Brutus

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T10/12/2013 17:56:58
7161 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Bob

You know what happens when you start throwing spanners about..............usually one or more end up in the machinery and it takes someone bigger than Tarzan to pull them out.

To answer your points one by one:

The motors wont fit without the countershaft unless I change the angle of the propshaft by increasing it beyond 8deg incidentally this would also raise the motors within the hull and compromise the centre of gravity,

Brutus has the same design profile as the full size ship, it looks blunt simply because its a speed boat as opposed to the super cruiser in your photos.

Theoretically the hull shape should work without having to fit trim tabs or elevators, notwithstanding the fact that their very presence would change the hydrodynamics of the hull and create more problems than they would solve....they look awful and would ruin the lines of the design.

Spanners are for tweaking nuts.

Paul

Bob Abell10/12/2013 18:44:24
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

Tarzan hey!......AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Those were the days, hey!

I did say earlier.....Why not increase the prop shaft length and get rid of the belt drives?

The hull shape at the front doesn`t look sharp enough?

More to follow

Bob

Paul T11/12/2013 07:50:31
7161 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Good Morning Captain Bob

Unfortunately increasing the tube length would have to go hand in hand with raising the height of the motors within the hull and this will change the centre of gravity making the forward section of the model unstable when making high speed turns.

This plan view shows the overall shape of the model

brutus basic plan view r1.jpg

You can see that the prow is quite sharp and that the shape is further enhanced by the curve starting amidships.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 11/12/2013 08:05:03

Bob Abell11/12/2013 08:15:24
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

For some reason, I imagined a shape like a slice of cheese.....On edge.......Axe Head

You are the designer........Carry on regardless

Bob

Paul T12/12/2013 13:32:49
7161 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Bob

To get you started the minimum size for the Brutus building board is 1230mm x 380mm.

Paul

Bob Abell12/12/2013 14:45:24
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

Building board size.......No problem

Ready when you are, Govner!, but will have to take second place to SloMoCruiser for the time being

Just had a right picnic with my password....OK now

Bob

ashley needham12/12/2013 20:49:02
6658 forum posts
157 photos

What a shame the top view does not look as futuristic as the side view!!

Bob, it needs some "ray gun" exhausts and rocket fins, or something devil when you start.....

Ashley

Bob Abell12/12/2013 21:11:58
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

Ashley?........Exactly!.....Leave it to me

But Paul won't like it!

Bob

Amy jane September13/12/2013 04:22:25
551 forum posts
515 photos

Yeah, this is getting interesting....laugh

Bob Abell13/12/2013 06:32:10
8921 forum posts
2810 photos

I suppose the outlandish deck line will give it the desired quirky look?

Plus a couple of stubby wing things.....I also like the shark type trim tabs down below

"That`s the way to do it!"

Mr Punch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor