea.

3… Don't bother with reverse.. this is what one of the gentlemen at the club has done with his…. Another load of rubbish.

4… It can be done using the R/c Trasmitter …. No it can't if ESC won't provide reverse function.

5…You have to purchase a programmer… but Which One! no info on the new ESC..in fact no numbering or type number whatever!

5/a… I managed to get a programming 'Card'.. which is little plastic thing with Chinglish instructions… Didn't work..

6…at last the Ebay provider did send the 'instructions'… as I suspected the operation that was needed took a lot of experimentation to decipher what the instructions actually were.

I know someone will say….you should have asked us!

The ESC in question.

dsc_0207.jpg

If anyone is interested into the actual process just post a forum reply…otherwise I will take it that its common knowledge.

..Bob..

Advert
      Bob Mc
      Participant
        @bobmc91481

How to get the ESC to reverse using throttle.

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Is it an aeroplane unit ?? they don't need reverse

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Are you sure you haven't got a speed controller designed for a model car? There are a number of brushless speed controllers designed for cars that do not go immediately into reverse. The first time you pull the lever back to go into reverse the controller applies a brake effect, useful for car racing when you want to slow for a corner without having to go in reverse. This would not be noticeable on a bench test but you can prove this by going in reverse twice, without going forward again, when reverse is then applied.

If this is the case then I'm afraid you are stuck with it and would have to buy an alternative speed controller to operate a model boat normally.

Kev.W
            Participant
              @kev-w

If it says TSKY 120A on the fan, take a look at this Utube video video

Bob Mc
              Participant
                @bobmc91481

Again..thanks for your replies much appreciated..

The motor now goes into reverse after fathoming the instructions, Richard.. must say I didn't know about going into reverse two times but problem is now solved and I can go straight from Fwd to Rev using throttle.

With the ESC OFF.

Put the throttle on the Tx unit to Neutral, ie mid position. and switch Tx ON.

Next to the ESC On – Off switch is a tiny press button switch, this is the 'Set switch'.

Starting with the ESC OFF, and Tx ON,

Press the tiny 'Set' switch down (leave down) then switch ESC.. ON.

An Led on the ESC now blinks but do not let it blink more than a couple of seconds or you will have selected programming mode which needs the programming card, so release Set sw.

nb..the Led's are under the ESC unit that I have.

You have now set the Neutral position.

Move the throttle stick to the required amount or maximum throttle position.

Again press the 'Set' switch and an Led will blink…nb not necessarilly the same Led.

You have now set the max throttle position. release the Set sw after a blink or two.

Move the throttle stick to max Reverse postion or where you want max reverse.

Press Set switch and let Led blink a couple of times.

Switch off ESC. it must be left OFF for at least 3 seconds before using the ESC again.

Hopefully the thing is programmed….if not… I am away on hols. best of luck.

…Bob…

Bob Mc
                Participant
                  @bobmc91481

Thanks Kevin…..

The video is a fully comprehensive procedure, when looking through the I/net I did see this video but I mistakenly got the impression that the screen he was showing was somehow a programming interface…doh!

I think by the time I got to see it my brain was frazzled..! anyway thanks again and now I know how to sort out the other parameters on this ESC.. all without using a programming card…so my instructions previously that a program card is needed if you manage to get into program mode is not correct, the rest is ok.

Thanks again …. Bob…

Haig
                  Participant
                    @haig

There is nothing more useful than time spent on basic research.

There are ESC's designed for aircraft that only go forwards.

There are those designed for cars that go forwards and reverse and have other functions including braking etc.

Then there are ESCs that are designed to go forwards and backwards which is what most model boat users need.

It is important to review these functions before selecting an appropriate ESC. There is plenty of information available for those willing to search. If you find one in your range then look for downloads of instruction leaflets to see if they are not too complicated to calibrate or program before you buy.

Having said that I had 2 brushless ESCs that had reverse, but you could not program the reverse function to go more than 50% in reverse. This was pretty useless to me when I wanted to stop the boat.in a hurry. Those 2 ESCs have now been replaced by 2 cheaper but more practical ones.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)