Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 221/10/2018 17:44:16
1908 forum posts
681 photos

Hi Martin,

My point is the plans are owned by S A R I K who hold the copyrights to them and the right to sell them.

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop21/10/2018 18:01:54
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Yes, you need to be careful not to offer plans that are currently listed in the Sarik online catalogue or they might be a bit unhappy about that.

Obviously if you have an original paid for hard copy plan you can pass it on to whom you like but making scans available is breach of copyright.

Incidentally I believe that while Sarik have a right to sell the old MAP/NEXUS/MHS plans, the copyright is still vested in MyHobbyStore. I don't know what the situation is in respect of the original Marine Modelling International plans.

Colin

Martin Field 121/10/2018 20:01:06
562 forum posts
6 photos

So are we saying that Sarik pay a licence to My Hobby Store? Who now owns the plans? Sarik or MHS? And I thought the main thing about Sarik was that now handled the old Traplet plans

It was so easy when all the model mags were MAP and they did the plans Service AND the cheap insurance. What a mixed up, inconvenient world the bean counters have created.

Martin

Colin Bishop21/10/2018 20:13:03
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Simple enough. Don't offer plans online which are currently listed by Sarik. Their relationship with MHS is their business.

Times change but the plans are still a source of revenue so not a good idea to offer them for free!

Colin

Martin Field 121/10/2018 20:18:47
562 forum posts
6 photos

Who's offering them for free? I only have 2 or three somewhere and the last one I bought was rubbish. No I'm just asking what has happened to a range of items that I have had a "relationship with" since I and my cousins were nippers going through a big white catalogue dreamin' of what we'd one day build. My surviving MAP handbooks are still on my bookshelf. My collection of MAP books takes pride of place next to all my Tom Rolt first editions. I am quite sure nothing with "My Hobby Store" on it will ever go on the bookshelves!

Martin

Colin Bishop21/10/2018 20:37:44
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Not quite sure what you are complaining about Martin.

A lot of those old plans existed only in hard copy and have deteriorated over the years to the extent that the originals are no longer reproducible. These are no longer listed. The actual ongoing demand for the older plans is extremely limited to say the least anyway. The reality is that nobody is really interested in them anymore so there is no commercial value in reinstating them.

On the plus side, those plans which were originally reproduced in copies of Model Maker and Model Boats can be resurrected by scanning them in from the old magazines by anyone who is interested.

Unfortunately MHS is in business to sell magazines, not to act as a historical archive of drawings which most people are unaware of and if they were would rarely if ever purchase.

Colin

Martin Field 121/10/2018 20:46:29
562 forum posts
6 photos

Beyond that bloody ridiculous name, I'm not actually complaining about anything and don't know why you think I am, but I do regret your attitude if that's the official line on what was once a fascinating resource. It's like having a lot of historic letters in a museum and just saying, "Oh nobody asks to read them any more, we'll dump them". As long as one person wants a copy of an old plan they are worth keeping. If MHS are ONLY interested in flogging magazines, maybe they should have bought a different company that wasn't sitting on what has become almost a national treasure. Of course if the current generation of useless 'erberts don't buy them we have to fall at the feet of their mediocrity and accept that their indolence is correct.

I wonder if the model aircraft and model car people are quite so dismissive of this attitude and so accepting of it. I rather doubt it.

Martin

Daniel Cardona 121/10/2018 21:14:14
41 forum posts
53 photos

I’m an model aircraft modeller and and i also just recently startet into model boats. Unfortunatley in this ALmost Ready Made world contributed (IMO) into letting these national treasures close to fading away. Brian Taylor , dennis Bryant, Vic Smeed and others are names that some so hobbyist dont even know about. I have some original plans and parts from brian taylor and i consider them my treasures. The parts that once was i bought from My Hobby Store were not even up to par with the originals , apart the ridiculus postage costs that i had to pay. Well at least there is still some hope because one can still find these plans and build a proper model.

But now many first timers buy a get these ARTF , gone seems the days of what they were called modellers. Now only assemblers.

See all these woderful models of Vic smeed here and old magazines and photo’s of models still in there building stage gives me some hope.

Regards

Daniel

Colin Bishop21/10/2018 21:18:44
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Martin,

I don't think you fully appreciate the situation here. I am just trying to explain the current position.

In the days of MAP the company was run by modelling enthusiasts who were well aware of the need to support the widespread modelling interests of the day. In the case of NEXUS perhaps less so but modelling was still seen as a significant activity. The magazines have since passed through various hands and are now viewed as purely commercial assets. The only people in the organisation who understand the subject matter are the Editors. If the magazines fail to sell enough copies they will be closed down as was recently the case with Military Modelling. There is no commitment to supporting modelling by the company as such and certainly no recognition of the need to maintain historical records. Money is simply too tight.

I and others are very much aware of the historical value of the content of the magazines which in the case of Model Boats and formerly Model Maker go back to 1950 and I have been instrumental in ensuring that a complete set of magazines is lodged with a national museum as a historical record although I am not totally confident that it will survive as museum priorities unfortunately change.There appear to be no safe havens for material of this nature which in this case encapsulates the post war history of Model Boating.

Some individuals, such as Tony Hadley on this Forum maintain records of their own, in Tony's case, Vic Smeed designs, but when Tony eventually falls off the perch what will happen to his collection? And indeed, what will in due course happen to mine which goes back to 1964?

We live in an age where national museums have got rid of their models in favour of interactive displays so today's visitors can no longer look at a 3D representation of a ship but have to suffice with 2D paintings which are a poor substitute.

Models are generally no longer valued, literally if you look at the prices that even superb examples fetch at auction these days. It is a crying shame in my view but I'm not sure just what you can do about it.

Colin

Ray Wood 221/10/2018 21:45:11
1908 forum posts
681 photos

Hi Daniel,

As an aero modeller for the past 50 years having built 120+ rc aeroplanes we have learned from the latest foam ARTF's which fly well , the old Taylor & Bryant designs are too heavy ! I love building them but you can't stop the hobby progressing.

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor