Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Bell 120/10/2017 16:25:24
23 forum posts
7 photos

2.jpgThe other is the Star C yacht, which was projected as a new racing class but never caught on 42". MB sponsored the making of 50 hulls to get it started

In the day, it was reckoned that you could get it on the water for £20 excluding radio and that was buying the hull, the sails and fittings !1.jpg

Tony Hadley20/10/2017 18:05:36
897 forum posts
536 photos

Ian, it's good to see some yachts posted in this thread. Your Panache looks good, as does the Star C. The Star C at 42" should make a good sailing model, your blue coloured hull is most impressive.

After our discussion on facebook, here are the three photographs of your Harem. Plan number RM358 from the 1970s, I can't seem to find a magazine article to accompany the plan. Described as a Marblehead with a cabin/cockpit. This model which you bought off ebay looks to be in a solid condition and well worth the planned restoration, I wish you good luck with this project. This is the first example of this design I have seen.

ians harem (1).jpg

ians harem (2).jpg

ians harem (3).jpg

Ian Bell 120/10/2017 18:19:00
23 forum posts
7 photos

hi Tony, the Harem featured in Radio Modeller magazine starting in October 1982 and running through to about February 1983. I have the November-January issues. I did see someone selling two on Ebay a little while ago and saved a couple of photos of them . I will look them out and put them on here if it doesn't bore people !

Edited By Ian Bell 1 on 20/10/2017 18:48:00

Edited By Ian Bell 1 on 20/10/2017 18:48:36

Ian Bell 120/10/2017 18:39:58
23 forum posts
7 photos

h3.jpgh2.jpgThose extra photosh1.jpg

Edited By Ian Bell 1 on 20/10/2017 18:41:03

Bob Abell20/10/2017 19:59:15
8838 forum posts
2755 photos

Hello Ian

The sloping windscreen, shown earlier, looks very nice........Was it on the plan?

Bob

Ian Bell 120/10/2017 20:40:38
23 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Bob,

Yes the cabin is shown on the plan. The plan also details the bulkheads needed to produce the flat(tish) deck version

Tony Hadley21/10/2017 09:08:35
897 forum posts
536 photos

I made a typo earlier, Harem plan number should have read RM258, not RM358.

Another of Vic's popular designs, Tiddler (plan V104), a small 20" TID tug, again built by Brian Rosserode.

brians tiddler.jpg

Tony Hadley25/10/2017 12:21:54
897 forum posts
536 photos

Suzie Q from item from Model Maker magazine March and April 1965.

Cover from the April edition.

suzie q cover.jpg

March edition

suzie q (1).jpg

suzie q (2).jpg

suzie q (3).jpg

April edition

suzie q (4).jpg

suzie q (5).jpg

Gareth Jones25/10/2017 15:37:16
788 forum posts
1067 photos

Hi Tony,

With you being the expert in all things Vic Smeed and following on from the postings by Ian Bell above, could you give us some advice on a yacht restored by my wife about 5 years ago. It is shown in the photos below and was initially identified, with Colin Bishop's help as a Vic Smeed Genie.

laswan2.jpg

laswan1.jpg

However when we bought the Genie plan, we came across several discrepancies. The prow of LaSwan is more steeply raked and it does not have the flat bottom section shown on the Genie plan, but two simple chines on each side. In addition it does not comply with the Marblehead rules, as it is 51 inches long.

I have thought for some time that maybe it is a Harem built without a cabin but I have never seen the Harem drawings. Do you know whether Harem was 50 or 51 inches long? It certainly seems to have more a steeply rake prow similar to LaSwan. However the stern of LaSwan is cut off square and not sloping as shown in Ian Bells photographs of his Harem.

The original builder of LaSwan was evidently heavily influenced by Vic Smeed as most of the fittings have been home made and could have been made directly from the drawings in Vic Smeed's book Model Yachting.

Any advice you can offer would be gratefully received. Whatever the answer, LaSwan is a really nice yacht to sail and while it does not have the graceful lines of many of Elizabeth's other yachts, it does have a powerful, purposeful appearance, almost a small warship shape.

Gareth

Ian Bell 126/10/2017 17:52:14
23 forum posts
7 photos

Gareth,

I have just been looking through a few old Radio Modeller magazines that I bought off of Ebay . In the January 1982 edition, in his regular column, Vic Smeed shows a small design which is extremely similar to yours. It has the sweeping stem and the upright transom.

Although he doesn't mention design length, from a picture of someone sailing it , I reckon that it would be about 25-30 inches . It is called Witch Wind and is plan number RM231.

I wonder if yours is built from the same design at twice size.

P.S  Just found a list of Vic's yacht designs and it was 30"

Edited By Ian Bell 1 on 26/10/2017 17:59:25

Edited By Ian Bell 1 on 26/10/2017 18:01:51

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor