Conversion to electric from steam and other repairs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell25/10/2013 11:09:14
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hello Tony

The MFA geared motor is OK

I`m using 50:1 reduction gearbox and a 3:1 plastic chain drive speed up to the paddleshaft

Not sailed for a few months.........Too busy!

Bob

Bob Abell25/10/2013 15:31:54
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

This is my layout.....The chain drive is 2 to 1 speed up........For 6v

speed up-1k.jpg

Bob

Ian Gardner25/10/2013 16:55:48
563 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Tony,

Sorry if I stirred up a hornet's nest over noisy gearboxes! The MFA units are very convenient, powerful and relatively cheap so, as with many things, its a personal preference and a matter of compromise. The drive is far more positive througha gearbox- I have had O rings pop off the pulleys in the middle of the lake until I got the tension just right- and that's very frustrating! I've often wondered about toothed belt drive.

It's good to see your conversion- my modelling activities have ground to a halt just at the moment. I'm hoping to get more motivated as winter draws on- as they say.

All the best...Ian

Tony Hadley25/10/2013 17:57:27
897 forum posts
536 photos

Further thoughts are - if the elecric drive system proves ok next summer, the plan for the following winter building season is to install a second MFA motor, split the paddleshaft and have individual paddle drives. These will be belt driven (thanks for the link John) supplemented with an electronic bit of wizardry which will adjust the paddle speed and direction according to the rudder position, thus allowing the model to 'turn on a sixpence'.

For the 2014 sailing season the plan is just to enjoy the model with the single MFA electric power motor/gearbox and if it proves dissapointing, I will need to find a boiler inspector and take the return to steam option.

Who knows Bob, I may just turn up at Etherow with the model.

Tony

Tony Hadley25/10/2013 18:09:08
897 forum posts
536 photos

Here is the next task for the build -

The paddleboxes currently have the kit supplied transfers as paddlebox vents. I plan to drill and cut out actual vents. Whilst looking at this, I thought of modifying the design to a similar design to the ones on the Ramsgate paddle tug John Batey.

What do you think of this design or should I stay with the original Graupner design? The photograph has a paper template of the proposed new design, before the mini-drill is set to work.

paddle tug - john batey (2).jpg

Original Graupner design.

glasgow paddle box (1).jpg

Proposed design, similar to John Batey.

glasgow paddle box (2).jpg

Tony

Ian Gardner26/10/2013 10:06:10
563 forum posts
1 photos

Tony,

I think your proposed paddle box vents will look much more elegant than the existing design and your plans for independant drive sounds interesting too.

Ian

Tony Hadley31/10/2013 18:30:32
897 forum posts
536 photos

Managed to modify the first paddle box to a design similar to the John Batey paddle tug. The paddle boxes are quite flimsy and cutting the vents is time consuming.

glasgow de-steam (5).jpg

Tony

Bob Abell31/10/2013 18:44:14
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hello Tony

I did the same style of vents on my Glasgow.....I like your version, very much

If you thought that was fiddly.....Try cutting out the rear decking!

getting there!.jpg

Very fiddly, but she`s worth it!

Bob

Dave_P31/10/2013 18:56:02
207 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks for the link John, a most interesting site with plenty of technical info.

Tony Hadley31/10/2013 19:23:07
897 forum posts
536 photos

Hi Bob,

If starting from a new kit, I would probably cut the rear decking as your model, however as the rear deck is with printed slots is already glued in place, I would probably only make things worse by removing this section of deck.

Must say, I liked both yours and Phil Button's design for the vents, (Phil Button's were in the magazine) and this is where I got the inspiration to cut them out, instead of leaving as transfers. Although Phil made brand new wooden paddle boxes which would be far sturdier (and better) than the Graupner kit supplied items.

Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor