Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
LARRY WHETTON22/06/2013 17:21:49
819 forum posts
600 photos

Another one Vic smeed flyer , CRACKERJACK yet to finish.........Larry..

Tony Hadley22/06/2013 19:48:35
914 forum posts
559 photos

Watching your build of Tom Tom with interest Larry. Keep us posted with photographs.

Tony.

LARRY WHETTON28/06/2013 16:58:13
819 forum posts
600 photos

tom tom skin 004.jpg

tom tom skin 003.jpg

tom tom skin 002.jpgHello ,

Latest on Tom Tom, hull complete , balsa build with a .72 skin of styrene stuck on with double side sticky tapr with solvent glue at the joins , nice strong hull with a finish to take paint job,

cabin structure next , mixture of Ikea blind and balsa, with dummy windows , pictures to follow ,

a new prodect went though the cutting stage to day , chinese junk to go with the sail i messed about with , nice little work boat and will fit the car ,........cheers Larry..tom tom skin 002.jpg

Chris Neal04/08/2013 20:14:15
5 forum posts
18 photos

Over Christmas i picked up two Radio control model books from a local charity shop and both books have been singed by Vic Smeed. 1st book is Power Model Boats by Vic Smeed 1959. 2nd book is Radio Control For Models 1950 signed 1/11/51

Edited By Chris Neal on 04/08/2013 20:15:27

Ian Gardner05/08/2013 11:53:44
566 forum posts
1 photos

Lucky man! Treasure them.

Ian

Chris Neal05/08/2013 12:30:05
5 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks will do

Tony Hadley17/09/2013 22:11:13
914 forum posts
559 photos

Larry,

Going back a few posts in this thread, your photographs of Tom Tom were interesting. Any further progress and photographs to show us?

Tony.

LARRY WHETTON18/09/2013 14:36:38
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello Tony,

TOM TOM , ready for power set up ,

but have had a busy summer, bit of health problem ,

plus new grandson , will pick it up after latest fishing boat is clear of work shop ,

on the toit liist cheers Larry.......

Tony Hadley30/09/2013 21:24:55
914 forum posts
559 photos

Remora, one of Vic's classic designs appeared on page 63 in the November 2013 Model Boats magazine. The item by Dave Wooley featured the Vintage Model Power Boat Weekend at the Fleetwood Club. An excellent item and photographs for vintage model boat builders and admirers.

remora (2).jpg

The use of the photograph was by kind permission of the editor.

Tony

Sub Mandrel21/10/2013 11:21:00
12 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks for a fascinating list, but I have built a Vic Smeed model which does not seem to be there.

Back in the late seventies I started work on a semi-scale air-sea rescue launch from a pull out plan in a Model Boats special. Vic's wonderful design was loosely based on a British Power Boat Whaleback - 'the Spitfire of the sea'. Powered by a brand new monoperm performance was, shall we say, limp?

I did little things to in, ended up losing the superstructure. I built a new freelance one and added a 540 motor and lots of fat nicad cells. In 1998 it finally achieved its full potential. I was little cruel, literally running rings around a chap's brand new electric R/C speedboat which he had flat out. The little ASRL had a rooster tail about three feet high behind it!

I would early love to track down the plan and put Vic's superstructure back on the model.

I have a scratchbuilt 1/16 close scale model of a whaleback that is nearly complete, which will be powered by three Buhler motors. All down to Vic, it looks like it may take about 20 years to complete too...

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor