Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley22/02/2018 19:38:37
885 forum posts
525 photos

Small MM Class yachts designed by Vic. 'Water Baby' - A, available as MM354 for bread-and-butter or glassfibre construction and 'Water Baby' - B exactly the same boat except the hull was rib and plank construction.

From what I understand, the MM Class was a 25" half sized Marblehead class yacht intended for racing. The other designs in the class were Vic Smeed's 'Sea Urchin', D.A. M'acDonald's 'Husky' (MM366) and 'Drake' (MM376).

Attached is the item about 'Water Baby' from December 1954 Model Maker magazine.

water baby (1).jpg

water baby (2).jpg

water baby (3).jpg

water baby (4).jpg

Edited By Tony Hadley on 22/02/2018 19:49:50

Tony Hadley22/02/2018 19:44:38
885 forum posts
525 photos

'Sea Urchin' (MM361) a hard chine model yacht for the 25" MM Class. The item is from January 1955 Model Maker magazine.

sea urchin (1).jpg

sea urchin (2).jpg

sea urchin (3).jpg

Tony Hadley22/02/2018 19:48:11
885 forum posts
525 photos

Finally, the article about the rig from February 1955 Model Maker magazine.

mm rigging (1).jpg

mm rigging (2).jpg

Tony Hadley15/03/2018 14:29:09
885 forum posts
525 photos

From Model Maker magazine, May 1956. Plan MM424 (no longer available) M.V. Pateke.

A GRP hull was available from Metcalf Mouldings and later Models by Design, this now seems to have disappeared from their sales listings.

m.v. pateke (2).jpg

m. v. pateke (1).jpg

Tony Hadley18/03/2018 16:41:21
885 forum posts
525 photos

Forum member and magazine contributor Dave Milbourn built this 'Moonsong', which was presented as a free plan in February 1964 RCME. The model was shown in #1 of this thread, the photograph has disappeared and I'm sure it's one of these here. This 20" long cabin cruiser was powered by a 385 brushed motor. Dave, if you read this, I think you have made a superb job, very impressed with the cabin windows/windscreen.

Interesting artwork on the front cover of the magazine to accompany the model.

moonsong (3).jpg

moonsong (4).jpg

moonsong (6).jpg

rcme feb 1964.jpeg

Dave Milbourn18/03/2018 17:37:36
3673 forum posts
230 photos

Thanks, Tony. The windscreen and windows are just Halford's Metallic aerosol paint over cellulose sanding sealer + tissue on 2mm liteply. It's a Ford colour but I can' t remember the name.

Dave M

Tony Hadley22/03/2018 08:50:29
885 forum posts
525 photos

In the Flotsam & Jetsam item, April 2018 Model Boats magazine, John Parker discusses the Elmic Sprite outboard motor. In the article, John makes reference to Vic Smeed's 'Slipper'design (Model Maker magazine March 1959), which was a design suitable for the Sprite outboard.

The article and plan for 'Slipper'

slipper (1).jpg

slipper (2).jpg

slipper - plans.jpg

Ray Wood 222/03/2018 12:12:19
1250 forum posts
514 photos

What a lovely little design, I'd like to see that with brushless motor & lipos ! & a dummy outboard as the rudder

Regards Ray

Tony Hadley12/04/2018 09:57:04
885 forum posts
525 photos

Pleased you like the little outboard design Ray.

Pirana, a modified design was mentioned in #11 of this thread and Colin added the article to the website. I came across this photograph of Vic's original 'Pirana' in his early book, Working Models. The paintwork would look good in colour.

**LINK**

Pirana (MM620) is described as an Express Cruiser, 28" (711mm) and the plan is available from Sarik.

**LINK**

pirana (4).jpeg

Tony Hadley15/04/2018 11:44:46
885 forum posts
525 photos

Ray,

Just read on Model Boats magazine facebook that your 'Silver Mist' is featured in the next Model Boats magazine (June 2018), looking forward to the item. Some good on-the-water shots in the facebook taster.

Nice One!

keep the faith.

ray woods silver mist.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Meridienne Oct 19
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor