Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs

Tony Hadley's list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop07/05/2013 10:19:09
4221 forum posts
6011 photos
399 articles

Tony Hadley has kindly made available the results of his researches into making a listing of Vic Smeed's model boat designs and their current availability or otherwise.

You can see his article on the front page of the website or find it under Features - Member Contributions.

I'm sure a lot of people will find it to be a very useful source of reference so thank you very much Tony.

If anyone has any suggested corrections or additions then please post them on this thread so that Tony can check them out and update the list as appropriare.

Colin

Ian Gardner07/05/2013 12:07:46
561 forum posts
1 photos

Excellent work Tony. I will be interested and I know many others will be too.

All the best...Ian

Dave Milbourn07/05/2013 12:33:18
3687 forum posts
234 photos

I remember building two examples of a little balsa model Vic designed, called Moonsong. It was a free plan at magazine page-size and may have been in either Model Boats or RCM&E. It was about 20" long and powered by a Marx-Luder 'Bongo' Schottel-drive. This unit has been out of production for a long time now, not least because they haven't made Monoperm motors for years. I recall the gears were reputed to be very fragile although I never had any problems with either of my units.
I later designed a model along these lines - albeit a bit larger - for my grandson. It had a flat-bottom and used a Graupner Schottel-drive #1775 which has a 50mm nozzle. I rewound an old 540 with 33 turns and ran it on 12 volts to power the unit. This was just about perfect. Maybe the smaller CEM 40mm drive unit would be suitable for the Moonsong, powered by something like a low-current MFA 540/1 on 6 or 7.2v. I'd be happy to give it a bash.
I know where I might be able to lay my hands on a copy of the plans so I shall make enquiries..... 'T would be rather nice to have the free plan and article revived in MB.
Dave M

Ian Gardner08/05/2013 10:37:28
561 forum posts
1 photos

Tony,

I don't know how far you want to go with your list but I have three more suggestions, none of which seemed to have been included in the MAP handbooks or had numbers.

The first was one I came across by accident in Model Maker, September 1961 called Sir Gele D'Isle, a small car ferry. It's about 11'' long and probably a bit of a pot boiler, but of interest none the less. It is described as 'an amusing, simple and cheap model which can be built in two evenings'. I have the magazine and could scan it if you are interested!

The second was in Model Boats, December 1971 and is a small steam yacht called Sunda- again a very simple design. I also have a copy of this.

Thirdly, in the Radio Control Special of 1976 there was a free plan for an Air Sea Rescue launch of about 2'. I built this and it went like a rocket with a 540 and six cells. Unfortunately the plan and the boat are long gone, but I have just tracked a plan down and hope to receive it.

As I write this it does occur to me that I might need to get out more!

As you know, I'm building a Veleta at 1.5 x original size and I think she will look good- just about to start deck planking and I will put some photos up. Seeing your Guardsman in embryo form and the lovely photos of Larry's in action has stiffened my resolve to build a bigger one after Veleta.

All the best....Ian

Edited By Ian Gardner on 08/05/2013 10:38:34

Colin Bishop08/05/2013 12:59:23
4221 forum posts
6011 photos
399 articles

I seem to have found another one as well, MM822 Antares, a 28 inch patrol launch built for portugal by Jame A Taylor of Shoreham. The original boat had a 58 ft hull so the model wouold be around 1/24-1/25 sale. The design was published on Model maker May 1965 and is still available from MHS as an X List plan

Colin

Colin Bishop08/05/2013 16:52:33
4221 forum posts
6011 photos
399 articles

And another! This time rather obscure. Vic published a full size plan in the August 1966 issue of Model Maker for Sparkler, a 21 inch customs type launch. Looks like it never made its way into the Plans Collection though!

I'm going through some old issues at the moment for another purpose and this and Antares caught my eye.

Colin

Tony Hadley08/05/2013 19:07:53
889 forum posts
530 photos

Thanks for all the replies, I am sure there will be even more. I will add them to the list and who knows, they may be of interest to someone in the future.

Tony.

Colin Bishop08/05/2013 19:16:03
4221 forum posts
6011 photos
399 articles

Tony,

After you have got some responses just PM me the updated list and I will update the article.

It's surprising what is coming out of the woodwork. Vic was a really prolific designer.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 08/05/2013 19:16:16

Bob Abell10/05/2013 11:22:34
8277 forum posts
2530 photos

Tony

I have a small Vic Smeed book......." Boat Modelling" printed in 1984

Would you like it?.........Just PM me your address.....FOC of course

Old books

Bob

Dave Milbourn07/06/2013 11:29:49
3687 forum posts
234 photos

I've been in the workshop............. moonsong 01a.jpg

This is Vic's little "Moonsong", designed for the long-obsolete Marx-Luder "Bongo" drive unit. This particular one has a conventional 30mm x 3 blade prop and rudder, driven by an MFA 385 Low Noise motor. Next up is a version with a steerable Kort nozzle, kindly made for me by Mark "MMB" Windless. Paul Freshney has shown an interest in publishing plans so watch MB magazine for more news.

Dave M

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Premier Thursday
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shrek
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor