Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Wiring a boat for beginner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Harry Jones02/11/2013 12:28:36
7 forum posts

Hi

I have a model RC boat HMS Invincible and I am trying to get it running again after about 20 years of standing idle

What I need is a simple diagram to connect the wiring. I have two 6v motors, a receiver, a esc, two servos, battery pack and a 6v 10amp battery

Dave Milbourn02/11/2013 12:36:15
3995 forum posts
282 photos

Harry
Does your speed controller have Battery Eliminator Circuitry (BEC)? If you don't know then you can test it to find out - more on that later if necessary. If you can tell us what type it is then that might give a clue, too.
What are the two servos operating (steering will be one function)?
What type of radio is it (e.g. 2-channel Futaba, 4-channel Sanwa etc)?
Dave M

Harry Jones02/11/2013 12:48:45
7 forum posts

Hi

thanks for the reply

It is that long since it was used not sure why there are two servos.

Esc is Mtroniks viper marine 25.

Radio is Sanwa GC2200

Harry

Dave Milbourn02/11/2013 13:44:35
3995 forum posts
282 photos

OK - so that means that your speed controller does have BEC, so you don't need the separate battery pack for the receiver.
These old Sanwa sets had a different plug wiring to most other sets in that the plugs weren't flat but "castellated" to polarise their fitting into the receiver case, and the wires were all black except the positive one which had a red stripe along it and was terminated on one side of the plug (all other makes except Fleet had the positive wire in the middle of the plug).
In order to make the Viper work with the Sanwa receiver the sequence of wires in its plug should be changed from Brown/Red/Orange to Red/Brown/Orange. Has this been done?
Don't worry - we'll get there eventually!
Dave M

Harry Jones02/11/2013 14:25:53
7 forum posts

The Wires from the receiver to the servos are Black/Red/White.

Would I be better buying a new radio control?

Edited By Harry Jones on 02/11/2013 14:26:51

Dave Milbourn02/11/2013 15:23:36
3995 forum posts
282 photos

I think so............. The one you have is described as "vintage" at best and on a frequency which is rife with interference. This one is a good budget 2 channel set **LINK** but for a few pounds more you can have a multi-channel set on 2.4GHz e.g. **LINK**

On the plus side it sounds as if your servos are current spec and will work with either set. The speed controller certainly will. A wiring diagram is no problem. Just let us know when you've made a decision on the radio.

DM

Harry Jones02/11/2013 15:43:53
7 forum posts

I do have a Futuba 2ER radio that I was hoping to use on another project [if I every get there]

Harry

Dave Milbourn02/11/2013 19:11:00
3995 forum posts
282 photos

That should do, especially if you can find a spare receiver and crystals (e.g. on the dreaded Flea-Bay). I'll sort the diagram later on - or tomorrow.

Dave M

Harry Jones02/11/2013 19:25:48
7 forum posts

I have the receiver complete with crystals

Dave Milbourn02/11/2013 22:53:37
3995 forum posts
282 photos

I meant a second receiver, so that you run both models from the same transmitter.
DM

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor