Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John W E20/01/2014 11:29:45
302 forum posts
284 photos

004.jpgHi ya there Tony

Sorry for the delay in replying, I just noticed your message. I built the Cervia Tug from Vic Smeed's plans a few years ago using the plank on frame method. I will post some photographs shortly.

I also built the RTTL from Vic Smeed's plans which and I will put some pictures of that on as well.

aye

John

Edited By bluebird on 20/01/2014 11:32:20

Edited By bluebird on 20/01/2014 11:51:06

John W E20/01/2014 12:06:29
302 forum posts
284 photos

004.jpgRTTL from Vic Smeed's plans

aye

john001.jpg

Tony Hadley20/01/2014 14:57:36
914 forum posts
559 photos

John,

Thanks for posting these photographs, nice to see your models extremely well built from the plans. I think all of us must have thought about building the RTTL at some stage during our model making time. Your Cervia is a gem of a model.

When reading the list, or buying a plan, the design of interest to a prospective builder is just a name with a brief descriptions. In this thread to see someone's model, built from the plans (or further information) adds real interest.

A note of thanks to Colin for starting the thread and suffering my historical research.

Tony

Tony Hadley05/02/2014 07:44:30
914 forum posts
559 photos

XQQME (ex-cues-me), a free plan in the June 1976 edition. A simple multi-race boat designed for the 3.5cc A class, it was hoped this design would form part of a Club 20 category, which avoided tuned engines and other costly extras. The model's construction consists of a ply keel, balsa bow blocks and 1/16 ply skins and the inside is finished with glass fibre, it was 655mm long and 300mm beam at widest. A standard under deck exhaust silencer is fitted as against a tuned pipe.

The photographs shown on the cover of the magazine, show a model built to the plan before some modification was needed to improve the engine's ventilation. This was done by enlarging the clearance around the engine in the hatch lid and the two holes were made into a slot.

xqqme.jpg

Tony Hadley06/03/2014 14:24:35
914 forum posts
559 photos

Panache, 30" semi scale ocean racer, MM 1299

Came across this photograph in February 1981 Model Boats mag. The text was the third (of 3) items following on from the free plan in the Dec 1980 magazine. The text talks about deck fittings, cabins etc, but the photograph doesn't show them, further reading the text indicates the model was built in a hurry. Looks a good easy build, handy sized yacht, which would look really interesting with the addition of the fittings and yet another to add to the to-do list!

panache.jpg

Has anyone built this and can post further photographs?

Plan MM1299 in the shop also has a review added.

Eric Moffat29/03/2014 10:42:32
54 forum posts
11 photos

Vic Smeed also designed a 36' sailboat named "Krispie" because he made it from strips of carboard from - you guessed it- cornflake boxes. He waterproofed it with 1 or 3 coats of oil paint and raced it!

I built one and called it " Sea Reel" - sailed well.

Tony Hadley30/03/2014 09:10:05
914 forum posts
559 photos

Eric, I took a look at the archives for this one and found this photograph in Vic's 1977 book, showing the method of hull construction -

Do you take any photographs of your 'Sea Reel'?

krispie (1).jpg

Runar Madshus30/03/2014 20:17:16
5 forum posts
6 photos

The plans for (MM 535) "Scudabout" is not listed as available. I don't know what Tony exactly means by that, but they are available from Canada on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-BOAT-PLANS-16-1-2-CRUISER-BEGINNER-PROJECT-RADIO-CONTROL-GAS-OR-ELECTRIC-/251484769342

In fact, I'm building it as my first model boat project. It's a little bit downscaled (and modified too) though.

img_0195.jpg

Edited By Runar Madshus on 30/03/2014 20:18:32

Tony Hadley05/10/2014 11:40:43
914 forum posts
559 photos

Can anyone help with this one? In the 1966 Power Model Boats book this airscrew driven hydrofoil Scorpion is shown. I can't find any further reference or information about it.
Does anyone know of a plan number (MM ???), or when it was featured as a magazine item? any any information would be appreciated.

scorpion.jpeg

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony Hadley13/10/2014 21:32:21
914 forum posts
559 photos

Bought this book at a bring-and-buy sale yesterday, thought it was worth the 50p asking price. I was then told, if I bought raffle tickets at £2, I could have the book FOC. Bought the raffle tickets, didn't win the raffle, so my 50p book cost £2.

Nevertheless there are a some photographs in the book worth posting. Two photographs of Moccasin (MM 1062) still in the plans list. Couldn't help but think that this model in colour this would look superb. The other photograph is Cachalot (MM 1032) again the plan is still available.

1970 radio control model boats.jpeg

moccasin (1).jpeg

moccasin (2) 2.jpeg

cachalot.jpeg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor