Blue Star cargo liner (1948) 32 feet to 1 inch

Advert

Blue Star cargo liner (1948) 32 feet to 1 inch

Home Forums Static modelling Blue Star cargo liner (1948) 32 feet to 1 inch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101
      Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

I have started moving again on my latest static model, the Blue Star cargo liner Imperial Star, of 1948 I began this last year, but lost interest in it in November. I started again a few days ago, and have now spent a total of 23 hours on its construction. Apart from the image below, I have also assembled the display case. I am currently in the process of painting the hull, having painted the white and red sections yesterday. Once the main black hull colour has been added, the model will begin to look a lot smarter. I don't anticipate a great deal of interest from fellow modelmakers, but the reason I lost interest was because of too many enquiries to purchase the completed model! When that happens, it makes it feel like a private commission, and rapidly becomes a "millstone round my neck!"face 24. My mood was not helped by the continual rain, cold and dark weather. In the early stages of a model, a lot of the work has to be done outside where my workbench is open to the elements. Really, I should have got the early work completed before the bad weather began.

It was a lovely mild and sunny day when I resumed work, so things are now getting easier.

Bob

imperial star 20th feb 2017.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 20/02/2017 08:02:06

Bob Wilson
        Participant
          @bobwilson59101

Hull shaping and smoothing complete, a lick of paint has made all the difference!

Bob

imperial star 33.jpg

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

I have almost completed the bridge section now, and it is beginning to look a lot better. (Forgot to include the penblush)

Bob

imperial star 10th march 2017.jpg

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

Making slow progress –

Bob

imperial star 26th march 2017.jpg

Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2

Hi Bob

Coming along very nicely now, but…..

……..I`ve just got to clear something up………And please don`t take offence?

Your first picture of this build, was extremely rough and very out of charactor………Was there a reason for this?

Bob

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

They all look like that when I start them! Every one!face 1 It is just that I haven't posted others in similar early stages. It is moving along in exactly the same manner that they all do – from horribly rough and jagged, like they have been hacked out with a machette, to quite neat and tidy!

Bob

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

Like these pictures. East African in early stages and then when complete.

Bob

east african.jpg

east african complete.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 26/03/2017 17:06:44

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

OK, Bob

I have often wondered, but never had the cheek to ask the question!

It certainly is a shock to the system!

Bob

Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101

Bob,

I don't mind people asking. Don't have any trade secrets! smiley Here is the pretty little Belle of Lagos when just started, and then when completed.

Bob

belle of lagos 1.jpg

belle of lagos 2.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Thanks Bob

That sure is rough!

From a very ugly duckling to the proverbial graceful Swan!

Is this the effect you're intention?

Bob

Ps………Which of all your lovely models are you particularly pleased with?

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

Not really,

I have never been much good at carving. So my shaping is done with quite heavy rasps and files, coarse, medium and fine wet & dry paper. Then, as the whole lot is covered up with paper plates, all the roughness disappears.

Bob

david taylor
                            Participant
                              @davidtaylor

hi bob,

I think you should show more of your building from the very basics, it shows us what detail you put into each model as it develops, also it shows us what skills you have to make a boat turn out like they do. they are a credit to you.thumbs up keep up the good work.

david

Bob Wilson
                              Participant
                                @bobwilson59101

Thanks, I did used to put complete build logs on, but there was very little interest shown, so my enthusiasm has declined over the years. But if you click on my photo album on the left under my name, you will find 174 images.

I have sent you a PM.

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 27/03/2017 09:52:03

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

I have now painted the funnel, and this one is turning out to be a real beauty, but I am always amazed that so few ship modelmakers like building this sort of ship. Took one to the local ship model club on Saturday, and as usual, eyed glazed over, and hardly a casual glance! Sometimes wonder why I bother! – Bob

imperial star 27th march 2017 (large).jpg

Reg Hale 1
                                  Participant
                                    @reghale1

Hi Bob

Your models are things of beauty

I wish I had the skill to model in such fine detail

Please keep the photos coming, I for one and I am sure lots of other modellers

find them superb

Reg

Bob Wilson
                                    Participant
                                      @bobwilson59101

Thanks,

I dare say you all have the skill if you try it. Miniatures are far easier to build than big ones, and are more convenient. As you can see above, I tend to hack and chop out the rough hulls in a most unprofessional manner with rasps, heavy files and even saws. I make full use of car body filler to plug holes and dents, and replace bits that I have inadvertantly cut off. But as long as the end result is OK, the methods don't matter a great deal to me!blush Even the rigging is just glued on in short, straight lengths, as I haven't the skill or patience to mess about with hundreds of knots. I find that most modellers say they would like to be able to build miniatures, but know full well that it is totally beyond them – when in fact, in most cases it isn't! When I first saw the detailed miniature ships of Donald McNarry, it never once crossed my mind that I couldn't build them, so I just went ahead and got on with it!face 1

Bob

david taylor
                                      Participant
                                        @davidtaylor

hi bob,

thanks for your link very interesting how you model them. my interest is in the old lifeboats and would like to make some miniatures of them. what sort of scale would you say is ideal for boats that are anything from 30ft to 46ft full size. I am not to well up on scale sizes. you can see the sort I build in my albums.

david

Bob Wilson
                                        Participant
                                          @bobwilson59101

Hi David,

I can't be of much help with lifeboats I am afraid. The boats on my ship models are usually only about half an inch long. It really depnds on what size you want to build them. A 30 foot boat would only be 7.5 inches at 4 feet to 1 inch, but at 2 feet to 1 inch, would be 15 inches long. I suppose it depends on what sort of detail you want to include . Maybe you know Dave Collier, he would probably be able to give better advice than me.

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @bobwilson59101

Imperial Star followed the usual course. Virtually no interest shown by fellow ship modellers throughout the build, and I even kept losing interest myself. Snapped up within hours of completion. face 1 It has taken months. There was a time when I could build something like that in 3 to 4 weeks, but the constant pressure to build more has worn me down.

Bob

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)