Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 215/04/2018 15:35:47
1287 forum posts
516 photos

Hi Tony,

Yes I just love Vic's designs, both aeroplanes and boat, sadly never managed to meet him a great shame, hopefully he would have been pleased with my enlarged version of Silver Mist at 30"

Regards Ray

Tony Hadley05/05/2018 20:28:08
889 forum posts
530 photos

From Model Maker magazine, September, October and November issues was Vic's Painted Lady. Plan number MM442, sadly no longer commercially available.

September issue -

painted lady (1).jpg

painted lady (2).jpg

painted lady (3).jpg

Tony Hadley05/05/2018 20:31:11
889 forum posts
530 photos

October issue -

painted lady (4).jpg

painted lady (5).jpg

painted lady (6).jpg

Tony Hadley05/05/2018 20:32:52
889 forum posts
530 photos

November issue -

painted lady (7).jpg

painted lady (8).jpg

Tony Hadley05/05/2018 20:35:16
889 forum posts
530 photos

S.S. Hobo from Model Maker magazine March 1957. Plan number MM465, available from Sarik.

s.s. hobo.jpg

Bruce Mumford07/05/2018 09:57:13
7 forum posts

Many thanks for the information it helps greatly.

Tony Hadley18/05/2018 08:56:49
889 forum posts
530 photos

Spotted this kit for sale on Old Model Kits, Akron Erie Railroad Tug at 245.00USD by Model Shipways.

**LINK**

This kit is from Vic's American Tug, plan number V109 from Sarik. The Sarik plan makes into a model 25.5" long whereas the kit is 37.5" long. The kit was originally made and sold by Marvon Models of Doncaster from 1987 and was also sold in the United States by Model Shipways.

Daniel Cardona 118/05/2018 14:01:56
38 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Tony Hadley on 18/05/2018 08:56:49:

Spotted this kit for sale on Old Model Kits, Akron Erie Railroad Tug at 245.00USD by Model Shipways.

**LINK**

This kit is from Vic's American Tug, plan number V109 from Sarik. The Sarik plan makes into a model 25.5" long whereas the kit is 37.5" long. The kit was originally made and sold by Marvon Models of Doncaster from 1987 and was also sold in the United States by Model Shipways.

look to be a fun project, after all its a Vic smeed design. Only one thing would scare me to purchase a kit like that, it s the fact that it's says DIE CUT parts. last model that i build from die cut parts is a Dumas Star 30, the parts were horribly cut, nothing was matching to the plans so i had to build it on my own, turned out Ok but it wasn't the usual enjoyable building experience. maybe die cutting from 1987 were more of better quality.

Dave Milbourn18/05/2018 17:50:12
3687 forum posts
234 photos

Daniel

Don't let that experience put you off. I have yet to find die-cutting in any kit which gets within a mile of the sheer awfulness of Dumas' attempts. I still have nightmares about their Lord Nelson Victory tug - matchwood which was more die-crunched than cut and balsa planking so soft and soggy that you could snap it almost just by picking it up. I'm amazed they are still in business.

The only way you'll ever find out about this kit is to buy the thing and see. I know nothing about Model Shipways kits except they are predominantly made from wood. Go for it - we're all allowed at least one mistake!!

Dave M

Daniel Cardona 118/05/2018 18:08:59
38 forum posts
53 photos

Nah.... way too expensive for me right now, plus i have to add the postage cost to Malta in which it will add considerably on the final price. if i ever build a Tug i Think i will go the scratch build route and try a guardsman from Vic smeed plans or maybe an Aeronaut Kit.

and speaking of scratch building, I'm already busy with and an RG65 sailboat (Alpha from John Goodyear) and in a very limited budget. so maybe you can have a try on the Akron Erie Railroad Tug Davewink

Cheers

Daniel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
PremierJuly 2019
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor