Forum sponsored by Dremel

Spider J

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kimosubby Shipyards09/08/2014 14:50:48
563 forum posts
272 photos

Gareth,

I was curious about the shaft being through the stern post and deadwood, but all the images I can find do, indeed, show the screw central on the stern. Like you I always have at least one flexible coupling. As well as your reasons, it also makes it easier to get the motor out if needs be.

Here's a pic what I like - but you''ll have to get Elizabeth making barges a plenty so's you can match it! Good job the winds from astern, and has that keel, in the fore ground left, hit the dinghy ahead him? And I note, they are racing empty..........

Kimmo.

keel-race.jpg

Edited By Kimosubby Shipyards on 09/08/2014 14:51:24

Gareth Jones09/08/2014 16:55:48
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Hi Kim,

That was a coincidence. I can't remember ever seeing that picture before today. This morning we went to South Ferriby to see the gathering of keels and sloops to celebrate the sloop Amy Howson's 100th birthday and the picture was on display inside her hold.

Gareth

Kimosubby Shipyards09/08/2014 17:50:42
563 forum posts
272 photos

do-do-do-do do-do-do-do do-do-do-do etc spookey or what?

Tell me you made up that place name, South Ferriby? Where ever, yet you say you've been there!

See youse soon, Kim

Gareth Jones09/08/2014 18:09:59
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Kim,

What's so spooky about South Ferriby, its a real place and we were there this morning.

Gareth

ashley needham09/08/2014 18:32:54
6658 forum posts
157 photos

Gareth, just looked at the vid of the supercharged springer (of which i approve) and am reminded that SOME brushless motors do make an awful whining sound. SOMEONE at our pond swears by Turnigy G-somethingorothers, but they make an atrocious racket and although they do do the business, I would use something else personally.

This is not too much of an issue with your application as it for emergencies only, however....

The in-runner on my KM is totally silent, the new brushless on proj No1 makes a pleasant sound but is not totally silent.

By contrast, the brushless speed controllers appear NOT to make the giveaway singing noise most of the brushed ones do.

I salute you, anyone who can muster the wherewithal to make that many frames (twice) deserves a medal, or something.

aSHLEY

Gareth Jones09/08/2014 21:02:19
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Ashley,

I chose Turnigy on the basis of:-

1. I had heard of them from the time I used to build electric aircraft

2. Diede van Abs recommended them to Bob Abell and he seemed to know what he was talking about

3. There was a vast choice so I thought I was bound to find one in the parish I was looking for.

4. It would not be an expensive mistake if it did not work as well as I hoped

It is reasonably quiet when running under load but whines a fair amount at low speed. Occasionally it does not respond to the throttle on start up but emits a loud screeching noise. I am going to try and reprogramme the ESC when I get the right programming card. I think it might be something to do with the accelleration rate (present setting is maximum possible, I think) or the brake function, no idea how that works yet, there were no instructions with the ESC. Pushing forward the frontiers of model marine engineering can be difficult but interesting.

Gareth

Amy jane September10/08/2014 07:52:03
551 forum posts
515 photos

What a great photo Kimmo!

I'm enjoying watching her take shape, Gareth. Those ends are going to be fun to plank....

Kimosubby Shipyards10/08/2014 10:08:05
563 forum posts
272 photos

Gareth,

the photo coincidence was spooky, not the place, which I looked up on trusty G****** maps and found just up stream the Humber bridge on the S bank, and of course, directly opposite North Ferriby. I assume these were the old ferry stations.

Amy Jane, I am sure you realise it was not I that took that photo (?) and for you and Gareth a final trawl through my sailing barges photos produced these two below. The first is a wonderful model of a keel (without engine) and the second at an unknown location, but it looks to be on tidal river, showing Humber sloops - would be a very weird coincidence if this is South Ferriby, wouldn't it!

Kimmo.

humberkeel001 copy.jpg

Gareth, for your rigging references.

humberkeel002 copy.jpg

Who knows where this is, it is dated 1930.

Gareth Jones10/08/2014 20:15:30
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Kim,

I am pretty sure that picture is the mouth of the River Hull, Victoria Pier on the right and the oss wash on the left (where they used to wash the osses, for those of you who cant speak Hullish.)

Heres a later picture of the same area.

spider 17.jpeg

Gareth

Gareth Jones13/09/2014 19:55:47
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Progress on Spider J has been a bit slow over the last few weeks. We had some preparatory work to do for our Vintage Model Yacht Club stand at Haydock Park and I am now into that final month prior to going back to work for the winter so I have to complete all the major decorating, gardening and DIY jobs as the first priority. We also have to ferry our daughter and all her stuff back to Lincoln University which will be tomorrows job.

However I have managed to get all the stringers glued in place in the hull framework.

spider 18.jpg

Where there was a tight bend near the front and back ends I laminated an extension to the 6 x 6 mm pine stringers using 3 or 4 layers of 1.5 x 6 mm ply.

spider 19.jpg

The position of the stringers was marked and cut when the frames were cut out and all are effectively horizontal. That works quite well on the two upper ones but the aft end of the lower one has to twist and be pushed inboard to follow the run of the hull. With hindsight I should have stopped that stringer about 6 or 7 frames further forward and run a separate stringer along the underside of the hull which would have been a much straighter route. Anyway I will know now for the next hull. Here's a picture showing the area in question.

spider 20.jpg

I have also modified the canted frames at the aft end so that the inboard pair are now fixed to the skeg rather than angled outwards. This will provide a lip on which the planking can be fixed to the skeg.

spider 21.jpg

After giving the framework a good sanding and trimming to get rid of the edges and corners on some of the frames I fixed the first section of the hull sheeting to one side of the bottom last night. The inner skin will be made from 2 mm ply and 2 mm thick lime planks. Lots of clamps were used to hold it in place while the aliphatic resin glue dried overnight. However the curvature is quite gentle and there are no difficult double curvature or concave areas to struggle with.

spider 22.jpg

Tonight the ply sheet on the other side has been glued in place, this time using batteries along the keel since its not possible to fit clamps to that area now.

spider 23.jpg

The next job will be a bit of planking to get round the corner on the outboard edge of the hull bottom and the run of the hull towards the rudder skeg.

Gareth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor