Forum sponsored by Dremel

Glue

Which glue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Platt24/01/2008 00:10:00
26 forum posts

Hi guys. 

I have built a scratch built model of a 1960's ship. 

The main hull is built from wood and filler.

I now wish to cover the hull with a plastic material which will have all the original rivets etc.

So, the question is..... What glue can I use to bond these two materials together giving me about 3 minutes manipulation time and that will be 100% water proof? 

Curing time is not important.

Thank you for your thoughts.

John.

PS. I built the first model submarine that submerged and fired torpedoes under radio control in the 1970's. I got several free holidays at Bream Sands from MAP and could tell you many funny stories about other models that sank.

Manxman24/01/2008 05:32:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi John,

You do not mention which type of plastic material you are going to use, so have a look at the Model Tug Forum - http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=181.0 - I have a chart here listing various glues.  I can not take the credit for the list, but I picked this up from another site a while back and can not remember the original site - my apologies to the original author.

Hope its of some help - Ken

John Platt24/01/2008 09:49:00
26 forum posts

Hi Ken.

Thank you for your reply.

I visited the list you suggested but it didn't quite answer my needs. 

The type of plastic has not been decided yet. It must be pretty thin (0.5 mm?), be able to take a model rivet punch impression without breaking the surface and be readily able to be stuck to the wood when I have found the correct glue.

Thank you once again.

John.

mick25/01/2008 21:25:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya john mick here

look under   plastidip.co.uk this might help your problem  they have some amazeing

stuff hope this helps you  

Telstar26/01/2008 12:57:00
323 forum posts
32 photos

Hi John

This question was raised on a different forum, For covering wooden superstructure with plasticard. One reply there was the use of double sided tape. apparently in the motor trade badges and trim is fitted to bodywork useing double sided, it  is strong and weatherproof. 

Cheers Tom

Paul Freshney27/01/2008 22:31:00
295 forum posts
15 photos
Experimentation might be advisable. I have used superglue successfully, but you only have moments to get it right. Evo-Stick also works, but again zero manipulation time. How about the glue that aeromodellers use for gluing clear canopies in place?
Manxman28/01/2008 17:00:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

The canopy glue mentioned by Paul is "Formula 560" made by Pacer Technology - available from almost all model shops - this is white when applied but dries clear.

Ken

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Shrek
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor