Forum sponsored by Dremel

Spider J

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell23/12/2014 21:46:25
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

Hello Gareth

I'll bet you are glad that the planking is finished at long last?

Hope we can see the lovely inside construction, when the lid comes off, as it will be a real shame to cover it up

Seeing the scale formers will be very impressive

Don't like the idea of smothering the outside with hard to sand gooey resin? Wouldn't just paint be good enough?

The skin needs to be delicate, with an indication of the plating

Just being, overbearing, old chap

Regards to the missus and yourself.....Have a nice one and looking forward to meeting you again at the shows

Always a good laugh

Bob

Gareth Jones31/12/2014 19:12:07
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Bob,

I prefer a tough outside skin which is completely watertight. I think the risk of leaks is too high just painting over a planked hull. Anyway according to Dave Milbourn Z-poxy finishing resin is reasonably easy to sand. Time will tell as I have just cut out the glass cloth to cover the hull and tomorrow I hope to get the Z-poxy applied.

spider 40.jpg

spider 41.jpg

This is the first time I have attempted to cover a hull in a single piece of glass cloth. Shemarah was done with several pieces of tissue. The cloth seems to drape over nicely although I guess I will have to cut a few slits in the bow section to get it to fit around the curves. It looks straightforward at this stage but its less so when your fingers are covered in sticky goo and bits of glass fibre and the resin is starting to go off before you have got all the wrinkles out.

Gareth

Bob Abell31/12/2014 20:26:57
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

Don't do it, Gareth!

Let's talk about it first?

Only hope, we're not too late?

Bob

Dave Milbourn01/01/2015 08:46:29
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Gareth

ZAP every time. It really is MUCH easier to sand. I apply it thinned down with Isopropyl Alcohol using equal parts resin, hardener and IPA. Silicon carbide abrasive paper is the best sort; I buy it on-line from toolbank.com **LINK** Use a stiff brush about 1" wide and spread the resin from the centre outwards. It has a long working time and is very runny if you use IPA to thin it. I've also had some success using a flat piece of styrene sheet as a squeegee to remove excess resin. Clean up with standard thinners and don't forget to use surgical gloves throughout the whole job.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 01/01/2015 08:50:46

Gareth Jones01/01/2015 09:00:01
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Bob,

Its not too late, in the sense that I have not covered it yet, but I have made up my mind to do it. Shemarah was hard work, so much so that when Elizabeth restored her 100 year old gaff rigged ketch I suggested that she just gave the inside of the hull a good coat of resin and painted the outside. Within a year the hull had cracked along the joints between the planks and it leaked and looked awfull. I lost a lot of brownie points for that and the following year, Elizabeth had to take off all the masts, riggig, superstructure and fittings, fibreglass the outside of the hull and rebuild the model. It now looks lovely again, the hull is watertight and the lesson has been learned. I think its too big a risk not to do it on a planked wooded hull - but having said that I am planning to build the next model as a wooden keel so I will have to come up with some solution for that.

Dave, thanks for the information, unfortunately I have not got any iso-propyl alcohol to thin down the resin. Where did you get yours from - maybe I will wait a few days to get some if you think it will make a big difference to the job.

Happy new year to you both.

Gareth

Bob Abell01/01/2015 09:10:24
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

Gareth

Still don't like the look of that FG blanket!

Have a small practice run on something round and see what happens?

In days of yore, they only used varnish ......Ask Lizzie

Get her advice and then you can blame her, when it goes wrong!

Bob

Gareth Jones01/01/2015 09:12:20
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Dave,

I have discovered I could get a litre tin from Maplins today so we might venture out to York this morning.

Gareth

Dave Milbourn01/01/2015 09:30:34
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Gareth

I bought mine on-line for about eight quid a litre plus P&P but I'm blowed if I can remember where. Bob would presumably have you wallpapering the hull - a nice Anaglypta or woodchip and some Vinyl Silk Magnolia would look just peachy. O - and don't forget the wheels.

PS A very light spray of 3M Spraymount will tack the cloth to the hull and help prevent any wrinkles in it.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 01/01/2015 09:32:13

Gareth Jones01/01/2015 09:30:49
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Bob,

I have seen a few leaky yacht hulls that have been covered in glass cloth and resin. The coating is so thin and transparent that the cloth is virtually invisible. Certainly that was the case with Elizabeth's ketch and I hope might be the solution to finishing the wooden hulled Humber keel when I get round to doing that one. Spider J will be plated and painted afterwards so its a good hull to try out the glass cloth and Z-poxy process. I have a leaky 36R yacht to do before the summer season starts so if it works on Spider J, Ladyshave will be next.

Gareth

Kimosubby Shipyards01/01/2015 09:47:39
563 forum posts
272 photos

Hi Gareth,

my tuppence says use the Z-poxy, all my hulls are liberally coated inside with it and my 36R has the cloth and resin over the outer hull too. I found a second coating of resin filled the cloth mesh nicely. Be careful as too much brushing can stretch the cloth out of shape, I like DM's suggestion of the 3M Spraymount, that I will try. I've a river barge hull nearly done so will practice on that [Dutch canal barge with lifting wheelhouse etc].

I shall certainly use it on the marblehead and you've seen the sprung planking on that.

Just about to jump in the sea for charity, 11am, the sort of thing we do over here all round the Island. And it's raining and blowing a SW gale too, so the sea will feel warmer. Pity it's near low water, a long haul across the sand to get wetter.

Regards to you both, aye, Kim

Edited By Kimosubby Shipyards on 01/01/2015 09:48:23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor