Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Milbourn11/06/2016 15:48:14
3732 forum posts
239 photos

Ian

Oops! You have to be so careful with Search Engines when the simple word "model" has so many, shall we say, 'interesting' different connotations...

BTW I spared Harry the same lecture (it's vs its).

My T-shirt should say "Proud to be pernickety!"

DM

Ian Gardner11/06/2016 17:23:08
561 forum posts
1 photos

I'm with you all the way Dave. I was fairly aghast when I looked back at my hurried post - it was just haste and fat thumbs, honest!

I have just berated the editor of my national paper for writing 'bored of' instead of 'bored with'- haven't heard back, and I expect they are also thinking I should get a life. I'll have one of those tee shirts- and check my posts more thoroughly in future.

Regards,

Ian

Neville Taylor 223/06/2016 14:24:51
28 forum posts

Hi Guys.

As anyone other than myself built Vic Smeed's "Scudder"? I still havr the plan but wondering how to build it without having to use a rudder that sits under the craft. I tried to fit air rudders like you see on the Florida Keys Air-boats but it made the model look ugly and steering was a hit and miss affair. For the portholes I used Smartie Tube caps All one colour and glazed them, very effective.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this model.

Tony Hadley23/06/2016 18:06:33
891 forum posts
531 photos

Neville,

There was thread about the build of Scudder on this site some time ago. Must take an educated guess that the model was designed as a free running model as r/c was large and wasn't really affordable back then (Scudder was featured in the January 1954 Model Maker magazine).

Hope the thread is of interest and do you have any photographs of your model to post?

**LINK**

Tony

Neville Taylor 224/06/2016 01:34:05
28 forum posts

Hi Tony.

Sorry I built the model in England in the 70's powered by an OS 15. I raised the rear Nachelle to accommodate the motor so that I could mount it upright. It was NOT a free runner, I had a Simprop Analogue 5 channel system at that time and she handled great until I tried to put rear vanes on as I said.

She was left in England when we came to Australia in 1980, which I regret, but she wouldn't have suvived the journey. as it was we had a lot of household items missing. I intend to build her again when I do I will send photos (I've got to learn how) of all the craft I am building.

Neville (2)

Tony Hadley08/07/2016 14:45:05
891 forum posts
531 photos

Photographs of a model of Pathfinder were posted earlier (page 8 of the thread). Recently whilst reading the January 1961 edition of Model Maker magazine, a photograph of another was spotted. This one would have been a real 'gem' with it's diesel power plant.

Relevant extracts from the text -

"The Pathfinder moving nippily along is from MODEL MAKER plans. Incredibly this nicely built model is fitted with a Taplin Twin driving two 1.5 inch three-blade props through a 3:1 reduction gearbox. The trim of the boat was corrected by including 12 ounces of lead ballast to counterbalance the offset motor. Radio is fitted and realistic scale performance is achieved with the engine running at low speed. The main modification to the model for this engine, was to increase the width of the engine room hatch, which made it necessary to remove the two Carley floats."

pathfinder.jpeg

Robert Putley11/07/2016 08:26:33
24 forum posts

I read Tony Hadley's piece on thr XQQME race boat with interest, as it reminded me of another of Vic Smeed's designs.

This was a very similat design, but I would guess about two thirds of the size, and elecric motor powered. My brother and I built one each, using Deac 4.8v 500mah button cells, this was before Nicads came on the mkt.

It would be great if anyone knows the name of this model, and if plans are avilable as I should love to build another.

Tony Hadley11/07/2016 14:51:28
891 forum posts
531 photos

Robert,

I had a look in an old plans handbook and came across these Vic Smeed designs for fast electric, are any of them the design you are looking for? Sniper (MM1224) and Moccasin (MM1062) are still available in the myhobbystore shop, whereas Snapper (MM1000) isn't (I may have a copy in archive in archive, should it be required). Sniper was featured the December 1972 Model Boats magazine (developed further with Dave Wooley), Moccasin was featured in the April 1964 Model Maker magazine and Snapper was featured in the the May (as a free plan) & June 1968 Model Boats magazine.

If these aren't the design you are looking for, please advise and I will research further.

moccasin.jpeg

sniper.jpeg

snapper 1.jpeg

Robert Putley11/07/2016 21:10:46
24 forum posts

Hello Tony,

The Flatso would be the model.

I would also would be interested in the Sniper MK ll, as I have a Bullet I purchase decades ago and is still unused.

Tony Hadley12/07/2016 08:10:17
891 forum posts
531 photos

Hello Robert,

Plans for both are available, Flatso, is a Philip Connolly design - MM795

**LINK**

Sniper MkII is by Dave Wooley and Vic Smeed as previously discussed - MM1224

**LINK**

Good luck with the building

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier Thursday
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor