Forum sponsored by Dremel

Graupner Glasgow

Conversion to electric from steam and other repairs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley16/04/2014 15:06:00
897 forum posts
536 photos

First sailing today at Bury Lido, under electric power. I was really pleased with how the model performed and thought I would post a few photographs. Really pleased to have made the change, no mess on the decks, fittings etc. no more worries about boiler certificate. Model is a pleasure to sail and further work is planned (as said earlier in the thread).

glasgow lido (1).jpg

glasgow lido (4).jpg

glasgow lido (5).jpg

glasgow lido (6).jpg

Bob Abell16/04/2014 17:27:56
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Nice model Tony

But where`s the fizz?........I like to see "work done" in the water texture!

How have you ballasted it?

Bob

Tony Hadley16/04/2014 18:19:53
897 forum posts
536 photos

Hi Bob,

Thank-you for the good feedback. I am really pleased with the performance and how the model turned out. Unfortunately, I hit problems in what should have been a straightforward 'power plant exchange', e.g. concrete ballast (which now I think about it was so hard and due to the colour, could have had fine granite in the mix!). Normal domestic delays - acting head cook and bottle washer whist Mrs H. hasn't been too good, certainly slowed all model building, all I was fit for at evening was watching TV!

Ballast is a mixture of the remaining concrete and lead strips placed on each side of the wooden motor platform. I also added some lead sheet in the rear radio compartment to replace the drilled away concrete.

All in all, I think you can read the tone in my latest posts, I'm100% pleased with this model. The only drawback with today's sailing was the operator/owner (me) has now realised that I need my first pensioner aid - a pair of launching straps, I had great difficulty bending down to the water level from the concrete banks at Bury with quite a heavy model. Cutting out the slots in paddle box's to create vents, as against the kit supplied stickers is a real advantage, some times during sailing especially when changing from forward to reverse, water can be seen spilling out of these.

But where's the fizz? ..... I like to see "work done" in the water texture! --- apologies, for not understanding this.

Looking forward to seeing the free Glynn Guest paddler plan in next months magazine.

Please remind me as to the outcome of your Glasgow?

Bob Abell16/04/2014 18:34:35
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hello Tony

Work done in the water texture is my strange way of meaning water disturbance

Take a look at Waverley and you'll see what I mean about......Water disturbance!......It's awesome!

My Glasgow is in dry dock at the moment, awaiting the fitting of a keel type ballast

I would like a heavy model, low in the water, with the motor straining to make headway!

I might even drill a few holes in the floats!, to create a foam effect

Bob

Tony Hadley16/04/2014 20:54:30
897 forum posts
536 photos

Hello Bob,

It is always difficult to re-create the water texture/water disturbance in model size and I hope you have success with the idea of drilling holes in the floats. Personally, I would be reluctant to drill the Graupner floats as they are no longer available, other than from the likes of ebay. I would be inclined to make some sacrificial floats for experimenting purposes.

The Waverley is a most impressive vessel and I've booked a sail on her this summer from Liverpool along the North Wales coast. A rather worrying report on her was in the winter 2013 Paddle Wheels magazine, here is an extract -- "Waverley is now more than half way through her planned post-re-build life. It is not known when major work will be required or what outside help may then be available but one certainty is that she cannot earn the money herself".

To date, I've only sailed on one full sized paddler, the Austrian diesel powered vessel, Kaiser Franz Josef 1, which sails on the Wolgangsee. Recently her looks have been ruined in an attempt by the owners to re-create how she looked when steam powered. The photograph below is one I took in the 1986, before her looks were changed (for the worse - my thoughts).

Who knows, If I get the right numbers in the lottery or euromillions, I might buy my own full sized vessel - this Dutch paddler is up for sale -- **LINK**

Kaiser Franz Josef 1

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor