Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Wooley07/06/2013 18:14:02
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

One of Vic Smeed’s publications from 1956 still has lots of good material that would be useful even today...Model Makers Manual of 1957, which Vic edited has quite a number of unpublished plans of various types of models from yachts through to powerboats and hydroplanes a very popular form of power boating at that period. I was a great fan of Vic’s power boat designs and when the fast electric scene started to become interesting it was Vic's designs such as the Moccasin that got the likes of Philip Connolly inspired who was at that time top of his tree in high IC speed and an accomplished designer in his own right, Phil collaborated with Vic on the fast eclectics from the early 1960s onwards. And Vic’s influence helped Phil Connolly to develop such designs as Minuteman, Black Marauder and the hugely successful Marksman which would still do well today. Vic as a person and through his designs had a great influence on my own direction in the hectic world of speed and speed steering and my first steps into writing which I shall always be grateful for. What amazes me and always will is Vic’s ability, at least in the model boating world to change direction in his designs from power boating to scale and back again. There is an event at Fleetwood this Saturday and Sunday where many of the power boat designs of the period will be put through their paces by the Vintage model Power Boat club a real nostalgia trip and a chance to step back in time .

img096.jpgDave Wooley

Tony Hadley10/06/2013 13:47:47
914 forum posts
559 photos

Dave, looking forward to seeing more of the Moonsong design. Looks excellent.

Look at this beauty which I stumbled across whilst researching further. Why don't we see more catamarans at the lake?

tom tom (1).jpg

tom tom (3).jpg

tom tom (4).jpg

Tony

David Wooley10/06/2013 15:01:00
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

I Attended the Vintage model boat event at Fleetwood , a superb day with real chance to see again after many years modellers and boats from period of our hobby that i thought I would never see again. WellIi was wrong , I have never seen so many vintage kits and designs put through their paces Fleetwood was a major power boat venue in the 50 s and 60s and being there brought back a few memories . One of many Sea Queens present at Fleetwood , One Swordsman enlarged from an MAP design has its original petrol engine and was going strong after 60 years !.

img_0855.jpgDave Wooley

john blanks 114/06/2013 16:23:54
48 forum posts
5 photos

i have just started to build a higgings hell boat by glynn guest scale 1...32 2 foot i have a 7.2 nimi battery what motor and prop would i need not fussed about speed

Dave Milbourn14/06/2013 20:06:32
4025 forum posts
282 photos

MFA 540/1 motor + 35mm 3-blade prop.
I don't want to discourage you from asking valid questions but as this isn't a Vic Smeed design could you please use another thread for posting unrelated questions? Otherwise the existing thread becomes sidetracked and ultimately the original subject is lost.
No offence intended whatsoever.
Dave M

LARRY WHETTON15/06/2013 16:07:22
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hi Tony,

Watching this post with great interest ,

the TOM TOM LOOKS a great little boat ,

is the plan any where.?... cheers Larry...

Dave Milbourn15/06/2013 16:43:15
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Larry

I have copies of the plan in JPG format but it's actually four separate sheets stitched together in Photoshop. I don't know what size it prints at. I have also traced it in CAD and produced a one-piece A1-size working plan which you can have in PDF format. You'll also need the other one to obtain dimensions etc as my drawing isn't lettered. The drawing will cost about three quid to have run off at your local copy shop.

Send me a PM with your regular E-mail address.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 15/06/2013 16:46:41

LARRY WHETTON17/06/2013 19:57:07
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello Dave,

Thank you, sorry a bit late replying been tide up with a load of junk...laugh..

pm sent...cheers Larry..

LARRY WHETTON18/06/2013 09:44:30
819 forum posts
600 photos

Good morning Dave ,

A ll received ok thank you ..........Larry..

LARRY WHETTON22/06/2013 17:02:45
819 forum posts
600 photos

tom tom 003.jpg

tom tom 002.jpgHello All,

Thanks to Dave , i have started a TOM TOM a classic build of Vic Smeed,

twin hulls a bit of challenge , bow noses tricky but so far so good, pictures so far

balsa build , 540 power 7.5 volt power,

tom tom 001.jpg

cheers Larry...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor