Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

"EeZeBilt 50+" Sea Princess build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Diede van Abs15/05/2014 14:21:51
192 forum posts
20 photos

During holidays, I have picked up the tradition of starting an "EeZeBilt"-boat. Reason being that it is nice to have something to do in the evenings, and the EeZeBilt way of building is taylored towards building with limited resources. I got my plans from EeZeBilt.co.vu.

This time, the Sea Princess of the "50+"-range - a range designed by the guy that collected all the plans of the original EeZeBilts - was the boat of my choice, it being a pretty beefy boat (for eezebilt standards) of 23" with nice lines and something quite different from the tugs and working vessels I usually build (last years' project was the "Beaver"-tug, also from the 50+-plans, and before that I built the EeZeBilt Otter and 50+ Tamar lifeboat).

Of course I started off with cutting out all the part templates and sticking them to balsa (and ply, for the keel, Superstructure sides and some of the formers) using spray glue:

Part templates

Then, after some cutting, I knocked up the entire framework in one evening:

Basic frame

The deck is made of two big sheets - one per side, and a little piece in the back:

Adding deck

And lastly for now, the hull sheeting starts:

Adding sheeting

Edited By Diede van Abs on 15/05/2014 14:22:27

Diede van Abs16/05/2014 15:59:03
192 forum posts
20 photos

Bottom is planked now, prop tube glued in place:

Bottom sheeted

Made up my own rudder assembly:

Rudder assy

Andy C16/05/2014 17:56:53
470 forum posts
116 photos

Nice to see someone building one of these. I have the plans for some of the smaller ones downloaded for later.

Looking good so far.

Andy

Diede van Abs16/05/2014 23:51:13
192 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Andy,

This is actually my fourth boat from that website, having built Otter, Tamar and Beaver (still in process btw) before.

They are surprisingly good looking and easy to build models, ideal holiday-building-material because only basic tools and equipment is needed (if a little preparation at home is being done first).

Which one are you looking to build?

Amy jane September17/05/2014 09:28:27
551 forum posts
515 photos

Looks like a nice build, she'll be a smart looking boat. I shall be watching with enthusiasm.smiley

Andy C17/05/2014 12:42:24
470 forum posts
116 photos

Hi Diede

I like the look of either smaller Curlew or the larger Triton. Not decided yet. I also have my Gup B to do once my exams are out of the way.

Andy

Diede van Abs17/05/2014 23:07:43
192 forum posts
20 photos

Are you planning to "RC" them? In that case I'd go for the Triton. Although the small EeZeBilts can be turned into fully functional RC boats, it is very tight.

The Sea Princess is completely sheeted now:

Planking finished

Coming week I need to get myself some thin (watery) epoxy to impregnate the hull with, and to add a layer of tissue for strength and waterproofing...

Andy C18/05/2014 11:22:47
470 forum posts
116 photos

Hi Diede

Looks really good. I have some small electronics that might fit the smaller bout, or I might double the size, as others have done.

For epoxy some of the other guys, and girls, use Poly C. This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. it can be found here **LINK**

Andy

Diede van Abs18/05/2014 17:44:45
192 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Andy,

For my Otter I used 2,4GHz stuff and LiPo batteries. This combined with a small motor and ESC, and a little tweaking of the hull (it is 2cm deeper than original) works fine.

My Tamar uses much the same setup, except I used a 400-size motor for that (boy that boat goes!!!) and I did not extend the hull.

My Beaver is 1,4x size (printed A4 plans on A3 paper), plenty of space there

Be aware that if you double the plans, all small errors in the plans are also doubled and some things (like the hull sheets...) don't fit as well anymore. Nothing too bad, just something to keep in mind (so cut them a bit oversize).

Epoxy won't be a problem, its just a matter of time (and shops being closed in the weekend).

Dodgy Geezer18/05/2014 20:07:16
818 forum posts
59 photos

"...Be aware that if you double the plans, all small errors in the plans are also doubled and some things (like the hull sheets...) don't fit as well anymore..."

Alas, the only guarantee these plans come with is that, if you find an error, I'll be happy to alter the plan accordingly. So any information on errors, omissions, etc will be gratefully received....

At the moment we have an RAF Pinnace being drawn up in a far more professional style than I could hope to achieve - created by a supporter in Germany and one in New Zealand working in tandem, while I am (very slowly) putting together a set of plans for the 'Marinecraft' range of starter kits marketed by Model Aerodrome in the 1960s. Something should be out by the autumn...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor