Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Gardner28/06/2017 16:17:11
561 forum posts
1 photos

Clever stuff Bob! Makes me realise what a huge model your Silver Mist is, although I suppose they might not quite be in proportion to one another due to the differing photos.

All the best,

Ian

Edited By Ian Gardner on 28/06/2017 16:17:40

Bob Abell28/06/2017 17:13:57
8277 forum posts
2530 photos

Hello Ian

An interesting picture

The lengths are exactly to scale, and I only guessed it.........36" and 48" ......My boat is a bit high in the water

Bob

Tony Hadley01/07/2017 20:25:20
889 forum posts
530 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 28/06/2017 14:23:10:

Hi Tony.......Hope you don`t mind me adding a contrived picture of Vic Smeed`s Silver Mist of differing scales?

Bob

Bob, I only wish I could find a colour photograph of a 21" Silver Mist which with some of your photo magic would show the 'as design' size against yours and Ian's enlarged versions.

Bluebird, what a superb model your Cervia is. After seeing your photograph, I did some further research and found the original magazine item. It was published over two parts, December 1959 and January 1960 with a free plan in the December 1959 issue. The written work was by Arthur O Pollard, Jr. who wrote many items about Thames ships for the early magazines. His item also features many photographs of the full sized tug. The full sized tug is of course still in existence and would be worth a visit for anyone near or going to Ramsgate.

**LINK**

I also came across an enlarged model which was featured in two of Vic's books, Model Ships and Scale Model Ships from the 1980s. The model is steam powered and one of the photographs shows the steam plant. The text regarding the steam installation mentions the use of asbestos string which can be seen in the photograph, today a knitted glass wool would be used. I didn't like the use of the chocolate block electrical connections, much prefer to see solder and heat shrink or mechanical crimp for a more professional looking installation. (this has been discussed many times and it was only an observation regarding this model).

Plans and a hull are available - MM567 - **LINK**

cervia (1).jpg

cervia (2).jpg

cervia (4).jpg

cervia (3).jpg

Edited By Tony Hadley on 01/07/2017 20:27:07

Bob Abell02/07/2017 07:06:35
8277 forum posts
2530 photos

Hello Tony

Your wish is granted

Models by Ian Gardner, Ray Wood and Bob Abell

Bob

three silver mists.jpg

Ian Gardner02/07/2017 11:07:55
561 forum posts
1 photos

Well done Bob! I was also going to suggest adding Ray's model. No doubt I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think his was about 30''. We still don't have a 21'' model- there was one in the gallery somewhere, but I forget the name of the gent who made it. I remember having some correspondence with him, and he used to sail it on Roadford Lake in Devon - not a million miles away from me. I used to sail dinghys there.

I think mine and Ray's are about to collide! Fun to see them all together though.

Tony, you are a mine of information. Interesting work, hunting for this information. I remember the original Arthur O Pollard articles from my younger days.

All the best,

Ian

Tony Hadley02/07/2017 21:55:14
889 forum posts
530 photos

Must agree with Ian in saying "well done Bob", on making a good photograph.

Ian, a "mine of information", I think Mrs H. would add an extra word and say a "mine of useless information". Guess I like researching information from the archives and to further add to this I came across another Smeed/Pollard joint item. A Trinity House Pilot Cutter, Pilot II from June 1960 Model Maker and re-printed in the Model Boats Plan Features Special of 2012.

Pilot II would make into a super little model at only 24" (600mm). Again the written works were done by Arthur O Pollard, Jr. with the plan by Vic. MM645 plan number.

**LINK**

plan features special.jpg

pilot ii.jpg

Ray Wood 203/07/2017 08:29:55
1287 forum posts
516 photos

tugs bw 020717 006.jpgMorning All

Ian is spot on my Silver Mist is 30" long and one of my favourite of Vic's designs, Original 21" plan behind, really tiny in comparison, The stand doubles as transmitter storage. Build pictures in my album, ply keel & decks everything else balsawood.tugs bw 020717 008.jpg The pilot II is another design which I need to build at some stage

Regards Ray

John W E03/07/2017 08:39:15
215 forum posts
199 photos

002.jpg004.jpgHi ya Tony

As you requested, here are a couple of pics of Vic Smeed’s Custom Launch that I build from the free plans. I made several alterations to mind, where in the plan, the wheelhouse door is on the front. I moved it to the side. Also, I extended the rudder to give it a bit more manoeuvrability. I used the model a few times in Scale Regatta Competitions and on a normal sized rudder it was a bit slow to turn. That was my excuse for poor ability to steer.

john001.jpg

Bob Abell03/07/2017 09:51:07
8277 forum posts
2530 photos

Hi Fella`s

To put the record straight.......My picture of the three Silver Mists, represents my 48" model, Ian`s 36" model and Ray`s 30" model, reduced to the 21 1/2" Vic`s original as Tony wished for

Bob

Ian Gardner03/07/2017 13:43:14
561 forum posts
1 photos

I love to see all these old Vic Smeed designs. I remember pushing my daughter up and down the garden in her pram trying to get her off to sleep whilst studying the plan of Guardsman on the handlebars! It was published in 1982!

If I ever built another Vic Smeed design I'd love to do an enlarged Guardsman. It's such a well drawn design it would stand doubling- nudge, nudge, Bob! I remember mine weighed in the order of 4.5 pounds, so a twice size would be about 36lb! I had to build my original on a tray in the living room as I had to keep an ear out for said daughter when Mrs Gardner worked in the evenings.

I like that transmitter tray, Ray. I build my boat stands with an open tray at the bottom for tools and batteries but a wet boat drips on them -not ideal.

Keep up the good work chaps!

All the best,

Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
PremierJuly 2019
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor