Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley09/05/2017 21:09:22
889 forum posts
530 photos

Couldn't resist buying this 1964 book. Perhaps not in the best of condition but a good variety of designs from yesteryear. The ones of interest to model boat builders are a 24" yacht, a couple of catamarans, a hovercraft, a cabin cruiser and H.M.S. Lightning, a destroyer which with further detailing, would be a typical Glynn Guest design today.

working models (1).jpeg

working models (2).jpeg

Edited By Tony Hadley on 09/05/2017 21:10:30

Tony Hadley21/05/2017 08:31:27
889 forum posts
530 photos

There is currently a build of Hydro-Bat on the Cox engine forum. The airscrew design Hydro-Bat was presented as a free plan in the July/August edition of the American magazine Grid Leaks.

**LINK**

Tony Hadley04/06/2017 14:13:03
889 forum posts
530 photos

Managed to find another of Vic's designs - Sandfly, a land/sand yacht. Presented as a free plan in January 1981 Model Maker magazine, very easy construction from mainly balsa with plastic bag material as the sail.

sandfly (1).jpeg

sandfly (2).jpeg

For anyone interested in Vic's designs, Model Boat Mayhem forum are having a Vic Smeed and Glynn Guest theme for their annual event next year, 27 & 28th May 2018. To be held at Wicksteed Park. Unfortunately too far for me to travel.

**LINK**

Tony

Tony Hadley05/06/2017 15:03:10
889 forum posts
530 photos

Came across these images from the Doncaster Show. The photographs were on the facebook group, R/C Ships, Boats and Submarines. The photographs were taken by David King who has kindly given permission for them to be posted. David has posted many other show photographs in the group.

Models on display which I think are from Vic's plans (can't be 100% sure without speaking to the builders).

1)Frank Rayner Canal Boat from July 1956 Model Maker, plan number MM432 (no longer available).

vic smeed frank rayner (1).jpg

vic smeed frank rayner (2).jpg

and from the magazine article

vic smeed frank rayner (3).jpg

2) Vosper RTTL presented as a free plan in December 1958 Model Maker, plan number MM530.

vic smeed rttl (1).jpg

magazine front cover

vic smeed rttl (2).jpg

3) S-Boat/E-Boat presented as a free plan in December 1961 Model Maker, plan number MM667

vic smeed s-boat (1).jpg

magazine cover

vic smeed s-boat (2).jpg

Tony Hadley10/06/2017 20:32:23
889 forum posts
530 photos

Firstly, in the previous post the E-Boat model is definitely not one built to Vic’s MM667 design. The torpedo tubes and cabins are different. I won’t ask Colin to delete as it’s still a good model and worth showing. On some forums I would have been ‘ripped to shreds’ for making an error such as this, but it shows what a good bunch the members of this site are.

-----------------------------

Earlier in the thread I mentioned my next build from Vic’s designs was to be Lorena.

The design Lorena (MM526) was taken out of the plans service in the late 1960s, last appearing in the 1968 plans handbook. Originally designed as a 42” model for i.c. power with the possibility to build by different construction methods i.e. round bilge planked, hard chine and bread and butter. Model Maker magazine published the article to accompany the plans in October 1958. Lorena was based on the larger and earlier design Lorraine which was featured in April 1958. My thanks go to to forum member Dave Milbourn for locating and providing a set of the plans for the build.

Lorena was one of series of five designs by Vic which used girl’s/women’s names beginning with Lor. The others are Lorelei (MM267) Jan 1953, Lorette (MM370) April 1955, Lorosa (MM506) March 1958 and Lorraine (MM512) April 1958. All these others are still available from the Traplet plans service

Attached are a couple of photographs of the progress with the hull. The build is a half-sized round bilge 21” balsa planked version to suit ‘kitchen table’ building. The finish of the hull’s planking (after filler) is light glass cloth and Eze-cote. The next stage is to fit the propeller and propeller shaft which are on order. The rudder shown on the plan is not a commercially available shape and size and will need to be fabricated, as was done with my previous Smeed design, Guardsman.

Future thoughts, probably for the autumn/winter building season, go towards a suitable motor, fitting the already made decks, a stand, the superstructure, fittings and a colour scheme. The speed doesn’t need to be to that of a fast electric, it’s a cabin cruiser! I did think of making the switch to brushless, but a spare MFA RE385 in the spares box might be worth a try. Any help/advice would be welcome. The i.c. motor in the original 42” is within an enclosed area with open vents to allow the engine to breath, these vents need only to be dummies for electric power. For the paint colours, 1950s retro colours would look good, perhaps a shade or two deeper than DM used on Twinkler earlier in the thread.

Time really moves on at an alarming rate and since selling all my other models except two, (Guardsman and Southampton RTR tug) I’m now thinking about the next build, which will be back to paddle power, Vic’s design again, Royal Falcon (MM381).

lorena (21).jpg

lorena (22).jpg

Tony

Tony Hadley22/06/2017 09:42:30
889 forum posts
530 photos

Yet more models built to Vic's designs. These three were all built by forum member Ian Gardner. Ian and I became friends some years ago through discussing Vic's designs. I emailed Ian the other night and his lack of appearance on this forum have been due to his music commitments.

Mistral MM348 with the accompanying magazine article in November 1954 Model Maker. The model has been enlarged from the 18" design size to 25" giving an approximate scale of 1:16. Hull is lite-ply covered in tissue and dope. Powered by a Graupner Eco 500.

ian gardners mistral (1).jpg

ian gardners mistral (2).jpg

Silver Mist MM524 the accompanying magazine articles were in the September, October, November and December 1958 Model Maker. The original design was for a 21" model, Ian's model is an enlarged 36" version at 1:16 scale. The hull is 6mm birch ply frames with obeche bow and stern blocks, the planking is also obeche. The superstructure is ply faced with sapele to represent mahogany. The decks are parana pine with black card caulking. Bob Abell has also built a large Silver Mist and a detailed build log can be easily found on the forum.

ian gardners silver mist (3).jpg

ian gardners silver mist (4).jpg

The third and final offering to this post is Ian's Veleta MM575. Built again at a larger 1:24 scale giving a model of 36" long as against the design size of 24". Hull is balsa and lite-ply covered with a nylon stocking, finished with Poly-C used for skinning aircraft. The deck is basswood with black card caulking. Waterways and kingplanks are mahogany.

ian gardners veleta (2).jpg

ian gardners veleta (6).jpg

This is only a selection from Ian's website and more information about the builds (and other models) can be found in the link.

**LINK**

Bob Abell22/06/2017 09:58:36
8277 forum posts
2530 photos

Hi Tony

The pictures of Vic's timeless models are very easy on the eye and have a nice peaceful soothing effect on me

Do they affect you, like that?

Bob

Tony Hadley22/06/2017 20:48:29
889 forum posts
530 photos

Hi Bob,

Timeless models, I think that's a good description, not only of Vic's models, but also many others. Others which I like are the novel designs of W.P. Holland, I also wish I had room for a graceful vane 'A' class yacht. My future build list keeps growing but .....

Tony

John W E27/06/2017 17:04:07
215 forum posts
199 photos

hi there picture of Vic Smeed's Cervia the funny thing on the front of the bridge is an actual spy camera - onboard videoing - p6110013 (2).jpg

Edited By bluebird on 27/06/2017 17:05:04

Bob Abell28/06/2017 14:23:10
8277 forum posts
2530 photos

Hi Tony.......Hope you don`t mind me adding a contrived picture of Vic Smeed`s Silver Mist of differing scales?

Bob

two silver mists_edited-1.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
PremierJuly 2019
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor