bowed keel

Advert

bowed keel

Home Forums Static modelling bowed keel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Clive Harris
    Participant
      @cliveharris32383

Hi

I have just obtained my first static model kit, however the previous owner has had it stored for some time and the ply keel has developed a bow along its length .

What is the best way to straighten this prior to starting the build.

Many thanks Clive

Advert
      Clive Harris
      Participant
        @cliveharris32383
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Hi Clive,

Best thing to try first is to give the keel a good soak in water and then weight it down on a flat surface. Give it two or three days to dry out and see if this does the trick. It might need a couple of sessions to get it fully straight.

If this doesn't work then the next method would be to try steaming it as the steam penetrates the wood better, Weight down and allow to dry out as above.

There are more drastic methods involving things like ammonia but I would try the easy ones first.

Colin

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

Hi Clive

Colin's advice is sound but I would soak test a small area of the keel first just in case the kit manufacturer has used a ply containing soluble glue….you don't want the whole keel delaminating whilst soaking.

Personally I would steam it as the exposure time is very limited alternatively you could weight the keel down on a flat surface in a high humidity area (shower or bathroom) where it will be exposed to the humidity but not directly to water.

There is a good chance that the keel will sort itself out without wetting if you use a substantial building board for the construction process as the frames will force the keel into the correct orientation.

Good luck

Paul

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Paul makes a good point. The ply ought to be effectively waterproof but if it is a very old kit that might not be the case. There should be enough ply in the kit to use an offcut as a test piece I would imagine.

If you have a portable steam cleaner in the house it might be a good alternative.

Colin

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

I would just make a new keel!

Bob

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Nothing like a bit of lateral thinking Bob!

Colin

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

I can't imagine a keel is very complicatedsmiley At the worst, a strip of wood with slots cut in it, but I am not very familiar with kits. What does it look like, have you a picture of it?

Bob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)