Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Brutus

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham06/12/2013 15:19:24
6612 forum posts
153 photos

Paul. This picture makes more sense, at least to me,as it were, if you cover up the waterline with a bit of paper and then it looks a bit like a Thames slipper...with the slopy back. No disrespect to your drawing of course.

The odd bit is the bow bit underneath the water. I am wondering...this sticky-down bit (I am sooo technical) stays in the water, thrusting through it like a knife through butter and dividing the waters like DM`s wit through a boring dinner party ? Is the boat intended to rise much or does it , as I suspect, stay fairly flat? or at least is that the intention.

My HMS Midge, with the negative raked bow rises out of the water, Turbinia style..mainly due to the cut-up at the back which is long and fairly "up". I made the bottom of my HMS Hasty virtually flat with only the tiniest amount of cut up at the rear and lo and behold it not only goes a lot faster but remains perfectly horizontal whilst travelling at speed.

Thinking about it, it must stay flat with the bow in the water or there would not be much point in this hull form?

Ashley

Paul T06/12/2013 16:24:57
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Ashley

Rather than do a long winded technical (boring) explanation about hull attitude

brutus waterline.jpg

Your comment about a slipper launch is bang on as that is where the inspiration came from.

The concept is that the bow and long fore deck are square cut and brutal in appearance but as the design progresses toward the stern the body becomes more graceful and flowing as it disappears below the stern.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 06/12/2013 16:35:57

Paul T08/12/2013 10:57:26
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

By Christmas the design will be worked up to a point where construction of the prototype can begin, now all I have to now is persuade the shop floor that its a buildable project.

Bob Abell08/12/2013 11:08:25
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

Sounds like another epic thread is on the cards!

Bob

Paul T08/12/2013 16:46:42
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Yes Bob it will be a real epic and certainly not one for the faint hearted as building something this experimental will take both engineering and theoretical skills.

Bob Abell09/12/2013 09:28:59
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

Any chance of one of your very artistic isometrics, Paul?

I seem to be nibbling at the bait!

Those fancy frivolous lightening holes in the formers, would be easier to produce with simple drilled holes, old chap

The motor and prop still look too small........Try to remember the Ellie stuff, I`ve got in stock!

Bob the sucker for a challenge

Paul T09/12/2013 14:20:36
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Bob

I am currently doing the iso pictorial build sequence and will be able to produce the 'finished' version when this section is completed.

The holes in the frames can easily be produced with a router (or your dremel trio) re the motors I cant remember what you have in stock but the spec for the motors is 600s but I am sure that anything up to 800s will do the trick.

Paul

Paul T09/12/2013 19:09:58
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Bob

Whilst you are busy nibbling its only fair to remind you that Brutus is just over 4ft long but it will be a challenging build worthy of your skills.

Paul

ashley needham09/12/2013 19:49:00
6612 forum posts
153 photos

And what a fabulous rough weather boat this should turn out to be at this size!! I would like to see a good watertight front access hatch and same for rear. A wave cleaving boat in teh rough..yes please (but not yet)

Ashley

Bob Abell10/12/2013 06:58:00
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

Paul

I would like to build this boat, just to see how it behaves on the water

It looks so unusual and is a useful size. I may have to buy a couple of larger motors etc to do it justice

I only need the salient points and skeletal details.........

The workshop is tooling up for action!

Ashley,many thanks for your very kind PM and more congrats for your James Bond project in January's issue of the ModelBoats Magazine.........And you said, you make them simple!

Paul's models will make a very interesting exhibit on the club stands next year?

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor