Guardsman by Vic Smeed

Wooden hull version of plan MM1330

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley03/02/2013 08:32:54
914 forum posts
559 photos

Hi Bob,

You are quite right, one of the bulkheads is slightly out of square and a (couple of) temporary aligning piece(s) at the top would allow this to be corrected. It would add stability as well. Thanks for the help and advice.

This hull is going to need a lot of sanding to shape.

Tony.

LARRY WHETTON03/02/2013 10:13:24
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hi Tony,

Guardsman coming on well,

mine is now ready for launch with will be at half term, with grandsons Fireboat at the same time,

posted a picture of build stage up to the final addon scracht build bit I/E lights life boys rigging and deck winch, and a bit of weathering.....

also a picture of the the real boat the only one i could fine ...cheers LARRY..pilot boat gaurdsman

GUARDSMAN

ARTHUR COLLETT04/02/2013 13:08:36
80 forum posts
57 photos

HI

Nice balancing trick on that small vise. Looks great

Arthur

LARRY WHETTON05/02/2013 13:21:04
819 forum posts
600 photos

Thank you Arther,

pictures of completed , and a strange model on slipway , being built for grandson ,

will be fitted with floats , so we can fly on the flooded fields . cheers Larry..

Tony Hadley05/02/2013 14:14:40
914 forum posts
559 photos

Larry,

Your Guardsman looks excellent. Looking forward to seeing the sailing photographs soon.

What drive are you using? rerop/motor/batteries etc.

Tony.

LARRY WHETTON05/02/2013 15:28:26
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello Tony,

Thank you forkind words,

detials are 400 speed motor,15amp esc, 30mm nylon prop. 9vlt x2 3cell sticks of 3.6vlts

from emergancy lighting as used in hotels, they fit ether side of hull held in with foam sponge ,

new build now started , Bustler tug model maker plan , have a velem copy ,

and F/G HULL car boot purchase.....nice little build will have plenty of rivetts,

cheers Larry..p2050007.jpg

Edited By LARRY WHETTON on 05/02/2013 15:52:33

Bob Abell06/02/2013 05:12:32
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Hello Tony

This is the Louis Heloise photo I was referring to in your PM

LH page 1

The ribs were open at the top and very wibbly wobbly!

So I glued temporary cross beams,marked the centre line on each crossbeam and aligned all the ribs with a flexible central guide.

Worthy of the Eureka Moments thread?

Bob

Rod smart06/02/2013 17:54:50
62 forum posts
7 photos

Larry is the Plane in kit build,which one ? Rod

Edited By Rod smart on 06/02/2013 17:55:23

LARRY WHETTON07/02/2013 10:50:07
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hi Rod,

The plane is a plan build , of Chatterbox a plan of Vic Smeed. for single chanal

the price of the plan was 3 shillings, i am fitting a 2 chanal and elecric motor ,esc...

and will have floats , i can back to my early roots , forgot how nice a uncovered air frame looks..

cheers Larry...

Rod smart07/02/2013 17:08:05
62 forum posts
7 photos

As soon as the weather picks up I will start on the Tigermoth.What would it look like with floots?

Yes I hear you saying Larry "what about the Jenny".Well I put filler on the hull, then if it's warm I will catalyes some resin and get om with me boat.

PS.love the Boat you seem an ace on the wear finish.Last time I did that was when a mate and I built up British and German Tanks with mods made with plaster card.(60s)

Rod

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor