Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley26/10/2017 18:08:02
891 forum posts
531 photos

Hi Gareth,

Firstly, what a superb restoration of LaSwan by your wife.

I don't have any drawings of Harem, but managed to find a photograph in an old plans handbook. The photograph is in the middle of the attached page, it's not a good photograph but does show the sloping stern which shows that Ian Bell's Harem is correct. As Ian says earlier Harem was originally from model aircraft magazine Radio Modeller. Vic ran a series on model yachting in this magazine commencing March 1980 under the heading Sail-In. Off topic the other plan from this magazine was Witchwind, plan RM231 with the accompanying article in the May 1980 edition. I once thought about building this neat little 30" yacht, but a reality check and return back to work prevented this.

If you send me your email in a private message, I will send you the latest listing of Vic's designs and see if anything else could be a possibility, it's a word document. The first listing was on this site as a Members Contribution, then a second listing was featured in the Model Boats magazine special edition of April 2015, which Colin Bishop edited. Colin provided a great deal of help and support with this. Nowadays I just add designs to the list as they appear.

harem.jpeg

Gareth Jones26/10/2017 18:59:47
778 forum posts
1065 photos

Hi Ian and Tony,

Thanks very much for your help in trying to identify the original design of LaSwan. I am not sure whether Elizabeth would be pleased or annoyed by your compliment about her restoration as the photos on the previous page are of LaSwan before she started on it. However she did do a good job, the link to the album is here **LINK**

I am intrigued by the plans handbook page because the profile which is most like LaSwan is the one in the top right hand corner which does not have a reference number against it so it's another mystery. I have ordered the back issue of the magazine which featured Harem and expect to get it in the next few days so if anything new emerges I will let you know.

At the moment I am trying to identify the origin of her next restoration project which is another Marblehead that we think is a Stan Witty design. By a process of elimination I think it may be a design called Vega from October 1963 but I have not got a plans handbook which shows that one so I am waiting for the back issue of that Model Maker as well.

Gareth

Ian Bell 126/10/2017 19:43:49
23 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Gareth,

If of any interest to you, the magazines from Ebay that I referred to cover 3 months of the Harem build that I already have ( so now have spares!) You would be welcome to those, but I am not sure that they would give you anything that would help in your search, as they plainly show Harem in the same form as mine.

Gareth Jones27/10/2017 18:16:04
778 forum posts
1065 photos

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the offer of the magazines but my copy of the Nov 82 Radio Modeller arrived this morning with the plan in it so I am now sorted. It would appear LaSwan is a hybrid of Harem and Genie. It has the sloping bow and two chine hull section of Harem. However it has a vertical transom and a rudder skeg like Genie. It also has a radial jib as shown on the Genie plans.

I know that the builder of LaSwan was not a member of a club and not interested in racing so I guess he was not fussed that the hull ended up about an inch longer than the limit for a Marblehead.

The next mystery to solve is the Stan Witty design but I will have to wait for the Oct 1963 back issue of Model Maker to arrive to help with that.

Gareth

Tony Hadley27/10/2017 21:23:25
891 forum posts
531 photos

There is a build of Vic's little tug design Bustler in progress on modelboatmayhem forum.

**LINK**

Bustler was the best-selling plan in the 1956 Power Boat category. Found this article in April 1957 Model Maker magazine.

11.jpg 

Edited By Tony Hadley on 27/10/2017 21:44:05

Tony Hadley17/12/2017 20:58:30
891 forum posts
531 photos

In the July 1963 RCME magazine (Twinkler free plan), the Commercial Developments column shows the Vixtric hulls designed by Vic Smeed. These were large hulls 36" with a 12.5" beam designed for 15cc i.c. engines, they were available in red or blue.

I realise this is a long shot, but can anyone provide further information about them?

twinkler (1).jpg

vixtric (2).jpeg

vixtric (3).jpeg

vixtric (4).jpeg

Tony Hadley27/12/2017 09:59:05
891 forum posts
531 photos

MM652 Vivacity a large 54" x 17" cabin cruiser, the article is from August 1961 Model Maker magazine. Plans are still available from Sarik. A half sized model would make for a good manageable modern project.

**LINK**

vivacity (1).jpg

vivacity (2).jpg

Tony Hadley29/12/2017 10:04:15
891 forum posts
531 photos

A Vivacity is currently being built by David Cross, a member of the Modelboatmayhem facebook group. David tells me that since these photographs were taken, he is re-working the cabin superstructure. Nevertheless it's looking a superb build and the finished model should give good performance with the i.c. power plant.

vivacity (3).jpg

vivacity (4).jpg

vivacity (5).jpg

Tony Hadley14/01/2018 12:27:53
891 forum posts
531 photos

Gareth,

A couple of yacht photographs which may be of interest.

The popular 'Genie' (MM1175), christened 'Black Monk' and from the Leeds and Bradford club. The photograph is from February 1975 Model Boats mag, the text says: Note the rudder position.

Marcie (MM1304) is described as a lightweight RM for inland or light weather waters. The photograph is from the March 1983 Model Boats magazine and the yacht is from the other side of the pond. This is the first photograph I have ever seen of this design.

genie.jpeg

marcie.jpeg

Tony Hadley20/02/2018 09:21:36
891 forum posts
531 photos

A couple of photographs of a 'Pathfinder' seen at the MEX exhibition 2018 and featured in the show report, see Model Boats magazine March 2018. This model was seen and photographed by Graham Ashby, magazine editor.

The text in the magazine reads "Built by Bill Cocking, and displayed in his memory, was this lovely example of the 1954 Trinity House pilot tender, Pathfinder. Bill was clearly a fastidious builder."

Builds of Pathfinder (MM393) have been previously shown in this thread #8, #14 & #20.

pathfinder mex (1).jpg

pathfinder mex (2).jpg

The use of these images is with the kind permission of the editor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Shrek
Meridienne Dec 6th
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor