Guardsman by Vic Smeed

Wooden hull version of plan MM1330

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Gardner21/03/2013 23:36:55
566 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Tony,

The timber arrived yesterday-cost an arm and a leg, but still cheaper I think than an equivalent GRP hull of a similar size. A luthier friend of mine donated a large lump of obeche which I can saw up for the planking. I decided to build the hull just the same as the original drawings and will laminate the blocks from balsa, then epoxy and plate the hull in card. I saw a method where the card plating was then covered in dilute waterproof PVA and I'm thinking of doing that.

The boat will displace about 19lb. One useful aspect of having the plastic hull is that I could check the displacement- about 4.75lb, and my boat will be 1.6 times the size, giving a scale of 1:20. I just hope all these calculatons are correct.

I have a Cheddar Gemini plant which I think will be adequate to push her along well. A friend has a Seekadett launch with a Gemini which weighs 15lb, and that goes very fast- longer, leaner hull of course.

I might put the plastic hull on ebay so it isn't sitting reproachfully on the workshop shelf!

Happy building....Ian

Tony Hadley04/05/2013 20:01:19
914 forum posts
559 photos

Made a start rough shaping the hull. The bow is begining to look something like but the stern looks difficult.

guardsman 15.jpg

Tony

LARRY WHETTON05/05/2013 09:26:40
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hi Tony,

Nice to see you back on build, had my guardsman on the water wich was quite choppy,

sat up a bit high on water line , but did not take in any water, so added a bit more ballest,

for next sail, and chaning prop to 4 blade brass to stop frothing , and a bit more scale speed,....

your build is looking great , looking to see more of build,....cheers Larry..

Tony Hadley05/05/2013 14:43:36
914 forum posts
559 photos

Thanks Larry,

Keep us informed of the performance of yours with the new prop. The hull shape should provide for good handling in the chop.

As previous, i'm not the quickest of builders, too many other things get in the way. Next stage of mine is to finish the rough shaping, then add filler and sand to something like a reasonable finish.

Tony.

LARRY WHETTON06/05/2013 10:01:17
819 forum posts
600 photos

Good morning Tony,

Hear are luanch pictures with the new mods , no problems new prop is right and performence with the 400 motor combo was bang on can get a move on at full throttle ,

but at slow end is just right , and not bad in stern moves but have watch the water intake ,

a full 1/2 hr sail no water in hull .see pics

john king allso had a day out , and a perfect day for sturmount,

cheers Larry.........

LARRY WHETTON06/05/2013 10:39:43
819 forum posts
600 photos

PICTURES OF LAUNCH.......gaurdsman  launch 004.jpg

gaurdsman  launch 005 edit 2.jpg A NICE BOW WAVE

gaurdsman  launch 014 edit1.jpg IN A HURRY

gaurdsman  launch 015 edit4.jpgON PATROLgaurdsman  launch 031.jpgCOME ON GROMIT

gaurdsman  launch 020 edit5.jpg

gaurdsman  launch 024 edit 6.jpg SURMOUNT

Tony Hadley06/05/2013 12:34:05
914 forum posts
559 photos

Your launch looks excellent in the water, Larry. Gives me the inspiration to speed up the build.

Tony.

Ian Gardner06/05/2013 19:54:04
566 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Tony,

Good to see the launch making progress- looks like a really neat job and it brings back happy memories! I have finished the hull of Veleta and have just this evening glued and taped the deck in place, having drilled the 22 holes for the phosphor bronze ports I've turned- 42 hours so far! I must put the photos up.

Larry, your Guardsman looks absolutely charming out on the water. I could never steer mine in reverse- remember testing the patience of steering course officials on occasions. Yours certainly does pick her skirts up.

All the best...Ian

Tony Hadley18/05/2013 20:18:30
914 forum posts
559 photos

Ian, glad this model is bringing back happy memories and Larry, I can only agree with Ian's comments about your model.

Almost finished rough shaping now, hull should be ready for filler and finish sanding soon. The second photograph shows an indent where the rear planks meet the bread and butter end which filler should rectify. Starting to think about type of filler and hull finish. Glynn Guest in his Ogdensburg American River Ferry (June 2013 MB) used domestic pre-mixed filler. For the small balsa yacht Jenny, Model Lite balsa filler from Hobbys was used, this was easy to sand and was easy to keep level. Bob used P38 on his bamboo planked hull, which I think would be too hard for balsa (unless covering a full hull as against spot/patch filling).

Still unsure whether to fully finish the hull (Kims friend has kindly sent details) or whether to semi-finish and apply card plating. Card already bought from a supplier recommended by Bob some time ago.

Also time to start thinking about a deck which overhangs the hull by approx 3mm, Vic's plan suggests a 1/8" (3mm) balsa deck which I don't think I will adopt. Something like a 1/16" (1.5mm) balsa base deck with a thin 1/32" finishing sheet of ply. The ply finish could be either lined or cut as individual planks, which method to use is still under consideration.

Looking at a motor, I was considering a 380/400 sized motor, but after reading Ron Rees's item in the June 2013 Model Boats magazine a small 2210 brushless could be a better option.

guardsman 17.jpg

guardsman 18.jpg

Tony.

Edited By Tony Hadley on 18/05/2013 20:20:00

Ian Gardner19/05/2013 08:18:39
566 forum posts
1 photos

Good to see progress Tony- she's looking great. Have you thought about LitePly for the deck? I have become a fan, and it seems to have a nice even grain which might be good if you are lining the deck. Birch ply often has a wide, wavy grain which doesn't look nice when stained and lined- in my humble opinion! Of course, planking is a lot more work-as I can testify, as I'm just getting into my stride planking Veleta's deck.

I would certainly go the extra mile and plate the hull- even if it's not really to scale, it adds texture and interest - but again, just a thought.

The plans are packed up ready to post, by the way- couldn't get to the PO yesterday as we went up to Cheddar Steam Club and had a fine time sitting by the water in the sun, watching and sailing boats- I actually caught the sun! I'll pop 'em in the post tomorrow.

All the best...Ian

Edited By Ian Gardner on 19/05/2013 08:20:23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor