Graupner Glasgow

Conversion to electric from steam and other repairs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley24/10/2013 08:23:44
897 forum posts
536 photos

glasgow 2.jpg

The above photograph is after the last restoration.

In the November 2013 Model Boats magazine, Phil Button carries out part 2 of his Graupner Glasgow paddle tug conversion to John H Amos. This part was to remove the temporary electric drive and install a steam plant. Phil has take a lot of precautions to prevent the steam plant damaging the interior of the model. Quite interesting when a lady nearby asked him is the model supposed to smell like that - No I think it’s on fire!

With my model, built as the kit, the intention is to go the other way by removing the steam plant and installing a permanent electric drive system. The photograph shows the damage that years of use with the steam installation have take its toll on the model’s interior. The difficulty in obtaining a steam safety certificate for the boiler, the varnished deck being ruined and I would need to fabricate an aluminium tray for the boiler are other factors which swayed this decision. Some of the damage is irrepairable (e.g. new deck) and to re-build as a first class standard it would be easier to start again with a new kit.

glasgow de-steam (1).jpg

Steam plant now removed and a MFA geared motor 11:1 ratio purchased. At 6 volt the motor gives 718 rpm which when reduced by a further 3:1 gear ratio gives a no load paddle speed of 239 rpm, which should be in the right ‘ball park’. The intention is to retain the 3:1 Graupner gears should the steam plant be re-installed at some time in the future. The layshaft and its gears which further reduced the steam plant from 3:1 to 9:1 was also removed and placed into safe storage.

As the motor shaft on the MFA motor is 6mm diameter and the bore of the gear is only 5mm diameter, an MFA 6mm to 5mm converter was sourced from technobots. This option was chosen, as I no longer have access to a lathe, to make my own adapter shaft, since finishing work. As this will extend the length of the motor some of the coaming will need to be cut away.

glasgow de-steam (3).jpg

Before the shaft adapter was bought, I considered boring out the pinion, but as can be seen there just wasn't enought brass.

glasgow de-steam (4).jpg

Tony

Edited By Tony Hadley on 24/10/2013 08:24:40

Edited By Tony Hadley on 24/10/2013 08:35:07

Tony Hadley24/10/2013 08:47:11
897 forum posts
536 photos

Found this photograph of the Wilesco D48 steam plant when installed.

glasgow steam 8.jpg

Tony

Bob Abell24/10/2013 09:30:25
8854 forum posts
2758 photos

Hello Tony

Nice looking model

How did the model perform under steam?

Bob

Ian Gardner24/10/2013 10:11:14
561 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Tony,

I have tended to go the same way with my steam models and converted them all to electric. The novelty of oil and muck slopping around in ones nice boats seems to wear off after a while- and boiler testing is always an issue, although the requirements never seem clear cut to me.

She seems to be going well in the top photo- is that after conversion to electric? I used MFA geared motors in my boats but did find them pretty noisy. I changed to O ring drive on brass pulleys for two of them- much quieter. I suppose this wouldn't be an option with paddle drive as the reduction would be too great- and there is the problem of obtaining pulleys. The MFA units are very rugged and reliable.

One consolation with the damage is that it gives the boat a nice patina of age and use -and it's still a very good looking boat.

All the best,

Ian

Tony Hadley24/10/2013 10:48:12
897 forum posts
536 photos

Hi Bob

Under steam the model performed extremely well, with a surprisingly good turn of speed. Run time was approx. 10minutes+

Ian, I am unsure as to whether the photograph was taken with a temporary electric drive or whilst under steam. After the previous restoration, to give the model a test run, I hastily installed a temporary 550 motor which was far too fast. Looking at the top of the stack is a slight wisp, so it could have been under steam, I'm just not sure.

Had a scare when giving it a trial run last time though, went to the lake alone in the evening, when along came a gang of 'likely lads' who started talking. They informed me they were recently out of prison and obviously I humoured them as best as I could. Fortunately a couple of youngish ladies they knew came along and started to talk to them and share their drinks. At this point I loaded my model into the car and thought that was a lucky escape. I seriously thought either the model or my wallet + credit card would be stolen --- Moral of the story -- Never sail alone.

Thanks for the interest shown,

Tony

Tony Hadley25/10/2013 08:37:47
897 forum posts
536 photos

Ian,

The noise from these geared drives can be a problem, my other little paddler had a motor change last winter from a 12v Buehler to a 6v hobbys and the gear noise increased. It sounds as if I will be encountering the same problem with the Glasgow.

I did think of installing an old MP3 player with music playing to mask the noise, unfortunately my understanding is now this is classed as playing music to a public audience and needs some kind of public broadcasting licence. This idea has now been abandoned.

I'd even chose a tune -- The Paddles on the Steamer -- from the Postman Pat children's songs series.

Tony

Bob Abell25/10/2013 08:50:17
8854 forum posts
2758 photos

Hello Tony

You could improvise a simple clicking device......Like a cigarette card in the spokes!....... or fit a proper sound unit

Bob

John W E25/10/2013 10:03:37
263 forum posts
257 photos

hi there

have you ever thought of using tooth belt drive? very quiet and a very positive drive. I have just been lookin on Cornwall Model Boats and they do a small selection of belts and pulleys to match but there is another Company who do a bigger selection cheaper and when I can locate it I will put the link on in case you are interested.

aye

John

John W E25/10/2013 10:54:12
263 forum posts
257 photos

**LINK**

this is the link to the belt drives and pulleys

aye

john

Tony Hadley25/10/2013 10:56:53
897 forum posts
536 photos

Thanks for the ideas,

Initially, I will stay with the use of the Graupner gears and see how bad the noise is before making any changes. As previous if I can stay with the gear set up, should I ever wish to return the steam plant to service it would be an easy exchange although not a lakeside job.

Reading Ian's comments, the noise is from the MFA motor and gear unit and not the Graupner gears.

Bob, how do you find the MFA unit in your Glasgow?

Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor