Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Spider J

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gareth Jones19/06/2019 10:11:31
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Spider T is now pretty well complete and I will post some photos if it ever stops raining. There are a few minor details still to add and a bit of weathering to do but it should be finished by the end of next month at the latest. Elizabeth is making the fenders at the rate of about 1 a night so they will be added this weekend.

The major task over the last few weeks has been the completion of the cog boat. I started this a few months ago but was not impressed by its looks. The planks were too narrow and too thick so I ended up abandoning that one and starting again, this time with 10 mm x 1,5 mm lime planks in lieu of 8 x 2. I am really pleased with the way this Mk 2 cog boat has come out and the only remaining parts to make are the knees and oar for sculling over the stern.

Here is a view of the planked hull on its building jig.

spider 246.jpg

The next picture shows the inside of the hull.

spider 247.jpg

Here the gunwhales have been added and the start of the ribs, I think the ribs are slightly on the thick side but look to be about the right spacing at a scale dimension of about 6 inches.

spider 248.jpg

Here is the fully ribbed hull

spider 249.jpg

And now I have added the floor beams and floor planks

spider 250.jpg

Currently I have fitted the seats but still have the knees to fit in the various corners,

spider 251.jpg

spider 252.jpg

After that its varnishing and painting. I plan to do the outside of the hull in black with a red stripe along the top plank. The inside of the hull will be varnished. Typically cog boats were finished with a tarred hull inside and out. The single oar for sculling over the transom is part finished, awaiting the glue attaching the paddle to the shaft to dry.

All this woodwork has re-awakened the thought of building a wooden hulled Humber keel next, but who knows?

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 19/06/2019 10:13:29

Banjoman19/06/2019 10:34:39
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Gareth,

That is one seriously impressive and absolutely beautifully built cog boat! Just gorgeous!

Having missed some of your posts above while I was in Australia for most of January, I would also like to mention that the lovely cast bronze thimbles that Keith Jewell of Modelling Timbers used to sell before he closed shop are still, I think, available from a chap in Munich called Stefan Bauer at **LINK** (see page 33 of the online catalogue). I have not yet tried to order anything from him, as I bought up the remainder of Keith Jewell's stock when he was closing down, but I know of at least one other model boater who has.

Please note, too, that the measurement given in the catalog listing seems to refer to the largest internal width of the eye, rather than any overall size of the thimble.

Unfortunately, and in spite of the UK flag icon, both site and catalog seem to be available in German only, but it is at least fairly well illustrated; if anyone needs a hand with a translation of any passage in particular, I'd be happy to help out. Other than the thimbles, there are also plenty more things of interest to model boat builders, I'd say.

Actually, looking through said catalogue, I cannot help but wonder if Mr Bauer might have been Keith Jewell's source of stock for a number of items?!

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 19/06/2019 10:35:20

Chris Fellows19/06/2019 11:46:05
725 forum posts
446 photos

Yes, that's lovely. You've certainly put some work into that.

Chris

Gareth Jones19/06/2019 20:52:57
791 forum posts
1067 photos

The cog boat is now ready for staining, varnishing and painting.

spider 253.jpg

Tim Rowe19/06/2019 21:11:44
405 forum posts
440 photos

Gareth

Lovely Job. Very well done.

Tim R

Ray Wood 219/06/2019 21:18:12
2041 forum posts
718 photos

Hi Gareth,

I'll second that 😀 superb craftsmanship, what's next ??

Regards Ray

Gareth Jones27/06/2019 12:37:05
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Spider T is now effectively complete and as near as makes no matter finished. The only remaining tasks are to do a bit more weathering to make it look slightly more used and add a second crew member when I find a suitable subject. Here are a few photos taken this morning. I will add a few sailing photos when I get the opportunity to do some sailing, hopefully this coming weekend.

spider 254.jpg

spider 256.jpg

spider 257.jpg

spider 258.jpg

spider 259.jpg

spider 260.jpg

spider 261.jpg

spider 262.jpg

What next, I hear you ask Ray. Well the long term plan is still to build a similar size and scale model of a wooden hulled Humber keel, but before I start that I am going to have a bit of a change.

I have a fibreglass hulled 36R yacht to build as a vane steered variant, still at the planning stage, although I have the hull and keel weight.

Next month we are expecting to get a bare fibreglass A class hull of a John Lewis design called Challenge to add to our collection of vintage racing yachts. That will be a bigger job as I will need to make a keel weight pattern and get it cast using around 42 lbs of lead.

I have a 1:24 scale model of an Elco PT boat that needs refurbishing and it will probably get a brushless conversion as it is missing both speed controllers. I also plan to add a lot more fine detail to the deck and superstructure.

I have also been given a plan and fibreglass hull for a 1:24 scale German S boat which will complement the PT boat well, but its probably a 3 or 4 year project. I was also very kindly given a whole series of supporting books, along with the hull by Peter Robinson so it should be given a fairly high priority really.

We have several other yacht refurbishments on the go and I am currently adding the control gear to a model of an International Dragon that Elizabeth is building in the style of Bluebottle, originally, maybe still, owned by the Duke of Edinburgh. There are also three Marbleheads in the loft (one of them built by Bob Abell) that all need major refurbishment so I am not going to be short of work over the next few years.

Gareth

Tim Rowe27/06/2019 19:23:29
405 forum posts
440 photos

Gareth

A busy lad indeed. In the meantime however Spider J is a credit to you. Simply excellent.

Really interested to see how your yachts shape up after this.

Best regards

Tim R

Banjoman28/06/2019 09:00:56
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Gareth,

I stand (well, sit, but you know what I mean) in total, complete and utter awe! It is of course no surprise, given your track record, but it should still be said: this is a stunningly beautiful model!

I take my hat off to you, Sir!

Mattias

Gareth Jones03/07/2019 19:28:33
791 forum posts
1067 photos

You are all too kind with your comments, it's not really that good.

Here are a few photos of Humber Princess taken at Silverdale Glen on the Isle of Man following this years Manannan Model Boat Festival organised by the Manx Model Boat Club. It looks to me that I need to make a minor change to the ballast distribution as the model is sitting slightly 'down at the head,' I believe keels and sloops were typically sailed that way so that if they ran aground on the shifting sand and mud banks of the Humber they were easier to refloat. However I plan to remove a bit of the forward fixed ballast block to level up the hull when in the water.

You may notice that the cog boat is conspicuous by its absence. Sailing with the cog boat tied to the stern revealed it was easy to swamp the boat with a quick burst of power from the propeller and we spent about half an hour afterwards trying to retrieve the oar which had drifted off on its own. However the cog boat stayed firmly attached to the sloop and was easily retrieved. Maybe it will have to be a static display only item.

spider 263.jpg

spider 264.jpg

spider 265.jpg

spider 266.jpg

Gareth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor