Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Brutus

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham10/12/2013 08:03:42
6612 forum posts
153 photos

Bob. thats the idea. You only need a quick look and a few basic dimensions and off you go. Thats what I do anyway!

No point in making anything difficult if you can make it work simply. Will post vids asap. The lotus one is uncanny in its depth keeping (for a dynamic dive machine).

Pauls models need to be grouped together to emphasise the sameness of the hull and difference of the top.

Ashley

Paul T10/12/2013 13:23:44
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Bob

Very happy to renew the partnership with this new design, you will have to let me know what motors you want to use so that I can ensure that we have sufficient space within the model and that the drive angle remains shallow.

Paul

Bob Abell10/12/2013 14:01:02
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Paul

You can select any motor/ motors you recco at this stage and we'll work from there......Twin motors would be more interesting

Let your imagination.....Run riot!

Bob

Paul T10/12/2013 14:26:54
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Bob

We will stick with a pair of 600s with the reverse drive system that we discussed before.

reverse drive.jpg

Paul

Bob Abell10/12/2013 14:34:40
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

As already mentioned.....The flexible coupling as drawn is not required

In fact....It won`t work!..........LOL

Bob the Engineer

Paul T10/12/2013 14:44:06
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

You're right Bob but it will work in a set up like this

I am now hunting for some small encapsulated bearings as can be seen under the mounting plate in order to design a bespoke set for Brutus.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 10/12/2013 14:46:56

Bob Abell10/12/2013 14:47:29
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

Just had a look on the net and discovered that the Axehead type of hull really exists and is a patented design!

So we`re "Hitting the ground running" As they say.....And off to a flying start

Here she is......

I like the hollow keel and the aggressive looking prow

Bob

sea axe design of hull.jpg

Paul T10/12/2013 15:08:45
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Yes Bob its a design type that has fascinated me for some time but we are not exactly hitting the ground running as you will have noticed that the larger ships have quite a few stabilisers and therefore I have to assume that they suffer from stability problems.

Brutus has no stabilisers and relies on hydrodynamic design to maintain stability and I am having to be very careful where the main point loads are positioned, I expect that the finished model will need some very precise fine tuning at the lake side to get the trim right.

This is why I said that the build will a challenge to your theoretical skills as well as your building skills. Motors and batteries will have to be placed in exactly the correct position and any change in specification will result in a weight trade off somewhere else in the design. It will be very easy for the model to nose dive or for the bow to ride to high if the weight distribution is not precise.

Paul

Telstar10/12/2013 16:58:39
323 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Paul Your design reminded me of a model from my past. I finally found these photos of Tom Clements from one of the Newcastle clubs with his Straight runner. tomclem0005.jpg

tomclem0009.jpg

It has quite a deep stem and I think it was powered by 4cyl T Westbury design engine (Sealion) driving twin screws the mechanism on the rear deck is screw adjuster for the twin rudders

Tom

Bob Abell10/12/2013 16:59:15
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

Shop floor to Pie in the sky

We can make our own motor drive, as you originally laid out.....Don`t need the countershaft

I have noticed that our Axe Head is rather blunt, compared to the real thing!

We`ve got a cruiser shape, for some reason

How about a servo operated elevator at the rear to cancel out the Johnny Wiesmuller effect?

Just throwing a few spanners about

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor