Detailing and Building Aesthetic Parts

Advert

Detailing and Building Aesthetic Parts

Home Forums Sailing Models Detailing and Building Aesthetic Parts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Crowe
    Participant
      @samuelcrowe16582

Hey Model Builders!

I have built a mast (double spreader), bowsprit and cabin to cover the ugly sealed hatch, but I'm a bit stuck now for where to go next. Google images have helped a lot.

It also has 100% cotton sails, I know, a crime, yes, but that's what they used to be made of, so I'm going to waterproof spray it when they have been completed. I just have one problem with them, I haven't got a reefing system in yet, at the moment I'm wondering about putting holes in horizontal lines at two points up the sails, where I can tie string through and around the booms.

Any reefing ideas?

I would like some inspiration and ideas for what to do to my hull, add to it and change for a good traditional look.

Hull decoration ideas?

All the best,

S. Crowe

Advert
      Samuel Crowe
      Participant
        @samuelcrowe16582

I would like some inspiration and ideas for what to do to my hull, add to it and change for a good look.

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Have you seen any basic ideas on the internet about what you want it to look like otherwise we are just guessing blind?

Vintage yacht, Clipper, Rum Runner, Galleon, Pirate Ship, Sailing Ship of historical significance (Bounty, Endeavour, Cutty Sark, Enterprise [not the star ship] )

Tim Rowe
          Participant
            @timrowe83142

Hi Samuel
            ​You mention waterproofing so I imagine it is a working model. If this is the case then keeping it simple will probably be best. Reefing for instance will be fiddly and it would be more usual to have different sized sails or even different rigs for the wind conditions. I have an International One Metre (IOM) and that has three separate rigs.
            ​After holding my screen upside down the hull looks quite like a Star class which is certainly a traditional design.

​My suggestion would be the ubiquitous white hull above the waterline. In real life there are not so many red or yellow boats and green is considered unlucky in some circles. Dark blue (royal or flag blue) is probably the next most popular after white.
            ​Antifouling used to be universally red coloured and creates a traditional look. Racing yachts often use white as it is easy to see when it needs cleaning. There are many choices however but the most common are blue, green and black. If you choose white you may want to put a contrasting stripe at the waterline either with paint or tape.

​The grain on the deck just looks like varnished plywood which is normally only seen on dinghies but in this cases the grain would treated very differently. A traditional yacht may have a canvass deck covering placed over planks or plywood and painted with a non-slip paint. Light blue or light buff would set the model off nicely using eggshell or matt paint. I just don't like shiny decks.

​As Paul T suggests there is lots to see on the internet or pop into your local newsagent where you will find magazines on all types of boat.

​A simple scheme but done well is the way to go I think.

Tim

Eddie Lancaster
            Participant
              @eddielancaster

Hi. Tim, I have just read your suggestions for an authentic yacht paint scheme, I thought a highly polished varnished look would be inappropriate for a working boat.

I am building a semi scale cruising yacht and I think your suggestion of a painted canvas covering on the deck would look good with a white hull above the waterline and a light green below it, but what about the cockpit? would the floor of that be the same as the deck with vanished mahogany sides and cabin back and doors? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Regards.

Eddie.

Tim Rowe
              Participant
                @timrowe83142

Hi Eddie
                ​I have seen your thread on the build and very good work it is too.
                ​Painting the cockpit sole the same colour as the deck would be perfect as in real life both would have a non-slip surface. Varnish great on the other bits like you suggest would look very good and clearly the quality of your joinery is up to it! Filler, even if well matched kills a highly polished varnish surface.
                Subscribed to your build.
                Tim

Eddie Lancaster
                Participant
                  @eddielancaster

Hi Tim Thanks for that and your interest and kind remarks.I have started on the cabin top today but had to stop for a while to go out with my daughter for a birthday dinner but back to it tomorrow.

Eddie.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)