Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Milbourn21/10/2013 12:55:38
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Is this the one? We have the plans and instructions on file.

DM

whaleback photo.jpg

Sub Mandrel21/10/2013 14:27:33
12 forum posts
8 photos

That's the one! Actually, after a frantic hour's search through all sorts of stuff (mostly old Aeromodellers and reports from my old jobs!) I found it - it was a 'special' about radio control.

Looking at the plan, it seems I extended the superstructure to include the 'optional hatch' at the back, so the original design will require some butchery. I think I might just spruce it up.

I really must finish the Whaleback, too.

Neil

Vic Smeed design with different superstructure:

vic smeed asrl.jpg

Whaleback:

british power boats whaleback.jpg

Ian Gardner21/10/2013 14:55:33
566 forum posts
1 photos

Hi,

This one is in Tony's list- or will be eventually as I sent a copy. I built one too back in the eighties and with six cells and a standard 540 on a 35X prop it went like a rocket- absolutely brilliant. I have no photos of it and the boat disintegrated years ago.

The speed control was a micro switch operated from a servo. Knowing a bit more now, I realise I was lucky to get away with that, but ...the folly of youth! It was wonderful to switch on and see her shoot away in a wide curve and then judge the 'switch off' so she glided to the bank.

Yours looks very nice by the way!

Ian

Tony Hadley21/10/2013 21:05:53
914 forum posts
559 photos

Neil, It is a pleasure to see your Vic Smeed ASRL and I'm sure that many of us would enjoy seeing her on the water. Thanks for posting. You are quite right in that the model doesn't appear on the list, since the list was posted other designs have 'crept out of the woodwork'.

Thanks to members of this forum we keep adding missing designs. Some of the others which are additions to the original list are :-

Moonsong - Cabin Cruiser

The ASRL mentioned above

Sparkler - 21" Customs Launch

Twinkler - the predecessor to Sparkler

XQQME - multi-race boat

Tom Tom - catamaran

Rorqual - R/C Comp model

Nippy - miniature

Antares- Portuguese patrol launch

Sharpshooter - R/C Comp model

and three designs which we need to confirm that they were designed by Vic :-

Sir Gele D'Isle - Car Ferry

Sundra - Steam yacht

Petrel - Yacht

Here is a photograph of Sparkler which I came across last week in an August 1966 MB. This photograph doesn't do the model true justice, the plan would build into a lovely little planing model after painting.

forum sparkler.jpg

With the list, it always good to hear of (or even better see) these old designs.

Tony

david cuthbertson22/10/2013 02:51:07
22 forum posts
14 photos

Hi All,

Recently I acquired a Vic Smeed drawing (on cd) of the Vickers Type 632 frigate. It was on ebay from

an ebay shop here in Canada.

Dave

Sub Mandrel22/10/2013 11:47:10
12 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks Ian, Tony,

My original speed control was the two-speed switched resistor from a Tamiya XR311! I later upgraded to an electronize control.

Yes, it is a VERY fast hull and there is no need for the optional brass dagger plate for stability in turns.

Vic's designs, plane or boats, for the beginner were all excellent and reliable.

Neil

Tony Hadley10/01/2014 20:04:45
914 forum posts
559 photos

This interesting little vane controlled yacht, Splinter, from the February 1975 MB magazine has been received by Colin Bishop and kindly forwarded to me. My thoughts are that it would be a lovely project for a young person interested in making a start in the hobby. A project for granddad to help with, or a school woodwork project would spring to mind. Obviously it could be built by anyone who likes the look of the model, up-sizing and r/c would be possibilities.

The plan is a centre page spread, which is ideal as it doesn't have the dreaded joint line. Unfortunately I don't have an A3 scanner and am unable to post in this thread. This plan however forms part of the original item from Meccano Magazine of September 1971, which is now available as an electronic publication --- **LINK**

The first photograph is the front cover of the February 1975 magazine.

model boats feb 1975.jpg

The next three photographs cover the build of the yacht.

splinter (1).jpg

splinter (2).jpg

splinter (3).jpg

Hope you like this interesting little historical design from the 1970's (the era of David Bowie, power cuts, flared trousers etc.).

Tony.

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 12/01/2014 10:04:57

Colin Bishop10/01/2014 21:16:08
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Our thanks to Anthony Armitage for drawing attention to this Vic Smeed design.

Colin

Tony Hadley14/01/2014 18:13:57
914 forum posts
559 photos

Found this little miniature in the January 1962 magazine.

nippy (2 copy).jpg

nippy (1 copy).jpg

Tony

Tony Hadley15/01/2014 21:01:14
914 forum posts
559 photos

Found these two photographs in the 1966 re-print of the MAP technical publication - Power Model Boats. Couldn't help but admire these models and thought I would like to share them under this thread.

The first is Silver Mist (MM 524) and the plan is available should anyone be interested in this 21" round bilge hull of balsa construction with ply decks.

silver mist.jpg

The second photograph is of the Empress of Britain built from plan MM 445 which is currently not available. The model is 980mm (38.5" long) I can't help but like the design of this class of three liners, Empress of England and Empress of Canada being the other two. Further reading -- **LINK**

empress of britain.jpg

Anyone built Silver Mist? would like to see photographs posted.

Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor