1960’s Hobbies Plans……..

Advert

1960’s Hobbies Plans……..

Home Forums Scratch build 1960’s Hobbies Plans……..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JOHN BRADLEY
    Participant
      @johnbradley57917

Hi Guys,
      Just a general query really, but I’m just coming back into the Model Boat hobby after a LONG absence and purely for nostalgic reasons I was wondering if any of you out there could remember the names of the trawler and tug featured in the Hobbies plan range during the mid to late 60’s
      They were both “bread and butter” built and I think the trawler was 18″ long.
      I started to build both these models, but due to exams etc at the time, all got pushed to one side and eventually abandoned and destroyed.
      So, I would just like to rekindle a little nostalgia and try and locate these plans and carry on and now complete these models as a starting project coming back into the hobby.
      Hope someone can help, and look forward very much to hearing from you.
      John.

Advert
      JOHN BRADLEY
      Participant
        @johnbradley57917

Hello John,

So good to hear from you.

Yes, if you do manage to find the plans, I’d certainly like to have a copy of each of them.

Should you wish to contact me in the first instance to arrange further details etc, then please write to me on….

[email protected]

Look forward very much to hearing from you John.

Kindest Regards,
        John.

Pove
        Participant
          @pove

Hello John and John. I remember building a Hobbies tug, bread and butter fashion, at around that time using a Cascomite glue. I do not remember it having a name but when I finished it I called it ‘Moe’. The plans were lost ages ago and I thought I still had the boat but it looks as if it did not survive one of the recent attic room clear outs by my daughter-in-law. I recall it had a mighty midget motor which drove the prop via a rubber band and was powered by two flat 9 1/2 volt batteries. Good luck with your hunt and I would love to hear how you get on with a rebuild. Cheers Graham

William Withers
          Participant
            @williamwithers18271

Hi John.
            The Tug is called The Plucky and the Trawler is the Anglian they are both still available at the link below.
            I have built the trawler and its a lovely little boat to build.
            Hope this helps.
            William

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/

JOHN BRADLEY
            Participant
              @johnbradley57917

Hi John,Graham and William,

Thanks so much for your replies. Yes Graham I too remember Cascomite glue. I also remember cutting out all the different layers of the hull to glue together in bread and butter fashion with my Dads treddle powered fret saw……. Ah, memories……… 🙂

I’ve just looked on the Hobbies website William, and yes they do seem to be the same models ie, Plucky – the Tug, and Anglia – the Trawler. But I’m sure the names were different back in the late 60’s

Once again Thankyou for taking the time to reply to my query, and now I’m going to set about ordering the plans and wood packs from Hobbies and build these two little models – purely for nostalgic reasons.

Kind Regards,
              John.

William Withers
              Participant
                @williamwithers18271

Good luck with the build John hope all goes well.
                Regards William

Ian Jopson
                Participant
                  @ianjopson21383

I’ve spent the last twelve months buying Hobbies boat/ship plans from e-bay and currently have 73, from an ancient Egyptian galley to the submarine HMS Dreadnought. Some are more detailed than others, and I can see it will take a while to get through them all, especially with everything else I want to build as well.

The only plan I have been unable to track down so far is a motorised model of HMS Hood from the 1941 annual (it wasn’t free in the annual, but had to be sent away for). There are probably others I’ve missed along the way.

JOHN BRADLEY
                  Participant
                    @johnbradley57917
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)