Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Cost nothing boats?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Len Ochiltree04/11/2007 15:29:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Each year I try to come up with a different idea for a boat competition for all the members of my local model boat club to make and race accross the lake. The main criteria is low or no cost. the 1st year we all made galleons from pipe lagging and carrier bags, the 2nd I set the rules to make sailing boat with a hull from a plastic bottle max size 1 litre or 2 at 500ml etc and sail area of no more than A4 size.

I need some new ideas please

Manxman04/11/2007 17:33:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Len

You seem to be making a 'serial' of these races, so why not a play on words and have a 'cereal' race !

Where each boat is made from just 1 family size cereal box,  The printed side must face outwards (no painting allowed, only sealer) so's cheats can be spotted using 2 boxes !There should be enough card in 1 box to make a small boat.  Power could be any small electric motor powered by no more than 4.8v - No radio, straight runners only.

Cheers - Ken

Paul T04/11/2007 20:52:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Sounds like a great idea, a fantastic idea, a real killer idea,

A cereal killer in fact.

And with the right motor and battery set up they should fairly snap, crackle and pop along

This would make the watching crowds go O O O O with excitement so much so that some people would flake out and land face first in the porridge.

Sorry to milk this pun but I had good raisins to do so as it is oat so good for my nutty sense of humus.

Well Ken this will teacher me to mix keyboard and best bitter.

But the cereal box idea is a good one.

Paul

Len Ochiltree04/12/2007 16:27:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Blimey with all the brains on this forum are there no other suggestions???

Crack open the Christmas cheer and get the brain cell/s working chaps/chapesses.

I look forward to lots of ideas,

Len 

Paul T04/12/2007 20:53:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Len

A few serious suggestions, and no christmas cheer has been drunk.

Use take away containers/bits to make sail boats the polystyrene take away cartons could be the hulls, drinking straws the masts and the sails could be hand towels. Your members could make mono or multi hulls but limited to 300mm long.

Of course you could always fit elastic band motors into the take away containers and make speed boats (real fast food) join the containers together to a max length of 900mm

Or turn the containers upside down and make hovercraft using plastic bags as the hover skirts. 

Paul

Len Ochiltree05/12/2007 12:05:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your ideas, how do I make a elastic band motor?, a sketch would be nice.

Len

Paul T05/12/2007 21:00:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Len

Kiddies model aircraft have elastic band motors.

But for a boat get a piece of wood 20mm wide by 12mm thick and 300mm long (for example) and put a vertical piece of wood on each end of 25mm high so you end up with a long flat U shape. Drill a 6mm hole through the centre of one upright and screw a cup hook into the inside face of the opposite upright.

Through the hole put a small length prop shaft and glue it in position, put a prop on the business end of the shaft and fit another cup hook onto the other end, Connect the cup hooks with lots of elastic bands.

Wind up the prop with a couple of hundred turns and let go..

As the elastic unwinds the prop will spin and move a boat through the water, it wont go far as it all depends upon how tight you can get elastic bands.

The ideal shape for an elastic powered boat is long and very thin.

If you are serious I could produce a basic design.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul

Len Ochiltree06/12/2007 17:17:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Hi Paul,

They do say never volunteer, If you could produce a basic design I would be obliged.

Thanks,

Len

ps I was thinking of using all those elastic bands that the Postman drops everywhere.

Manxman06/12/2007 17:34:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Len,

Lazzy band motors are ok (used them donkey years ago in planes) - but stay away from the red bands the posties drop - they are very poor quality and deteriorate very quickly ( I know, I worked for them for more than 22 years)

Best option here is to visit your local model shop and buy (sorry - mentioned the "B" word there) elastic strip made for the job.  Then give each contestant say 1 metre each to make their motors (get the money from the treasurer)

Cheers - Kenny

Paul T08/12/2007 21:00:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Len

Sorry not to reply, my computer has thrown in the towel and I have only just got back on line, I will do my best and get back to you soon.

All the best

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor