Down sizing

Advert

Down sizing

Home Forums All things floating Down sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John O’C
    Participant
      @johnoc

Hello All

It has been a while since I was here.

My wife had been very ill for the last few of years and a few weeks ago she died. The COPD finally got her.

This has made me think I do not need to be rattling around in a 1930's 3 bed bungalow and so I intend down sizing.

I will therefore be selling off everything to do with my model boats which I haven't really touched for over a year. It is all the bits and pieces you gather. Seems sad to bin it all. I have the hull of the MTB I discussed a few years ago my part built paddle boat, my lovely Norfolk Broads cruiser, thank you for the drawings, and another push tug which was my first boat and is tucked away in it's own carry case.

How best to sell it all to someone who can use it all?

Regards

John

Advert
      John O’C
      Participant
        @johnoc

How best to sell it all.

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

Hi John

Very sorry to hear that.

Is there any chance you might get interested again in the future or have you decided that's it?

It's always a tricky question on how to advise best to dispose of model boats and related as it's a small market. You could provide more detail on here first to see if anyone's interested and Mahem have a For Sale section but you may need a minimum number of posts?

Are you a member of a club?

Otherwise it's the usual internet and Facebook sites.

Chris

harry smith 1
          Participant
            @harrysmith1

Hi John

Your un known cruiser is a HMM Wavemaster.

Harry

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Very sorry to hear about your Wife John.

I have recently been involved in the process of disposing of a deceased modeller's boats and workshop contents.

Basically the approach adopted is to sell the larger items separately, eBay etc, With regards to the workshop smallercontents these break down into materials, tools and fittings plus things like motors and electrical/electronic items. Two of the local model boat clubs are intending to auction these off later in the year and we are dividing them up into lots such as motors, wood, paints, fittings, styrene, brass tube/rod etc. There are some speed controllers and receivers too.

Colin

Charles Oates
              Participant
                @charlesoates31738

John, my sincere condolences, it's an awful time to get through. I've seen others in a similar situation, and the emotional turmoil makes longer term decisions difficult. Twice I've seen friends give up the hobby only to return to it later when life settled into a new shape, they missed the camaraderie and positivity of building and sharing with friends in the club.perhaps you can consider keeping some of your stuff in case this happens to you.

Whatever happens, all the best to you..

Charles.

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi John,

Very sad news about your wife's passing

But you are not alone unfortunately, I lost my wife last November after an 18 month battle with breast cancer, my only advice 8 months on is don't make any big decisions just yet !

I thank god everyday for my interests and hobbies, although it has completely knocked the wind out my sails.

Kindest Regards

Ray

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Firstly my condolences John. Not an easy time for you.

It reminds me of a girlfriends father when I was a teenager. He was a door to door insurance salesman, along the lines of the man from the Pru, which were common in those days! He always said to me that he advises anyone who has a close relative who passes away to do absolutely nothing for a year. Don't sell the house, don't get rid of stuff, don't do anything for a year. His reasoning was that A) You are not in a strong enough state of mind to think and evaluate the best course of action while you are dealing with grief and B) Your circumstances may change as you move forward and requirements could change. He also said that people tended to look for things to do to keep themselves busy and keep their mind off the grief and, invariably, a clear out becomes a favourite course of action. He said he had seen numerous cases where decisions to move or get rid of things had been regretted in the colder light of day 12 months down the line.

That was over forty years ago now but I still think of his advice and I still think it is just as relevant today.

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp

I cannot add any more to what has been said about your models,

ButIi send you my prayers and best wishes and may your wife rest in eternal peace.

God bless you both.

John O’C
                      Participant
                        @johnoc

Thank you all so much.

A pause for thought is called for and maybe a round up of everything I have to better see if I can take some of it with me. I have to admit to having attachments to a couple the boats I have built and maybe I will get out more now to sail them.

As to the down sizing, as I have gotten older the maintenance of the bungalow has become more daunting. There is a total lack of ethical/ skilfull trades people about which means that for 90% of the maintenance it is down to me and that is becoming a millstone that I do not wish to carry.

On that basis I am aware as I get older this place will start getting run down and I do not want to be responsible for that. It is the main reason I took early retirement.The SNHS bought the hospital I was head of estates at and though I tried my best it was obvious maintenance was not near the top of any lists.

I spent 4 years building the hospital and then 15 years trying to maintain its standards but knew I was beat in the end.

So I will down size for my own health so to speak.

Once again many thanks for making me think a little harder.

Regards

John

gecon
                        Participant
                          @gecon

Hello John,

please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your wife.

My wife and I have discussed the scenerio several times and I wish to echo what others have said here. Don't make any changes too soon. Also, don't make too many changes at the same time.

It sounds like the bungalow is the main and biggest problem, so make that plan first and work on downsizing. I assume that you are thinking about moving to a flat where outside maintainence is covered by monthy joint payments. If you can get a flat with a 'spare' bedroom and a storage room, then that should allow you to take important items with you as well as the hobby items you want. Take as much as you can and then sell/give away/dump what you find you don't use/don't need or no longer want -from your new home. Very often, during the actual packing process, it becomes easier to decide what you really want to include in the move.

That's more or less the plan my wife and I have. We already live in a flat but we would need to downsize for economic reasons especially if I 'go' first.

I wish you all the very best with your plans for the future.

George

Edited By gecon on 25/06/2023 07:46:26

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

I echo that. The thing that stops you getting old is a hobby. Keeps the brain going and provides a social outlet.

Ashley

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)