Bloodhound, the Royal one…

Advert

Bloodhound, the Royal one…

Home Forums Sailing Models Bloodhound, the Royal one…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1
      Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of sail plan and deck layout for the Royal yacht Bloodhound.

I have a GRP hull. But I need to have a fixed reference for working on it.

Cheers,

Martin

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hi Martin

Lots of deck images on the interweb and the boat had a Bermudan yawl rig so a sail plan shouldn't be a problem.

Are the following any help?

<b>Bloodhound</b> - the <b>royal</b> <b>racing</b> <b>yacht</b> - Picture of <b>Royal</b> <b>Yacht</b> Britannia ...

The large <b>royal</b> <b>yacht</b> HMY Britannia berthed at the port of Leith in ...

Royal Yacht Britannia | Blog

<b>Royal</b> <b>Racing</b> <b>Yacht</b> &quot;<b>Bloodhound</b>&quot; Berthed Alongside Britannia | Flickr ...

<b>Racing</b> <b>Yacht</b> <b>Bloodhound</b> (Now sits alongside <b>Royal</b> <b>Yacht</b> Br? | Flickr

Paul

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Cor, Bly, as my dear old Nan would have said, not 'arf, sir. From that angle, very helpful. I have captured a couple of those but oddly hadn't found all of them. might be because I no longer have google search or something.

The coach house shot is lovely. I could interpolate that sizewise and make that on its own, except I only just struggled the hull up into the loft! But I could always send sonny Jim up there when he deigns to visit his old man.

I wonder what those three silver studs are forward of the Bloodhound sign.

As Dorade, of similar size was very well documented I can use her sailplan. After all this is one of those cases of "Who knows better anyway" I guess.

Many thanks for your trouble. I'm looking forward to doing Bloodhound, but am only now sticking the last planks on my model of "Vanity" and I'd like to get that well advanced first.

Cheers,

Martin

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

Hi Martin

Here are a few more images that might help

Paul

Martin Field 1
              Participant
                @martinfield1
                Paul, once again, some I have, some I don't, but thanks for them.
                I notice an oval section mast. Oh dear. I once made a model of a Luna 50 for the part owner of Cosworth who owned the real boat and it came to me with a few bits started including the mast, as a rectangular bit of aluminium, which needed filing to shape! I'm not sure I can do that again! I wonder if she ever had wooden masts to start with. I must check that out.
                Thanks again.
                Just finished half the lifting section of a deck light for Vanity. I'd been waiting for the right size brass wire.
                Cheers,
                Martin
                Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1

The above is Cuban Mahogany, (made from old chairs), dovetailed corner joints, mortice and tenon joints on the lids, 2 coats of sanding sealer. 1/16th scale, so about 3 1/2" long.

Cheers,

Martin

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Martin

Very impressive carpentry skills, how ever did you manage to cut dovetailed joints at this scale?

Respect

Paul

Its just occurred to me that you could create oval section masts by using stock circular section aluminium tube and carefully squeeze it into an oval shape with a bench vice. A bit of a faff but well within your abilities.

Edited By Paul T on 11/05/2017 17:55:55

Martin Field 1
                    Participant
                      @martinfield1

Paul, thanks for your kind words.

The trick to fancy joints is careful marking out and a knack with a jewellers' piercing saw. But if the fine blade breaks as mine did I carried on with a junior hacksaw and Swiss files. The beauty of working such lovely woods is that they can be treated like metal and worked with metalworking tools. In fact I don't really have any others! OK, a small plane and a set of real quality chisels. I buy mine from boot fairs and never pay more then a pound a chisel. AND they're Sorby, Collins and Footprint cast Sheffield steel. If a chisel doesn't have a copper or maybe brass collar it ain't worth buying!

Great idea of yours for the oval mast. I guess a squeeze and then a clean up with a file would do it. Thanks for that. I'll try a test piece with a bit of ally tube I have.

Cheers,

Martin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)