Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Milbourn12/07/2015 12:34:29
3732 forum posts
239 photos

As an aside, Dave mentioned that if he built another 'Twinkler' he might use liteply, and I wondered what what sheet thickness he'd go for.

Howard
I'd still use medium-hard 1/4" balsa for the deck, chine and formers but change the balsa skins for 2mm liteply, simply because it's far less prone to "dings" (especially with a glass-cloth and epoxy covering). Incidentally the prototype has been passed onto an 11-year old lad who reportedly loves it. The 30mm prop has been changed for a 25mm one (3-blade) and so the top speed has been cut, along with the motor temperature. Running time has increased significantly.
Thanks for your kind comments about my scribblings - we tries us bestest!
Dave M

The Long Build16/09/2015 19:35:53
653 forum posts
269 photos

What turns up in a pile of my papers. Wind Rider

wp_20150916_001.jpg

Tony Hadley17/09/2015 09:03:08
891 forum posts
531 photos

Nice find Larry, have you also got Sea Rider in your archive?

A photograph of the finished model was shown in the 1979 (Hamlyn) book - Model Ships. The second photograph shows the vane gear, which is Draper pattern, according to the text, and the third photograph is Sea Rider. Wind Rider and Sea Rider were both featured in the 1975 BBC TV series Model World with Bob Symes/Vic Smeed. Wind Rider in the Model Yachts programme and Sea Rider in the Model Power Boats programme.

Both of these models were built by two young men featured in the programmes, Stephen building Wind Rider and Paul building Sea Rider, wonder if these two still build models?

from hamlyn book-wind rider.jpeg

from hamlyn book-wind rider (2) .jpeg

from hamlyn book-sea rider.jpeg

The Long Build20/09/2015 22:01:07
653 forum posts
269 photos

No I have not come across Sea Rider, not sure how or where I acquired Wind Rider for that matter..!!

Timothy Hayward-Brown06/12/2015 09:11:31
3 forum posts
4 photos

> I have built "Bobby"... Has anyone else built one?

Hi - I'm new to the forum and saw Tony's Smeed article which was great - and found Barry's comment here about 'Bobby'. I build model planes and just recently had a go at a boat and was attracted to Vic Smeed designs as I know his plans from the model plane world, of course. Here is my version of Bobby - changed a bit to look like a boat called 'Archie Badenoch'. The original I believe was built for RN by Australian motor vehicle company Holdens in second world war but was sold to South Australian Police where it served as a patrol boat until the 70s. It is now with the Maritime Museum and does tourist trips just a few kms from where I live. It is adapted from the Smeed and Jeffreys plan, so 'proper' scale modellers please avert your eyes now. It goes great and I often drive it around the lake on warm evenings.

I haven't worked out how to add a pic as yet by I will if you are interested.

cheers

Tim

Timothy Hayward-Brown06/12/2015 09:42:31
3 forum posts
4 photos

bobby finished.jpg

Timothy Hayward-Brown06/12/2015 09:43:56
3 forum posts
4 photos

bobby on the water.jpgimg_1807.jpgarchie.jpg

Colin Bishop06/12/2015 10:14:34
4250 forum posts
6041 photos
394 articles

That is a beautiful looking model Tim, that last photo is superb and really shows off the elegant lines.

Colin

Colin Bishop03/01/2016 12:11:35
4250 forum posts
6041 photos
394 articles

Whist sorting through some old papers my Wife came across this photo of me with my mv Arran built to Vic Smeed's plans. The photo was taken at a Berrylands MBC meeting at Surbiton Lagoon Lido by the local paper in around 1972.

The model was not R/C - I couldn't afford it in those days - but did have twin screws and was powered by dry batteries. Hull was balsa covered by gumstrip paper.

I'm rather pleased she found it as it is the best photo of the model I have. It gradually fell into disrepair and ended up on the garden bonfire!

Long time ago now!

Colin

album l arran at surbiton lagoon.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 03/01/2016 12:12:07

Tony Hadley03/01/2016 14:35:18
891 forum posts
531 photos

What a good photograph and a good find too, Colin. Was the photograph published in the newspaper? These old photographs are a good snapshot of the past, polo-neck jumpers were always nice and warm.

In the magazine item, your Bardic Ferry is a colour photograph, circa 1973 is another good photograph. Must guess this is personal photograph as against a B&W for the newspaper.

Sadly MV Arran (MM415), is no longer available as a plan, but it's always worth keeping an eye open for this and the other no-longer listed plans at Bring and Buy sales, on ebay etc.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Shrek
Meridienne Dec 6th
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor