Brutus

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop25/09/2018 19:27:45
4531 forum posts
6069 photos
398 articles

Paul,

I came late to the article having been away when it was published and found it very interesting and certainly a feasible look into the future with development of new weapon systems. Brutus is not pretty but maybe that is the way designs will go.

The problems with laser based weaponry can be summed up in one word - fog! They only work well in clear air. There is currently no substitute for hurling a chunk of metal at the target whether it relies on an explosive warhead or kinetic energy. I doubt if that will change anytime soon.

Colin

Paul T26/09/2018 13:32:34
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Hello Colin

Thank you for your comments.

You are absolutely correct that conventional lasers struggle in fog, heavy rain and snow due to the scattering effect however high intensity, ultra fast pulses are proving to be very effective.

Paul

Andy C27/09/2018 08:23:44
472 forum posts
116 photos

Hi Paul

Thought the article was extremely well written. Proof in the pudding will be if people can build the boat from the plans, forum thread and your article. I will let you know in a while. About to finish my Vivace.

I also think there is not enough in the model boating area about the future of ships. Both military and private. Things like hydrogen power has been around for a while in cars, but not very mainstream yet. Most are concentrated on hybrid or full electric. Putting it in a shop makes sense if you can build smaller scale desalination plants. There are articles around about power generation plants combining desalination, so maybe it will be in the future. Especially for nuclear powered vessels. Sail boat design has also shown some interesting sail development over the years too. With ridged sails etc.

Maybe some of this will filter down into the scale world too.

Keep pushing the boundaries

Andy

Bob Abell27/09/2018 10:20:53
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

As a matter of interest, has anybody out there actually started the construction of Brutus 50?

If so, it would be interesting to see a few photos please

Bob

Colin Bishop27/09/2018 10:36:41
4531 forum posts
6069 photos
398 articles

I looked up the latest on laser weapons and you are right Paul, they have come on a lot. I see that the USS Ponce (what a name, worse than Boaty Mac!) is fitted with an operational system.

Colin

Paul T27/09/2018 15:39:14
7151 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Andy

I hope that readers will be inspired by these future designs and develop their own. personally I am looking forward to Ashleys building Skydiver.

Image result for ufo tv series skydiver

Bob

Whilst it would be very gratifying to see other people build Brutus I would much rather this becomes a catalyst for other budding designers to put pen to paper and produce their own radical designs.

Colin

You would think that the Americans would do a little research when naming their ships, Ponce might be the man who invented Florida but to us the ship will always be a reason to chuckle.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor