By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Searching for 3mm lite ply or card

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Damien Gardner01/12/2012 04:39:24
22 forum posts

Glynn Geast's feature plan in Oct 2012 MB mag calls for 3mm lite ply or card, have never heard of such things here in Oz and no luck on the WWW or ebay, can anyone suggest corrects names or perhaps a supplier that will ship to Australia please.

Cheers Damien.

david the newbe01/12/2012 06:27:08
62 forum posts
20 photos

hi damien

i got mine from here **LINK**

hope this helps.

im not sure if thay ship to oz but maybe the wizard to get it to oz for you.

dave

Paul T01/12/2012 07:26:33
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hello Damien

If you have access to a large DIY store or timber merchants I would suggest going and asking one of their experts about different plywoods, in the UK I would be looking for a top quality 3mm birch faced plywood with best birch veneers on both exterior surfaces.

Obviously I don't know what woods are used in plywoods in Australia but if you pass on the birch faced description the ply expert will know what you are looking for and should be able to offer a suitable alternative.

Good luck

Paul

Bob Abell01/12/2012 07:58:56
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Tut tut....Paul

Birch faced ply is definitely not Liteply and it isn`t light either!.........But is still very nice ply for other uses

I would recycle an old tea chest myself

Bob

Damien Gardner01/12/2012 09:35:35
22 forum posts

Thanks for the replies

I think Luan ply is a favourite lite ply even lighter is building grade ply but it's full of knot holes. Thinking on it any purchase off shore would probably be quarantined and sprayed with all sorts of muck for several months.

Being limited to a mobility scooter or taxi's It is convenien to purchase online.

I found a source of 2mm card my wife has an A3 book of tracing paper the backing is 2mm could be both expensive and wasteful as I would need 3 or 4 books that's a lot of wasted tracing paper.

david the newbe01/12/2012 09:39:30
62 forum posts
20 photos

lite ply has balsa in the middle if that helps you find a similar type of ply

dave

Paul T01/12/2012 12:40:48
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Tut Tut?

Wasn't he an Egyptian pharaoh who had a stammer.

Or perhaps an impression of a motor boat

ashley needham01/12/2012 16:34:28
7640 forum posts
159 photos

Dave is correct, Lite ply is light,.. ie weighs less that ordinary ply as the centre layer is balsa (or something else thats very light cant remember now).

It is also a bit softer than ordinary ply, and so is easier to work with. It is also less stiff, at least on longer runs and so is a bit wobbly.

Dont know what model you were looking at but card or lite ply seems to be an odd alternative. Card is freely available in art shops, but may need a bit more care when using it for construction, as it is very soft, and I would have thought needed a bit more support.

Was there a reason for specifying these materials in the article?

Ashley

david the newbe01/12/2012 16:52:36
62 forum posts
20 photos

Ashley i think damien is look at the wrigley article as thay used card in the build and it dose say lite ply or card on the plans

dave

Damien Gardner02/12/2012 00:19:03
22 forum posts

Yeah it's Glynn's Wrigley paddler Dave I tried your link the prices were good but post on 2- 12" x 48" liteply was 15quid somewhat more the the cost of the ply I'll try art shops locally for card I've seen sheets used as borders on paintings I'll keep looking.

It looks like last nights super storm has passed so I'll hop on my scooter & go searching.

Thanks for the replies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor