By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Rubbing Stracke'ss

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Simmonds21/11/2007 14:58:00
22 forum posts
  What do other modelers use for the rubbing stracke's on their fishing boat hulls, I need to get a 5/16 strip and just wondered what you use.
Paul T22/11/2007 15:29:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi roger

I use steamed hardwood such as mahogany or oak.

I machine the wood to the required profile and make it slightly longer than required then I put it in a home made steam chest that is powered by a wallpaper steamer, this heats the wood up enabling me to bend it without it splitting.

Its a very old fashoned process but it works very well.

If you want more technical details then please let me know.

All the best

Paul

Roger Simmonds23/11/2007 10:58:00
22 forum posts

Hi paul

I guessed that you said it right, it is an old method and of course the proper way that traditional boats and ships were built.  I was more or less thinking on any new ways that people have such as rubber (don't think this would look right) or plastic or any other material that they use.

Paul T23/11/2007 14:27:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Roger

You could always use silicon rubber (bath sealent) if you squeeze out a length on a piece of glass then use a former / template cut to the right shape to make the silicone the right profile.

Let the silicone set then remove it from the glass with a sharp blade you will then have a perfect rubbing strake. It sounds a bit "Heath Robinson" but it does work very well. If you dont have a suitable piece of glass (I use the back door) you can use a piece of kitchen worktop

I sometimes use industrial door seals as rubbing strakes for example on my Trent Lifeboat (have a look on my gallery)

Paul

Manxman23/11/2007 16:03:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Roger,

The way Paul mentions is ideal, I've used this method myself, plasterers also use this method to make coving.

A very good site for any kind of seal or strake is .... http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

they make rubber extrusions of all shapes and show how to make a non standard profiles from standard ones.

Cheers - Ken

Paul T23/11/2007 17:10:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Ken

How is the latest matchdtick model getting on I have looked for progress photos but alas I have not seen any.

Thanks for the endorsement on the rubbing strakes the method sounds daft when you write it down but as you say it works a treat.

Have you had your day out with our teacher Vinnie yet?

All the very best

Paul

Manxman23/11/2007 18:21:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Paul,

Yeah - but SWMBO wasn't too happy - I used a bedroom window ! - but I did clean it before and after use. - Silicone - best filler/adhesive around, I've used so much of this I swear if you were to pick the house up and drop it - it would bounce!

'Pacific Light' - has come to a stop for the time being, though I have finished the aerial bridge along with the small mast, fire monitors and railings that go on it, just no pictures as of yet - busy working on the house in preparation for selling (hopefully moving to warmer climates in Crete toward the end of 2oo8)

I have 2 weeks off over Christmas, and if SWMBO thinks I'm refitting the kitchen then, then somebody's going to be disappointed ! - I'm locking myself in the shed (with a bottle of Teachers) for the duration ....

Cheers - Ken

Paul T23/11/2007 20:48:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Crete sounds fantastic but will you have to change your tipple to uzzo??
Sam Vimes25/11/2007 14:03:00
52 forum posts

Roger

Paul showed me how to steam timbers when he was working over here, it is a very simple process (but very hot) and the results are really very good.

Sam

Roger Simmonds25/11/2007 16:29:00
22 forum posts
  I will have to try this silicone method it sounds as if it has a lot of uses. thanks for replies chaps.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor