How great this site could be!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T31/12/2007 17:31:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hello Everybody

Just for once I wish to be serious and ask you to take a look at our sister site www.militarymodelling.com  no for how to build tanks, but for how to build a site.

This is another of Vinnies responsibilities and I have been spending a little time exploring it over the past few days. The format is very similar to our own but what impresses me is the amount of member participation that takes place, the site is buzzing with activity and has new postings coming in every few seconds. Information and general chit chat is passed back and forth with amazing speed and it seems that everyone takes part.

I strongly urge you to visit the site just to see how active it is and then think how we can make our own site better by borrowing some of their ideas.

I know that I have, on occasion and in friendship, given Vinnie a hard time but now I can see what he is trying to atchieve and whilst I am not advocating taking up arms and joining the militaryboys I am suggesting that we as members of modelboats could do a lot more to help ourselves have a truly fantastic site

So make it a New Years resoultion to get involved and do your bit to raise the profile of this site.

All the best

Paul

Manxman31/12/2007 19:36:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

HI Paul,

Just had a quick look at the site - opened a month or so before ours, and yes it does have a lot of people participating in such a short time.  But I did find the scrolling of the pages jerky using my mouse wheel, that I just could not center a section for reading without a lot of hassle.  It annoyed me so much that I wont be going back - that said its probably down to the huge amount of responses put up.

Cheers - Ken

Vinnie Branigan31/12/2007 19:40:00
443 forum posts
294 photos
8 articles

Er.....actually Ken, that's a function of your system. Nothing to do with that site or the number of responses.

You really should upgrade from Windows 3.1 y'know? 

Vinnie

David B702/01/2008 09:41:00
24 forum posts
17 photos

hi all

first happy new year to you all

tried to put photo on hear but i failed as well  

Paul you have the knowledge we don't have and this proves it only you can get a photo on to a post so fare

and its driving me nuts trying to do it i Even joined the military site to see if that helped

but no,

it would be easier to put photos wit text on hear, then you can explain any prob you may have better, a photo speaks a 1000 wards so thy say

you can put photos on on the military site OK

Vinnie please help us out hear

all the best

David

Vinnie Branigan02/01/2008 11:59:00
443 forum posts
294 photos
8 articles

Hmmm....okay let's give this a go.

Firstly, you have to have uploaded your image to an album first.

Open two windows in your browser.  One with your reply box where you're typing your post, and the other with your album picture from the gallery.

Right-click on your picture....NOT THE THUMBNAIL....the picture.  And  click on 'Copy Image Location'.

Back in your reply, hit the little picture icon above it, and right click in the 'url' box, and choose 'Paste'.

That should do it.

Vinnie 

Vinnie Branigan02/01/2008 15:42:00
443 forum posts
294 photos
8 articles

Is anybody going to give it a go?

Vinnie 

Paul T02/01/2008 16:00:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Works for me, all I did is copy an image off the internet and pasted it here.

http://www.cartoon-web.com/illus/marine/dangertug.gif

Vinnie is the lost looking one at the back
Vinnie Branigan02/01/2008 16:01:00
443 forum posts
294 photos
8 articles

Well we know you can do it smart alec!

Vinnie 

HS 9302/01/2008 16:18:00
91 forum posts
25 photos

I already had look at hs tugs... I also think you have to remove the first picture as well

Peter

Len Ochiltree02/01/2008 16:27:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

We don't all understand tecky speak! whats a browser?, can you run through it as in Janet & John Book 1, I find it a pain having to make images smaller first.

Len. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor