Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley22/02/2016 16:32:52
889 forum posts
530 photos

Earlier in this thread, I asked for information about Lorena, which stopped being listed in the plans service from the late 1960s or early 1970s. Thanks to regular forum contributor Dave Milbourn, the information has been provided.

Lorena was designed to be built using either either bread and butter, round bilge planked, hard chine or a GRP moulding taken and this is the same with Lorena's larger sister, Lorraine. The 54" Lorraine is still available in the plans service.

The styling of Lorena is dated by modern standards, but it just oozes nostalgia. A 21" half sized version has been added to the to-do list.

Thanks again Dave.

lorena (2).jpg

harry smith 123/02/2016 02:49:13
866 forum posts
1123 photos

Hi All

Some old plans are available on flea-bay from Canada on CD, e.g. Lorraine , Beachcomber, Pirana, Moonmist.

Tony Hadley09/05/2016 12:54:12
889 forum posts
530 photos

Lorelei, Vic's first model boat design, published in the January 1953 edition of Model Maker magazine. David Goodhand's model is featured in this months (June 2016) Model Boats magazine. The article is an interesting read on vintage radio control and electrics. The plan, MM267, is still available.

lorelei.jpeg

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 09/05/2016 14:36:36

Tony Hadley10/06/2016 09:44:32
889 forum posts
530 photos

A couple of photographs of Vic's Moonmist design from the 2010 Model Boats Commemorative Special 1950-2010 (WH Smith).

The first is Vic's original and the second is Glynn Guest's updated version which is the subject of one of the articles in the magazine, Moonmist Revisited. A snippet from the item - Cheap, easy to build, performs well and it's all your own work. What more could a boat modeller ask?

moonmist (4).jpg

moonmist (5).jpg

Bob Abell10/06/2016 09:56:11
8277 forum posts
2530 photos

Hi Tony

A pair of nice models from two master designers, for comparison?

Being an old stick in the mud myself, I prefer Vic`s old world charm design

Glynn`s version is more suited to the young budding boat modeller of today

Bob

Tony Hadley10/06/2016 10:55:23
889 forum posts
530 photos

Bob,

With your comment "young budding modeller" I think I will have to cast my vote for the Glynn Guest version. After all, I'm one of the younger members of this hobby - soon to sing the famous Beatles song - "When I'm Sixty Four"..

Tony

harry smith 110/06/2016 12:03:11
866 forum posts
1123 photos

Hi Bob and Tony

I would rather Vic's version with it is graceful lines!!!

I have traded a few swaps and added a few Vic Smeed plans to my collection.

These have been resized!!!

Pirana 33", Beachcomber 36" and the Remora 34".

Also found the plans in a book of the Coline, V-bottomed Florida Sport fisherman 50 foot.

A shorter cabin than the Moonmist.

Harry

Martin Field 110/06/2016 19:48:43
560 forum posts
6 photos

Vic Smeed's original is the one to build. That "revamp-for-it's-own-sake" is a hideous reworking!

Martin

harry smith 111/06/2016 07:11:59
866 forum posts
1123 photos

Hi All

I made a mistake. to\he Beachcomber is not a Vic Smeed ,but, a SG Pickering design.

Still a great boat!

What do you think of this Yankee Sport fisherman(Coline)(50 foot x 14 foot 5 inches, twin screw).

She was based at the Cat Cay Club on the Bahamas.

Her owner George Collier was the manager.

Harry

Dave Milbourn11/06/2016 08:34:48
3687 forum posts
234 photos

That "revamp-for-it's-own-sake" is a hideous reworking!

Aw, come on, Martin. Why not tell us what you really think?

DM

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
PremierJuly 2019
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor