New beginnings and D of E

Advert

New beginnings and D of E

Home Forums Building Kits New beginnings and D of E

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Andy C
    Participant
      @andyc56856

Okay, as alluded to in a previous post on the Mr Tom build, my son Tom, irony huh, is building a boat. I know a youngster building a boat. Isn’t there a thread somewhere about that.
      Anyway not to get side tracked, the decision to build was actually based off his doing the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award. He needs a skill as part of the the process. He chose to build a boat. Strange, but true. He has done some woodwork in “Tech” class at school, I have too many unstarted plans, so made sense. I would say some skill too, but the jury is still out on that one.

so, we sat down and looked through all the options available and shortlisted a few models. Sea Princess from Ezebuilt was an option, as was Ellie / Sea Spray by Paul T. Both good looking models but ultimately a little complicated for a first build.

Glynn has some fine models to choose from and the UTE is a good size, easy to build with room for some personalisation. Choice made.

The only other thing required is an assessor to oversee the build and sign off. I have approached Ashley to see if he’s willing to help out and he agreed. So the next few posts will be a build log of Tom’s progress in his first boat build.

A question, though about photo’s with people in them, especially children. How does that work in terms of privacy etc?

Andy

Edited By Andy C on 10/01/2023 08:04:58

Edited By Andy C on 10/01/2023 08:05:27

Advert
      Andy C
      Participant
        @andyc56856

Tom building a Glynn Guest UTE for Duke of Edinburgh

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

That all soumds very encouraging Andy, UTE is an excellent choice. Do you have the magazine building instructions as well as the plan?

As far as sharing photos online there is guidance such as on here:

**LINK**

Some of our members may have some useful comments to make. Is there any need to show your son's face? Photos from behind showing him working on the model may be enough to illustrate the build log, after all the focus is on the model.

Colin

Andy C
          Participant
            @andyc56856

Thanks Colin. I will have a look at the photos. By the way the link to the T&C does not work. Comes up with an error page.
            Andy

Andy C
            Participant
              @andyc56856

I have the plan and the build article from the original magazine. Should help. You are right others on here will be a big help too

Andy

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Andy, I have reported the broken link. It's probably just a consequence of the transfer of the MyTimeMeda software to Mortons. I will update when I get a response.

Colin

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Andy,

I'm told the link will be fixed. It should be:

**LINK**

The relevant section is probably:

3.2 You agree that any material (including any Intellectual Property Rights in such material), including but not limited to material sent via chat services, feedback, bulletin boards or articles or any other material submitted for publication on the Web Site or in using any of the Web Site Services (“User Generated Content&rdquo may be retained as the property of Mortons Media Group Ltd.. Mortons Media Group Ltd. shall have no obligations with regard to the User Generated Content to monitor the User Generated Content to ensure that it complies with applicable laws or regulations. You remain solely responsible for the User Generated Content in accordance with Clause 6.

Hope this helps,

Colin

Andy C
                  Participant
                    @andyc56856

Thanks Colin

I will make sure the photos are of the boat. Just so you know, the link still does not work. The one at the bottom of this page anyway.
                    Andy

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

Andy,

I only got the message a couple of hours ago so not surprising really. Mortons have to do a bit of reprogramming to connect the MTM software links to their platform. You need to give them a bit of leeway as the systems are quite different. I know this from personal experience elsewhere.

Colin

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

Andy c,

Even 30 years ago when I was still an active teacher of CDT, one could not "publish" visual evidence and pictures of other persons children WITHOUT written permission of their parents.

And in todays even more strict climate, it is considered an absolute no no!

I remember many years ago, a Teacher in London was sacked and had his Department of Education licence to teach ever again stripped from him because he used his class of kids to appear as the backing "group" of singers to a very famous band of musitions, who made a record about some bricks and a wall, and hadn't asked some of the parents if their children could perform.

And that was in 1988

ashley needham
                        Participant
                          @ashleyneedham69188

Just a thought, but it maybe that young Tom’s face MAY be required in some of the photos, for the purposes of the D o E adjudicators to ascertain it IS him building the boat, however these photos do not need to be posted on-line.

Colins suggestion of a rear-view shot may work, or there again, does he need to be in any of the on-line snaps? We can take your word it is him building it.

Possibly, if I am to assess the overall build, I might need to actually see evidence of him building the odd bit, but these photos could be by personal E-mail and in the strictest confidence.

Ashley

Andy C
                          Participant
                            @andyc56856
                            Posted by ashley needham on 11/01/2023 23:33:42:

Just a thought, but it maybe that young Tom’s face MAY be required in some of the photos, for the purposes of the D o E adjudicators to ascertain it IS him building the boat, however these photos do not need to be posted on-line.

Colins suggestion of a rear-view shot may work, or there again, does he need to be in any of the on-line snaps? We can take your word it is him building it.

Possibly, if I am to assess the overall build, I might need to actually see evidence of him building the odd bit, but these photos could be by personal E-mail and in the strictest confidence.

Ashley

Hi Ashley

thanks again for agreeing to do this Tom has a school website for uploading proof photos, this is why I took them in the first place This is as you say a necessary thing, but it is the schools own site.

Thought it would be good to show the build here, so will consider some photos from behind or tight in to the model too.

It is a long build as it is over a 3 month period, so no rush just yet.

First actual photos of the wooden bits to follow. We have the templates cut and spray glued to the ply. Some cut out, but some bandsaw action this weekend to finish off the parts required. Then a dry fit to see it all fits together nicely, then some glue up to follow.
                            Andy

Andy C
                            Participant
                              @andyc56856

SandBandsawTemplate stickingFirst cutsLong time no posts, so time for an update. Plan cut out and stuck to the right thickness ply. Got Tom cutting the 2mm ply by hand and using the bandsaw for the thicker stuff. He is a quick learner and made short work of this task. Cutting close to, but not on the line.
                              Next up was a go on our new toy, belt & disc sander. Coming along nicely, too.
                              he has to upload evidence of his work so lots of photos being taken p. Now I am taking them of the wood for here as well as with him in them for school. Template cutting

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi Andy,

I hope he enjoys the build, and comes back to the hobby after the girls, booze, marriage, & Kids phase of life, I did

I posted a picture of my grandson George working on my lathe some years ago on the forum and received a comment regarding the photo from the boss CB. He is now 6 foot tall and built like a brick outhouse !!

Regards Ray

Andy C
                                Participant
                                  @andyc56856

Thanks Ray. Probably not but we’ll see. He is looking to go into engineering at university, so you never know.

Andy

Andy C
                                  Participant
                                    @andyc56856

Some more work on Tom boat.

Hull frames going in.

frame glue up

Hull Deck and botton now guled up

hull

Hull sides being added

hull sides

Hull now complete.

hull complete

On to the Cabin and Deck cover. This was version one. He liked the look of the Sea Spray cabin, but after cutting soon found it was not quite the right shape. Settle on a sort of modified version using the ones at the botton, not yet cut out. Some new tools in use here too. Had to drill holes in the windows and use a coping saw with a small blade to cut out the windows. Some filing and sanding to smooth things out and actually looks good.

cabin v0.1

Here the deck and cabin combing are beling glued together before being glued in place.

deck combingNext on to painting. We have used tissue and Eze-dope to cover the hull, cabing and deck, but to be honest, although it was a good learning tool and and looks sort of okay, it is not completely without issues. Some more practice needed to get it all to a nice smooth finish. Next time maybe just a few coats of Sand and Seal or Eze-Dope followed by some primwer filler will do the job. We had a couple of coats of primer filler followed by a couple of coats of grey automotive primer on the hull and it looked okay. We did a bath test and no leaks so he is happy with that.

Next up some top cots of Liquitex Cadmium Red Deep Hue, which dries to a nice flat colour for the hull and Nissan Ink Blue going on hull sides and bottom half of the cabin. We are thing the deck could stay primed grey to look like the non-slip coating on many boats, but will see once the boat is finally unmasked completely.

Deck and Cabin Paintpainting

The hull as you can see has some paint runs, where it was applied a little too heavily. will try rubbing down and adding a couple more lighter coats and see what happens.

Over all, I must say Tom has a knack for wood working and takes to new tools really well. Were learning opportuniets made, oh yes. did he recut some of the bits, certainly, but to ave a finished boat he built himself is amazing.

I will add some more pics of the electrical internals once the boat has it final coats of paint on it.

Ashley.

I will DM you some of the pictures with Tom actually doing the cutting, sanding and painting etc. That way you can see he has dome the work himself. We are planning on trying to bring it down to the lake, but he has a busy week end next week so it will be the week after maybe.

ashley needham
                                    Participant
                                      @ashleyneedham69188

That looks great, Well done Tom.

A few runs in the paint…who hasn’t had that, eh?

Replied to pm. Ashley

Andy C
                                      Participant
                                        @andyc56856

Thnaks Ashley

Rattle cans take a bit of getting used too. Hopefully Tom will want to build another one at some point and extend his skill base a bit.

Andy

ashley needham
                                        Participant
                                          @ashleyneedham69188

I have signed this off. I think we can safely say that this is a very decent first build, considering the lack of any previous experience and demonstrated a range of skills. Andy sent me further pictures as we discussed earlier earlier on.

Use of a plan and its interpretation.

Safe use of various tools (as pictured)

Use of PPe (goggles and such)

Understanding and use of adhesives and sealers.

Use of paint via spray cans to produce an acceptable finish.

Gaining an Understanding of some electrical principles via the setting up of the various r/c bits, battery and motor.

Use of physical fixings (motor, shaft, prop, rudder)

Its quite a list when you write it down. We all take our AWESOME skills for granted, but if you have not done it before, there’s a lot to learn.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Excellent result. Tom has done really well with this.

Colin

Andy C
                                            Participant
                                              @andyc56856
                                              Posted by ashley needham on 08/05/2023 17:06:03:

I have signed this off. I think we can safely say that this is a very decent first build, considering the lack of any previous experience and demonstrated a range of skills. Andy sent me further pictures as we discussed earlier earlier on.

Use of a plan and its interpretation.

Safe use of various tools (as pictured)

Use of PPe (goggles and such)

Understanding and use of adhesives and sealers.

Use of paint via spray cans to produce an acceptable finish.

Gaining an Understanding of some electrical principles via the setting up of the various r/c bits, battery and motor.

Use of physical fixings (motor, shaft, prop, rudder)

Its quite a list when you write it down. We all take our AWESOME skills for granted, but if you have not done it before, there’s a lot to learn.

Ashley

Thanks Ashley.

Tom has actually really enjoyed this build. When using the machines there was a real look of concentration going on. I think they have similar woodwork equipment at school that he has not yet used, so he now has good understanding of them which will help.
                                              a couple more pictures to post if the electrics and a maiden voyage to finish it off.
                                              Andy

Andy C
                                              Participant
                                                @andyc56856
                                                Posted by Colin Bishop on 08/05/2023 18:03:11:

Excellent result. Tom has done really well with this.

Colin

Thanks Colin.

i hope I can get him to build another at some point, l’iAds of plans to choose from. Any recommendations for a new build. Easy but with a touch of elevated skill level?

Andy

ashley needham
                                                Participant
                                                  @ashleyneedham69188

…..bumper boat….🚢. (Ideal)

The Long Build
                                                  Participant
                                                    @thelongbuild
                                                    Posted by neil howard-pritchard on 11/01/2023 21:43:05:

I remember many years ago, a Teacher in London was sacked and had his Department of Education licence to teach ever again stripped from him because he used his class of kids to appear as the backing "group" of singers to a very famous band of musitions, who made a record about some bricks and a wall, and hadn't asked some of the parents if their children could perform.

And that was in 1988

Is this correct ?. or is it that a teacher in the US was sacked because she showed the film to her class without parents permission. ?.

TIL in 1987, a Kentucky teacher was fired for showing the movie "Pink Floyd: The Wall", after her students voted to watch it. She appealed the firing all the way to the Supreme Court. During the appeal process, 6th circuit court Judge H. Ted Milburn called the film "gross and bizarre". : r/todayilearned (reddit.com)

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Andy,

You really can't go wrong with Vic Smeed's model designs, have a look on the SARIK website for suitable projects ?

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)