By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

star system on plans

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Balmer20/11/2007 04:00:00
18 forum posts

whilst looking through the list of available drawings advertised within Myhobbystore, i came across the multi star system for some models. may i ask what are these for. presumably 1star is for a beginner and four advanced.  or is it 1star for average looking and 4 for lots of details.

as i have had no luck in finding the model that i wanted to build, might i ask if anyone could advise me on a first model to build.   be it tug or fishing boat of the british type. also on the large size as the boat pond here in ottawa is rather open and choppy at the best of times.

many thanks Dave

Robert McHutchion20/11/2007 09:51:00
66 forum posts
10 photos

Ottawa?

hi mate, another canuck, Originally fran canada, but live in UK now. try one of the billings fishing boat kits, there quite good,

http://www.modelslipway.com/

just about to order the Vosper, but they have some great kits for all levels.

Any snow yet?

cheers

robert

David Balmer20/11/2007 13:57:00
18 forum posts

hi robert, sorry to say i'am from england and married a canuck. then she dragged me back to canada. been here for 7 years now.   living on the outskirts of ottawa. the weather has started to change. snow forcast for tomorrow and the temps begining to go down.   the -40's are comming in january as per norm.

have looked at the kits from modelslipway, yes there are two i would go for but due to cost are out of my reach.  have to look at scratch build from plans.

all the best David

mick20/11/2007 16:11:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya david

if u look on ebay for great plans he is in canada he has plenty of plans for sale

of which if you wont a bigger scale he will update the plans for you hope this

is of some help mick

Len Ochiltree20/11/2007 16:26:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

You could scale up a Springer Tug, see my gallery,Its a Canadian Pusher Tug and is a free download from  www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk

Len.                    

John Balmer20/11/2007 21:17:00
4 forum posts
 David Dont worry about a starter plan I will send you one this week and I promise it be easy 
David Balmer21/11/2007 03:10:00
18 forum posts

thanks for the link Len, have downloaded the basic plan. during my trawling of the site. i came upon the forum and links to a lot of real pusher tug photo's and that weird steering mechanism.   three links and three rudders.

my problem is i've lost where i was looking and tried in vain for over an hour trying to get back to the forum pages. may i ask if you might direct me back there.  this tug is just the ticket for the pond i have in mind.  i could have lots of fun and the young lad with this set up. some butty boats to shove around.

David

ps found the forum link and spent sometime looking over the many variations of this tug, even the clyde puffer.  i was gob smacked at what there is.  i'am now chomping at the bit and ready to get going. many thanks for this info. 

reguarding fish tail rudder. i came across pictures of a three rudder configuration another with a square section braized on the tail edge of a standard rudder and finally a kort nozzle.  so which would be the system recommended by yourself. or would you publish exactly what this fish tail rudder is.

Robert McHutchion21/11/2007 15:48:00
66 forum posts
10 photos

well david I did it the other way round, met an english lady and it was easier for me to move here, besides I like the climate and no snow to shovel in Devon.

by the way does your mate have a link for plans for a rvver patrol boat, if so send me an email.

please don't tell me you support the senators, or as a true leaf fan i would have to disown you, kidding mate

robert  

David Balmer21/11/2007 17:11:00
18 forum posts

hi robert, just snowed here last night. about 4 inch's and more forcast for later today in to evening. another 4-6inchs of wet snow.  i can cope with the cold over here but not the height of summer when your in to the high 30's with humidex readings of 40+.

you could trying looking on lens web site and see if there are any river patrol boats there.  i have now decided to go with the springer tug plans. very simple and lots of different versions to build. 

as for hockey i've not realy got in to it.  i've only ever got to see one live game ( 7years ago) yes that was the senators.

david

Len Ochiltree22/11/2007 16:28:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Just trawling through 21 emails re this forum!, I sent in a photo of the fishtail rudder, hope it is in my gallery,

Regards,

Len                    

Yep it is there! 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Shrek
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor