Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Gardner16/01/2014 16:49:11
566 forum posts
1 photos

Silver Mist

Enlarged version, 3ft long. Power Model Boat is still one of my favourite books.

Ian

Edited By Ian Gardner on 16/01/2014 16:51:07

Edited By Ian Gardner on 16/01/2014 16:51:34

Colin Bishop16/01/2014 18:35:25
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

I remember trying to build Empress of Britain when I was about 14 years old. I used parana pine with bread and butter construction but the hull was too top heavy. I tried splitting it and inserting more depth but that didn't work either. I also had problems with the portholes and with the bridge front with all the windows. I did manage to make a great funnel but eventually the project was consigned to the garden bonfire. The Empresses were indeed good looking ships and I have a 1:1250 metal casting model in my liner collection.

Colin

Bob Abell16/01/2014 19:06:24
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Just found this website today and you will like it, Colin and co

**LINK**

Very interesting.....Bob

Colin Bishop16/01/2014 19:33:27
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Bob, That is certainly a find! These were very successful and well built ships. I just wish I had had the opportunity to sail on the Topaz while she was operated by Thomson. we did sail on one of their other cruises and I think I would have really enjoyed a trip on the old Empress. These older vessels have a wonderful atmosphere onboard compared with modern cruise ships.

Colin

Tony Hadley16/01/2014 22:00:02
914 forum posts
559 photos

A magazine item featuring the Empress of Britain was published in the December 1964 Model Maker magazine. Does anyone know whether it featured the full sized ship or a model?

Ian,

Thanks for the photograph of you Silver Mist, a lovely model. Is it still in your collection?

Colin Bishop17/01/2014 09:45:41
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Here is the original cover which appeared in 1956 when the plan was published, I don't have the issue though.

Colin

Empresss of Britain cover.jpg

Dave Milbourn17/01/2014 10:12:32
4025 forum posts
282 photos
I just wish I had had the opportunity to sail on the Topaz while she was operated by Thomson.

Colin

Liz and I did sail on Topaz on the penultimate cruise she made for Thomson around the Canary Isles. She was definitely getting on and a bit tatty - I recall having to call for an engineer to fix a dripping pipe over my bunk at 2 in the morning! The cruise was "all-inclusive" so the place was strewn with bodies dedicated to getting as much sun and "free" lager as possible. There was at least one bloke who I swear never left the bar except to visit the Gents. I also remember docking alongside Ark Royal and marvelling at how big Topaz was in comparison (we were looking down quite a long way onto the flight deck).
Having just last November done 11 days on a medium-sized P&O cruise ship (Oriana) I can say that Topaz was no competition - and neither are Thomson, but that's quite another story....................

Dave M

Colin Bishop17/01/2014 18:35:51
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Dave,

Yes, I had heard that Topaz was hanging on a bit towards the end. Certainly no competition for more modern ships. A few years back we did a couple of Thomson cruises on Thomson Celebration to Norway and round the Baltic which were both excellent. In 2012 we did another round the Adriatic on Thomson Majesty. The itinerary was superb but the ship was a bit nondescript and the other passengers a rather downmarket. It wasn't up to the standard of the previous trips. Cunard Transatlantic on QM2 was fabulous but you do have to accept the dressing up as part of the package. All being well we are due to do a Celebrity cruise to Alaska following a Fly Drive over the Canadian Rockies and down to Vancouver in July.

Colin

Ian Gardner18/01/2014 18:11:45
566 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Tony, and yes I still have my Silver Mist- won't ever part with that one.

Ian

Tony Hadley18/01/2014 20:09:28
914 forum posts
559 photos

Colin,

Thanks for the information in your earlier post --- "Here is the original cover which appeared in 1956 when the plan was published, I don't have the issue though." --- this is yet another useful piece of information.

As these snippets of information become available, I update the original list, not only to include any missing designs but now to include if the plan was presented as a free plan and if (and when) a magazine item was published to supplement the plan(s).

Unfortunately I don't have an open budget to go out and buy lots of old magazines on ebay (or elsewhere) so I just keep "chipping away" as best as I can.

Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor