Arm, winch servo or home made winch?

Advert

Arm, winch servo or home made winch?

Home Forums Sailing Models Arm, winch servo or home made winch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1
      Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

Hi all,

just thinking ahead a bit. I have a fancy drum winch servo for my vintage Marblehead, but I'm thinking a basic winch for the model of Vanity. Or rather a few of them as she's a large gaff rigged cutter with a tops'l and three stays'ls.

Now, I can't really see the point in buying an expensive proportional winch servo when out there on the water is a huge proof of where the sails are everytime you move the stick. So, I'm thinking why not build my own winches, using a plastic worm and wheel set to nullify metal to metal "noise". The beauty of a worm set is that it cannot be pulled backwards, which must be useful.

One for the main, one for the collection of staysails and one for the topsail, although I have no idea how they're manipulated!, so maybe just 2 winches, using simple 6 volt motors. I can make bracketry, spools, etc. Any reason why I shouldn't try this idea from the more experienced yachters.?

Opinions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Martin

Dodgy Geezer 1
        Participant
          @dodgygeezer1

I have no yacht experience at all, but the major advantage of a commercial product is likely to be reliability….

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 02/05/2017 12:41:30

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Well, if ESCs are anything to go by, I can't agree! I'm for ever reading that they've gone AWOL.

My home made mechanisms could hardly be unreliable as they are non electronic. OK, the Microswitches could faiI I suppose<G> But with shielded ballraces, the screw bearings would be fine.

So I take it you haven't yet found the missing yachts from the small boat kit ranges?

Cheers,

Martin

Dodgy Geezer 1
            Participant
              @dodgygeezer1

I must admit that I was thinking of home made proportional gear – but even a simple winch with limits is going to need a lot of waterproofing compared to a purpose-designed unit.

I occasionally see the Marinecraft yachts – but the kits are collectable. Way out of my price range…

Martin Field 1
              Participant
                @martinfield1

The whole unit will be removable from the bat, but I don't anticipate much water ingress. Using brass, nylon and aluminium there'll be no rust problems and the small amount of electrics can be waterproofed with sealer compounds.

Martin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)