By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Plating and rivets for a 1:48 Corvette

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Thor Frohn-Nielsen13/12/2007 03:25:00
4 forum posts

For my next model I'm planning to build a 1:48 scale scratch built Corvette, specifically the HMCS 'Sackville', now a museum in Nova Scotia.  A couple of questions.  Are there any specific plans people know about that are particularly good?  Secondly: I want to reproduce the plating and rivetting of the hull as closely as possible.  Any old articles or places to go for advice?  I remember reading in this magazine over the past year that someone sells scale rivets.  I can't find the reference to it.   Anybody steer me right?  Finally, I'm thinking to make the hull, complete with all details, and then a mold and then a GPR hull form the mold.  I've worked with fiberglass plenty of times before, and am thinking of going this route to create a really sturdy hull.  Will I be able to get the details of the plating and rivets if I go this route--and is this process perhaps more work than is really necessary?  Thanks for all your help.

John Hodkinson14/12/2007 08:42:00
34 forum posts
30 photos

Hi Thor,

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">         You may find John Lambert has what you are loking for with regard to drawings, he has loads of them on Flower corvettes including plating details.

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">When I have reproduced rivets I have used a syringe filled with PVA glue, once used to how much pressure to use on the syringe it works well, takes time though.

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">Regards

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1"> 

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">John

Kevin Bellman14/12/2007 22:57:00
68 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Thor

Couple of links for you

http://www.hmcssackville-cnmt.ns.ca/

This one has some great pics of the preserved vessel

http://www.steelnavy.com/Sackville.htm

I agree with John try John Lamberet

http://www.lambert-plans.com/

If there is nothing listed give him a ring, really nice guy. I'm sure he be able to point you in the right direction.

Regards Kevin

Thor Frohn-Nielsen16/12/2007 17:36:00
4 forum posts

Thanks very much for the information.  It sounds as if the Lambert plans are indispensible. 

Cheers, Thor

John Platt24/01/2008 18:10:00
26 forum posts

Hi Thor.

I simulate rivets on my models using a model railway rivet punch which can be bought from the Midland Railway Centre, 339 Bath Road, Kettering, Northants, NN16 9LY, here in the UK. Telephone number 01536 410536. 

I have been unable to find a website for them but I am sure any good model railway engineering shop will sell you one. 

Mine is 15 years old and still works like new. 

John.

John Platt25/01/2008 12:12:00
26 forum posts

Hi Thor. 

Go to this web address and they will sell you the rivet punch machine.

http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/rivet-embossing-tool.htm

All the best.

John.

Bob Abell08/02/2008 19:14:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Hello Thor

I may be a little late........but if you have a look at my Gerat Eastern website......you`ll see how I`ve used thick card and a centrepunch to represent plating with rivets

Bob Abell

John Platt08/02/2008 19:38:00
26 forum posts

Hi Thor and Bob. 

I don't know how many times this message is going to be posted as my PC is doing the strangest things.

Bob, would you mind posting your web address here, so I can go and have a look. Thanks.

Secondly, do you know the Reverend (I think) William Mole who built the wonderful model of the Great Britian? 

All the best.

John.

Bob Abell08/02/2008 19:44:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Hello John

My website is in this website................just look for latest images and you`ll find me OK.

Sorry, I don`t know the Reverend Mole...........but I would like to see the model.........Is it on the web?

Bob

John Platt08/02/2008 20:04:00
26 forum posts

Hi Bob.

I am very impressed by the pictures, the rivets look very convincing.

I have tried to find the Rev. Moles web address but cant find it.

I know that MB's ran about 6 articles about this model which was around the time they did my Sub. which was towards the end of 1980.

Sorry I cant be anymore helpful.

I will have a go at putting some of my models pictures in the gallery.

Thanks. 

John.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor