Prototype build of ELLIE

Vintage Broads Cruiser designed by Paul T

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell22/07/2013 11:42:18
8855 forum posts
2760 photos

Paul is designing a series of easy build models, based on a common hull shape

I have volunteered my services to build the prototype "Semi Scale Vintage Broads Cruiser" and will be fully described on this thread

The plans will be issued as a download in PDF format and they can then be printed off as many times as you like and transferred to the plywood for cutting out

The plans are not quite ready for publication and should be available in a few weeks time

Price to be advised and all proceeds will go to charity......Paul will advise shortly

Hope you find the thread interesting and as we progress, I hope readers will add their build pictures and comments to the thread

So clear the decks, me Hearty`s, sharpen those tools and make a few fresh sanding blocks in readiness

All the best chaps...........Bob

Paul T22/07/2013 13:41:57
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

A little background on this subject

This project goes back to a thread that I started entitled Most Popular Type Of Model in which I asked for comments on what type of boat people would like to build.

The resulting design is the build challenge that Bob has volunteered to take on, Bobs comment about a series of models on a common hull will become apparent as this thread progresses.

I asked Bob if he would undertake the build because as an engineer and experienced model builder he could winkle out any design glitches and I know that I can rely on him to call a 'spade a spade' whilst the build progresses as I certainly don't want him to gloss over any problems.

Of the three different superstructure designs that are linked to the hull Bob is building the Broads Cruiser version which is called Ellie after my new granddaughter who was born on July 12th.

So strap in and follow the build.

Paul

Bob Abell22/07/2013 16:05:28
8855 forum posts
2760 photos

Thank you, Paul

The first job is to assemble the four prints that make up the keel

Lay them out on a flat surface and align the bottom line of the keel with a straight edge, then finish off with the Sellotape

keel layout.jpg

Bob

Bob Abell22/07/2013 16:39:38
8855 forum posts
2760 photos

Lay the keel plan over the 6mm ply and mark out the keel shape using a Bradawl

keel mark out.jpg

Bob

Bob Abell22/07/2013 17:06:49
8855 forum posts
2760 photos

The bradawl holes are joined up with a bold pencil

Use a straight edge for the lond edges

keel drawn.jpg

The keel can now be cut out on the Bandsaw

Bob

Bob Abell23/07/2013 15:21:01
8855 forum posts
2760 photos

The keel is now finished and works out at 35 1/2" overall length.....A nice handy size for the car boot

Advice for the Newbies......Check the keel for accuracy, squareness and straightness

Sand all over and remove sharp corners

keel done.jpg

It was so dull in the playroom just now, that I had to use the flash!

Bob

Bob Abell23/07/2013 15:30:53
8855 forum posts
2760 photos

The next job is to make the formers, but the Design Office are doing a mod!.....Already

The Workshop has suggested an improvement, whereby the hull will be assembled upside down! The framework will be held down on a datum surface and allows for the hull sheets to be fitted onto frame with good solid support

In the meantime, I`m booking waiting time!

Bob

Paul T23/07/2013 16:32:38
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

The drawing office is having his tea so the mods will have to wait until Emmerdale starts.

About waiting time.......dont worry Bob I've got lots of washers.

Paul

ps whats a datum?

Dave Milbourn23/07/2013 16:38:19
3995 forum posts
282 photos

Bob
Having used both techniques for building a hull I would agree that upside down - with the bulkheads either glued onto a flat deck or supported with timbers along a datum - is much better than upright "in the hand". That little Sea Nymph was a swine to get perfectly straight, even with laser-cut parts to help.
One of those big 900 motors from Model Boat Bits with a 12v battery and something like a 55 or 60mm 3-bladed prop might be a good place to start viz a viz powering the beast.. Not too fast (about 3000 RPM) and plenty of torque.
Watching with interest.
Dave M

PS Drawing Office:
A datum is an imaginary lion running the length of the boat.

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 23/07/2013 16:40:52

Bob Abell23/07/2013 16:58:02
8855 forum posts
2760 photos

Thanks for dropping in, Dave

Pleased that you approve of the upside down build

Just by chance, I have two spare 900 motors with control gear and a few Dynamite sticks and have been wanting to make use of them for years........and two hellish props!

Not forgetting the ballraced propshafts either!

Shopfloor to D.O...........

When you`ve finished loafin` about..........Can we have the build datum surface parallel with the bottom of the keel, please?

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor