Forum sponsored by Dremel

Ripmax or Mersey Marine fittings needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Field 112/05/2014 17:30:15
564 forum posts
6 photos

Hi all,

I have just restored my 55 year old Sea Urchin and I am lacking the portholes that it came with when it was given to me way back then.

They are small chromed plastic ones that were sold by Keil Kraft and Mersey Marine. I would dearly love to find a couple and would even be happy with the plain grey plastic ones, (which I could always foil cover).

I have the lifebelts and steering wheel from the original gift, but the portholes have shot out of the hull during one of my many house moves. Now I have my Victoria Park V number, I've gone all out and built a wooden carry box for her.

I am also, rather more optimistically, looking for a set of Mersey Marine fittings for the 34 1/2" Aerokits Crash tender. I had a boxed set with the original kit 51 years ago and they were stolen about 15 years ago from a lock-up, as was the original R.E.P. Single channel R/C gear, which I am replicating with a friend's help who knows about valves.

I know I can get a set of the old Yeoman w/m fittings from IP Engineering, but they won't have the same authentic "feel". Then I can get round to finally finishing the old girl.

Many thanks,

Martin

Colin Bishop12/05/2014 18:01:01
5011 forum posts
6115 photos
414 articles

Reade Models used to sell these but their website doesn't seem to be there anymore. Some of the fittings are advertised by the Model Dockyard though: **LINK**

so you could try them.

Also the Vintage Model Boat co do some fittings suitable for Aerokits: http://www.ip-engineering.co.uk/acatalog/Boat_Fittings.html

None of the above appear to be chromed though. Looks like you'd have to get some chrome paint.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Forum Moderator on 12/05/2014 18:05:49

Martin Field 112/05/2014 18:10:53
564 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks Colin. No such thing as chrome paint, so I use foil for chrome effects.

Vintage Model Boat Company is Ivor at IP Engineering. I used to make masters for his garden railway range.

I'll have a look at Model Dockyard too.

I was just thinking someone might have the real thing tucked away and not being used.

Cheers,

Martin

Colin Bishop12/05/2014 18:45:48
5011 forum posts
6115 photos
414 articles

During an airbrushing course I attended last year there was a demonstration of Alclad Chrome paint which looked pretty effective to me!

Colin

ashley needham12/05/2014 19:11:50
7433 forum posts
159 photos

I am sure I have seen chrome spray paint that was very very good.

Martin Field 112/05/2014 20:46:20
564 forum posts
6 photos

Sorry, but as a metal basher, nothing looks like metal, but metal! Alclad (ironically an earlier brand name for dural coated thinly with pure aluminium) is a complete faff to apply with 2 different paints on a perfect substrate and still looks like paint to me. But when you're a huge fan of polished aluminium, you notice these things. I find foiling a complete doddle.

Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor